No announcement yet.

The Weekend the Wees Finally "Did" Something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my ford frt spoiler is attached with push pins and 2 sided tape....its not going anywhere!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Now I'm looking at all of the benefits of getting the lowering springs for it, AND a front spoiler to keep the air out from under it. I mean I really seriously don't like the floating thing the more I think about it. Nossir, I don't like that at all. To the point that I don't want to see 120 again unless and until some corrections are made.

But if I did both of those things, lower and front spoiler, I'd be bound to snowplow a dead skunk in the road on the way to work one of these dark mornings. Us old farts think about little things like that - Red is and should be a daily driver after all, too much fun to not drive it.

My brain is full. Slam full this evening. But I've got a shiny new helmet I can look at. More thoughts later when my thinker is more functional than it is right now.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

So, throughout this so-far-two-month saga of hotrodding (such as it is) we have some life events. I love the car, and now, guess what? Unit loves the car too after having driven it.

So I get home from work today with my brain full (was behind after taking Friday off), and Unit's shopping for front spoilers. She went so far as to call an online hotrod parts distributor and got the car guy on the phone. She'll call somebody in a minute if she has a question about something. I'm more prone to not call somebody. Must be like the "guys won't ask directions" syndrome."

So she tells him what's going on and he straight out of the box, first thing, he says if you want downforce (or less upforce), lower the car. He said the front spoilers are more for looks than function, and I have trouble believing that, but what I don''t know about all of it fills the Library of Congress. Maybe he's trying to sell lowering springs today, I dunno.

But at some point in the back and forth, Unit pointed out a profound thing. She's more than on my side in this pursuit of the Mile thing, don't get me wrong. But she aptly pointed out, "This Mile thing is getting insidious in its proportions."

Profound.

Yes, first I got the car we don't need. Then I get an expensive helmet and join ECTA. and looking at a 200 buck fee to enter. And then we find out the car will need some modifications for it to safely go as fast as it can really go. Maybe it can already, I just hate the feel of the car at speed. I don't like it, and I had to find that out on the highway, risking life and driver's license.

Insidious. Yes it is. One of you guys said early on that I was really in it when I brought the car home, and I'm only finding out.

What was the really stretched-out long car at Maxton year before last that had "Money In, Money Out" on it? The air intake was labeled Money In, and the exhaust was labeled Money Out.

Either we're (I'm) going to do this or not. I just thought I could drive up and go. Uhhh no, not exactly. And we're piddling around with a slow car. I can''t imagine a fast one, what's involved.
        Last edited by pdub; February 6, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

ME's tried to get me hooked on heroin for the same reason - she figures it'll be cheaper. (Not really - but it HAS crossed her mind). Yeah, the whole thing grows on itself.

If I were in your Chuck Taylor's I'd take it exactly as/is for the first trip to the track. Go as fast as you feel safe. Then when you come back for the next meet with the car lowered you can measure the difference - before and after. If you add a spoiler you'll change classes so that messes you up, assuming you run in a class. Might as well as ALL RECORDS ARE OPEN AT THE NEW TRACK! (This is a HUGE hint, If you get to the end of the track first in your class you get a record and qualify for a record holder T-shirt, which is kinda cool.) I don't have the rulebook in front of me but I think you can run PRO(duction) classes but the fuel injection might take you out of that. Anyhow, the car WILL fit in some class that WILL be open.

Have fun! And remember, there's always heroin......

Dan

Comment

I think your car will do 135 as it sits. I do not think it will come off the ground at that speed. If they did I am sure we would have seen it on the evening news by now. There are a few other little safety things that are easy. Go ahead and get metal valve stem caps, and open lug nuts. I am not sure that they do about the Double return spring on a drive by wire car?

Have fun and make a run for me. If you have more time than you know what to do with you can check out my project car threads. I tired to include my results.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell and Dan, y'all are about to talk me into it. All of that stuff makes perfect sense, both of you. Yes, I think so, go as-is.

"There are a few other little safety things that are easy. Go ahead and get metal valve stem caps, and open lug nuts. I am not sure that they do about the Double return spring on a drive by wire car?"

Russell, I already have metal valve stem caps. But not open lug nuts? What's up with that as a safety item? And the double return spring...on a drive by wire car....what's up with that?

Finally somebody finally said, "I do not think you car will leave the ground at 135."

Y'all will laugh at me, and I want you to...120 is as fast as I've ever driven any car, and if that floating effect is something you all live with all the time, then I can deal with it and grin.

With all the useless facts going through my brain (since I don't know), among those thoughts is that when we did 120 the other day, it was with me and Unit and Spanke and a night's worth of luggage and beer in the car, and a full tank of gas, much more weight than there will be on Race Day. And it floated at 120.

I just need(ed) some assurance that the thing won't actually fly. Because I don't know. And don't wanna find out that it WILL.

And the point, "Go as fast as you feel safe..." Yeah, I think I'll give it a try. Sure will. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Unit's reading the rule book, the tiny font hurts my eyes too much. Okay on the lug nuts, now I get it, and figured it out. I'll have to get open-ended ones for sure. Fancy driver's suit at 135 and over? Even if NOT over, ON 135? Wow, this is like deer meat, it gets bigger when you chew it.

So I'll have to go 134.
              Last edited by pdub; February 7, 2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

You can use my suit as long as your legs aren't TOO long (I have them hemmed at 28" inseam). I'll have it there anyway.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  You can use my suit as long as your legs aren't TOO long (I have them hemmed at 28" inseam). I'll have it there anyway.

Dan
                  Thanks Dan, but I'm 30" inseam. I've sent Tonya an email about the verbiage in the rule book. Several times it refers to the rules 135 and under, and then 135 and over. So which is it? Which applies at exactly 135, my target? I'm sure I'll get a great answer. I'm an anal regulations on paper guy. I can't read 'em in a micro font, but I do write them in a larger font at work. There's a 1 mph overlap there, the way it is written. Just need some clarification.
                  Last edited by pdub; February 7, 2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Dan, Where in Wilmington, which motel are you staying at for the April event? If I find out there's a racing slot still available, I'm going to do it.

EDIT: Never mind Dan, we have to stay at a pet friendly motel because Unit and Spakie are coming along for the ride, but not to the track. They can camp well at the motel while I sit in line all day at the Mile doing my thing at the track and tell them about it at the end of the day. That's the plan.

If there's an opening at the track for another wannabe racer....
                    Last edited by pdub; February 7, 2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, more thought and reflection - "drive by wire?" Is that about the throttle connection, to keep the throttle from getting stuck wide open when I'm mashing the gas pedal through the floorboard?

I'm learning, trying to, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                        Okay, more thought and reflection - "drive by wire?" Is that about the throttle connection, to keep the throttle from getting stuck wide open when I'm mashing the gas pedal through the floorboard?

I'm learning, trying to, at least.
                        As I recall your car does not have a throttle cable. Normally you would add a double return spring to the throttle. I do not know how that effects your car.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

have fun PeeDub
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread when Peewee brought up the topic, I would be very surprised if the stock Mustang will hit 135 in a standing mile. Those cars have a big nose, and seem to hit an aero wall around 120 or so based on my experience with my buddy's 07 GT when we have it out on the big track at Mosport. You come through a 50ish mph corner, then accelerate up the very long back straight. With more gear, a CAI and a tune, the acceleration up the straight improved, but the indicated speed at the end of the straight was still the same at around 120 - 125 mph before the mods, depending on conditions.

cheers
                            Ed
                            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Peewee let me see your keys let me tape it up and make a couple passes I will bet $1 I can get a 135+ out of that car. I know a fox is smaller but they also don't make as much power.

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                                As I mentioned in another thread when Peewee brought up the topic, I would be very surprised if the stock Mustang will hit 135 in a standing mile. Those cars have a big nose, and seem to hit an aero wall around 120 or so based on my experience with my buddy's 07 GT when we have it out on the big track at Mosport. You come through a 50ish mph corner, then accelerate up the very long back straight. With more gear, a CAI and a tune, the acceleration up the straight improved, but the indicated speed at the end of the straight was still the same at around 120 - 125 mph before the mods, depending on conditions.

cheers
                                Ed
                                I don't think it will either Ed (in a mile), but I just don't know and that's why I want to try. A try and see. The car will no doubt do it, the guy I bought if from said he'd had it buried at 140 before (that's all that's on the speedometer), but on that day I had no reason to ask him how long that it took to get there.

I don't think Red will do it, but it'll be in the neighborhood and it'll be fun to try. If Red doesn't fly. Meanwhile the rulebook is kicking my ass. Car Guy 401 class for a third grader. Hmmmm....huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X