Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know stuff about old coins and stamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know stuff about old coins and stamps?

As we are beginning the process of going through my grandfather's stuff, he told us to take special care of the items in a couple of areas of the house.

As it turns out, he has a substantial collection of old coins and a pretty massive stamp collection. I think when we get things all organized we're going to have an appraiser or something come in and go through what's here because we really have no idea of the value or anything along those lines.

I talked to one guy I know and mentioned that we have stacks of Carson silver dollars and I though he was going to jump through the phone at me. If anyone knows about old coins and stamps or if this is of interest, I will post photos of what we dig up as we are going through it all.

The stamp collection seems to be very large (to me anyway, who does not collect stamps).

Interesting stuff that we never even really knew that he had.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; February 6, 2012, 07:21 AM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Check this site out Brian

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Brian, you are looking at $700-800 each for those Carson Dollars, and that's in semi-dinged up condition. Perfect uncirculated stuff will be substantially more.

They were minted at the Carson City Mint, which was established just to coin the gold and silver from the Carson City Mines. Cool history on these....

Considering that these were hauled in bags on wagons pulled by mules over mountain passes...... finding a "mint" condition one is EXTREMELY unlikely, so don't be too put off if they all show signs of wear.
      Last edited by STINEY; February 6, 2012, 07:43 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

My Grandfather was also a coin collector. When he passed my Mom got your job. He had three large chests stuffed absolutely FULL of silver coins. He had to reinforce the floor of his house to hold them. There were several of those valuable quarters with the S mint mark.... and allot of other valuable coins... The first "appraiser" came and offered a cash buyout. I can't remember any exact amounts, but it wasn't much above face value for them. This was 1980 or so. She paid another "appraiser" to come look and he also offered her a check for the 'lot'.... Mom took the offer. Big mistake. Turns out the 2 appraisers were related. We got taken big time. If you are not hurting for cash, I would take my time and research each item... I know, that's a bunch of labor... but you may have a treasure in there that is worth as much as all the rest of the items combined... the only way to truly know what ya got is to look for yourself...It could be a big paying hobby for ya on feebay.....same with stamps I would imagine...good luck Brian.
        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Thanks for the advice Olds and Stiney, I am headed over today and will take a bunch of photos.
          We will make sure to get a reputable person to come in and look this stuff over, I can see where it would be easy for someone to say that it is all junk and try to cut a deal for it.

I am not looking to make money on this myself, just want to make sure the family gets fair value. My grandmother will be in assisted living for the remainder of her days and the bills stack up pretty quick on that.

Brian
          Last edited by Brian Lohnes; February 6, 2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

That's the kind of stuff that you can put on ebay with good clear photos and descriptions, and probably get decent money for. You need to do your research first though! and part of that research is looking at ebay completed listings for similar items, to see what they were bid up to.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

An extreme example....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Damn!!
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Boy I wish Old Man Loper was still around, I'd have you call him, he had a HUGE coin collection......What I was told is that he sold a bunch of the really rare stuff before he died, in his words if you didn't know the right people to sell them to, you'd lose out on a lot of money......There were supposedly silver dollars in his collection that are worth $20,000 a piece and he had like 50 of them.......Anyway do your homework and talk with more than a couple coin collectors and you'll probably do good for yourself.......

I do know they have books on rare coins, so you might want to check your local library......
                  Last edited by TC; February 6, 2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

i do some half assed coin collecting, its best IMO to seek a proffesional apraiser. Let them know you are not interested in selling anything or take a small sample to them to get an idea..people are vultures. there are a lot of books you can get your hands on that will give you coin vaules and such. most can be had at Barnes and Noble for under 20 bucks...a good investment even for a small time collector like me. and those silver dollars are worth a lot of money like Stiney said...My father in law has a few of them and sold them for about 700 a pop to cover some bills and tie up an estates loose ends.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                      My Grandfather was also a coin collector. When he passed my Mom got your job. He had three large chests stuffed absolutely FULL of silver coins. He had to reinforce the floor of his house to hold them. There were several of those valuable quarters with the S mint mark.... and allot of other valuable coins... The first "appraiser" came and offered a cash buyout. I can't remember any exact amounts, but it wasn't much above face value for them. This was 1980 or so. She paid another "appraiser" to come look and he also offered her a check for the 'lot'.... Mom took the offer. Big mistake. Turns out the 2 appraisers were related. We got taken big time. If you are not hurting for cash, I would take my time and research each item... I know, that's a bunch of labor... but you may have a treasure in there that is worth as much as all the rest of the items combined... the only way to truly know what ya got is to look for yourself...It could be a big paying hobby for ya on feebay.....same with stamps I would imagine...good luck Brian.
                      That's too bad, next time - seriously - call a lawyer. When an appraiser buys from a person (a client), they are required by law to act in the person's best interest (buying their coins for pennies on the dollar is not the client's best interest). Most states have laws that punish this behavior with both actual damages and punitive damages (read, you'd own both of their houses, and everything that make for the next 20 years). Of course, the bad news here is it's likely that the statute of limitations has expired.

Of course, the bad news is kind of good news for your mom. Your mom could have been held liable as well for failing her fiduciary duty of getting the best price for the coins....

Brian, please, talk to an attorney to get the recommendation for an appraiser then you have their bar license, and insurance on the line if something goings sideways
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 6, 2012, 10:36 AM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

^^^ Good advice SBG! My dad is meeting with the attorney either tonight or tomorrow anyway and I will have him ask Andy (the attorney) for a recommendation.

Thanks for the advice thus far fellas.

Brian

Comment

Wholy cow!
                          I checked out that ebay auction... My gramps also left me a big ol sack of silver coins (and guns), They are mostly turn of the century stuff... I had no idea there might be some real gems in the bag. (Gramps liked silver, not coins) Im in the same boat as you Brian, so keep us informed as to how it works out. Im going to break the bag open tonight and see what Ive got.
                          BKB
                          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            Excellent example of uncirculated vs circulated.

These particular coins.... finding an uncirculated one is virtually impossible as the only uncirculated ones were from a very small batch that was stashed/lost in Government inventory for a very long time.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Not wanting to hijack anything...
                              I pulled the bag o coins out after reading Brians post. most all of the coins are from 1920-1922, but a few are 1880-1890...here they are...
                              How can you tell if its a cc coin? sorry about the fuzzy pics
                              BKB
                              Attached Files
                              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                              X