Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHR's Engine Masters Challenge 2012, Here we go again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHR's Engine Masters Challenge 2012, Here we go again.

Here we go again, once more into the breach...

Last year's "Danny Miller's Hot Heads Racing and Research/Gene Adams Performance" 385 Hemi was highly successful in one sense, we picked up the pieces after Danny's untimely passing and ran his engine (without blowing it up) at the 2011 competition in Ohio. We chronicled that installment, with all its trials and tribulations here:

The strip had a nice race/show. Western Fuel Altered's Nitro cars / Alky cars plus a nice sized show. The pics are not great due to the suns position and my

Suffice it to say, that we all scrambled and no one really had a handle on everything that was hanging on that engine. Hell, we didn't even know that we had .950 intake valve lift until we got to the dyno and set up a dial indicator. Danny took most of the detailed information with him, hopefully its helping him go fast in the hereafter.

This year the rules threw us for a loop out of the box. We decided to drop down to the street division, but the initial rule set had us stuck for a 400ci minimum. That's a tough expensive proposition for an early Hemi. We spent the last two months looking for the proper block/crank combo to make it work. We even thought at one point about running the 385, and taking the point hit for calling it a 400.

But, things got much better last week. First set of rule revisions rolled in, and the minimum ci is now at 300! Woot!!! Now we can get back to the regularly scheduled program, reusing many of the prior parts.

So we present this year's "Danny Miller's Hot Heads/Gene Adams/Smithberg Racing" 385 Chrysler Hemi.

Pretty much the same team.

Bob & Debra Walker at Hot Heads remain the driving force, providing parts, funding and advice.
    Gene Adams is doing the engine assembly and providing a lifetime's worth of expertise.
    Nick Smithberg is the porting and fabrication savant
    Scott Clark is bringing his magic fingers to "Geek" the tune
    John Beck is on the throttle for the dyno
    Scott Courtney is wiring perfection
    Elaine Miller keeps us all happy and moving in the right direction
    And there are a bunch of other folks that are helping in many different ways to try and get to the top of the podium.

With the change in the cubic inch minimum, we're already looking at dyno dates. We hope to spend the year more in a tuning mode than a construction mode. We'll try a couple of different flavors of cylinder heads, several different cams, a bunch of header/exhaust combos and then settle on the proper combo. Hopefully we'll not chase the "Stroker McGurk" syndrome and avoid the valvetrain breakage that we experienced last year. No more "three dyno pulls and we have to relash the valves."

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Bob Holmes; February 7, 2012, 04:13 PM.
    I'm still learning

good luck! well you guys have skill, you wont need luck as much
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

you going to 300 inches then??

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71 View Post
        you going to 300 inches then??
        our best combo so far was the "accidental 385" we put together for EFI testing. It scored an amazingly high EMC number, well over 2900 points. It also made 1.6 ft/lb per cube at peak torque, on pump gas, which is pretty crazy for an early hemi. We want to start with a combo similar to that magic piece, and optimize from there. Maybe up the compression a little. Not sure. I will be bringing back the same EFI system and ignition, which worked to our advantage.

I can't wait to get back on the pump at ProMachine!!!!
        Last edited by dieselgeek; February 8, 2012, 08:57 AM.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The minimum is 300ci, so 385 works well.

I talked to Gene for a while this evening, he can't wait to get his hands on the short block and figure out which piston configuration to use.

The "accidental 385," pretty catchy turn of phrase there, Scott.
          Last edited by Bob Holmes; February 7, 2012, 08:28 PM.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Good luck you guys!!!!.......

Comment

Good Luck guys!
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Yeah, good luck.
                I was wondering if your success last year had any impact on the momentarly cubic inch rule change?
                You guys will probably do better anyway, as you've gone past the building stage and have learned about your engine more. Things like valve springs can really tag you in the rear if you're not expecting it.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

oh I missed that it was a minimum C.I.D

Comment

Got my "Pile O' Parts" for the Induction side all here. I plan to start the R&D side of things next week after I finish a few customer jobs. I will pry post some things from my end of the process as I go - stay tuned.
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Great to hear, Nick.

We're three months from first dyno session.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Well, I finally got caught up on my work so I got after our EMC project last night. Next was flow testing two sets of heads we have. The first set was the ones we ran at EMC last year along with my manifold assembly to flow as a complete package. It is nice to know where you have been, capture the info, troubleshoot, revise, and move forward in hopes of major improvements. Our other set of heads are worthy of a test that we plan to do and show signs of being strong runners! Time will tell.

Last edited by BOSSMAN; February 28, 2012, 09:50 PM.
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

This year should be awesome. This is the first time we've had a dedicated airflow guru able to confirm or deny our guesstimates on a number of things. nick - you rule!!
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

And.....we've been selected as participants once again.

Bob Walker did the post mortem on the 2011 engine. The short block has been sent to Gene Adams and Nick Smithberg (as you've seen above) has been working his magic on the top end.

Two months to dyno session one, May 26th and 27th at John Beck's ProMachine in Chico Ca. The "Thrash" has already begun.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Whoo Hoo!
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                              X