Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHR's Engine Masters Challenge 2012, Here we go again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TC View Post
    By Street style engine are you talking like an engine that some schmuck like myself could build and enter??......
    Check out the rules at www.enginemasters.com and you decide if you are up for the Challenge. Then download and fill out the application before the deadline.
    -dulcich

Comment

• What I like about EMC is I get to see the top of the line engines that I will never own.
      It is always nice seeing how they do.
      I appreciate the guys sharing what they did..

Comment

• Originally posted by TC View Post
        By Street style engine are you talking like an engine that some schmuck like myself could build and enter??......
        a lot of the engines there are built from low buck or cast off parts. A couple of guys built an SB2 combo in 2011 that kicked major ass and they said it was built for under $5000 their cost (obviously they have a lot of parts laying around, but then agan so do you!).

Also, in 2011 Hunkins talked about the possibility of a "claimer engine" class which I thought would have been very cool. It never came to fruition, I'm not sure what was found wrong with the idea, but it would be killer to be able to go to the event and see how a builder could do with a claimer rule. knowing that your engine's going to be sold for $3000 at the end of the event keeps the build costs down I think.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• Thanks for stopping by, Steve.

EMC is a sweet addiction. I don't think I've participated in any facet of hot rodding that has provided such a learning and growing experience.

By April I'll be itching for a dyno weekend...
          I'm still learning

Comment

• Originally posted by dulcich View Post
            Thanks for the input and feedback, Bill. For EMC '13 we are returning to a one class format, with production-style heads, as defined by the new rules. The regulars at Engine Masters have become a major part of the event, and getting together with these guys is something I look forward to each year.

Actually, we are looking to get back to the roots of the event, with street style engines and a major effort to build up an outrageously fat purse for the Championship.
            -dulcich
            I looked at the new PHR today. They showed 31 engines in Muscle Car class and none of them looked like anything I've seen in a street car. I'm not going pretend like I know anything about the rules, but article title and the pictures of the engines didn't seem to match at all. A lot looked like Nascar engines with tunnel rams. I'm still a newby when it comes to engine building science so I try to read this stuff to learn more.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I looked at the new PHR today. They showed 31 engines in Muscle Car class and none of them looked like anything I've seen in a street car. I'm not going pretend like I know anything about the rules, but article title and the pictures of the engines didn't seem to match at all. A lot looked like Nascar engines with tunnel rams. I'm still a newby when it comes to engine building science so I try to read this stuff to learn more.

If your friends build 600+hp engines for street cars ,then they have to look like EMC engines. Most EMC engines are 70-120hp DOWN on peak power in order to score well at the event.

Around here, an EMC type engine is pretty common in a street car. Most competitors are using parts they have lying around, which makes it tough to do well at the event because what you want there is an RV engine, not a race engine. Torque is king, you need around 1.45 - 1.5 ft-lbs per cubic inch to be a player. That is serious street car engine territory, but not a drag racing or nascar engine.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                Scott, the first dozen or so engines featured were Xtreme Division competitors - full on race engines, T-rams, Nascar stuff all legal. In the street division it was production style heads and valvetrain, single 4150, 10.5:1 compression, dual plane intake for carbs (efi rules were more liberal), hydraulic cam, 6500 rpm max. Granted the full length oil pans make them look unusual, but those are going away for next year.
                -dulcich
                Last edited by dulcich; December 17, 2012, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Man I miss this.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

• So Bob, is it dead?
                    Can't remember reading abou it lately..
                    My rememberer isn't the greatest...

Comment

• But hey, DB, our forgetters work GREAT!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        But hey, DB, our forgetters work GREAT!

Dan
                        That is for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

and puddling is lack of vacuum.

making up for mistakes is a tune no matter what the realm is.

I was curious to the question of exhausts leaving too fast as well. I thought scavenge timing and fast as possible was the answer. I learn something all time.
                          above quote of myself is 2012 in this thread.

I still play around..would love to see the pros go at it again.

this posted today by "smarter every day." he is a rocket scientist.. doesn't talk of that much though.

of course, I only see an engine cylinder there.

this shows gasses still compress even further after the spark.
                          that delay is the thud we hear in the exhaust.

always amazing.
                          since 2012 I have center times a L30 vortec in a pickup.. gained all the way around.
                          I also made my home made rochester scream even louder on a dual port boxer I built.
                          when torque numbers go up, not just hp.. that is the champion.

in a way..the engine with less hp number may be the giant.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 22, 2016, 08:06 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Horses for courses. pardon the pun.

is anyone associated with BS doing EMC this year? I assume there is one, was one? You can see how this has slipped from my consciousness.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                            X