Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any update on the M-800 manual trans?

Escaped on a technicality.

Cool piece, I would have purchased one 12 months ago had it been available. Instead I put together my G-Force T5.
    Hope it sees the light of day soon.
    I think there is a pretty big market for a small, durable 5-speed that fits in the limited space of most muscle cars and classics.

Comment

It has not been part of their SEMA display and was not discussed at MPMC so I think it is a dead player.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Comment

That's too bad. I was interested in that one too. I'd kind of like to put a 5-speed in the '68 Mustang GT without cutting anything up. I think a TKO 5-speed may work, but the McLeod sounded perfect.

Passon Performance has been working on a 5-speed that's a direct bolt-in replacement for the Chrysler A-833 Hemi 4-speed, but it's been delayed several times too. I think they had problems with porosity in the castings for the case. I'd be looking to put one of those in my '68 Charger R/T if they ever come out.

Comment

Silver, I am pretty sure that the M-800 was going tomdebut as an 833 bolt in, too. HMMMMMM
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

do what new process did - cast iron case

Comment

I imagine with relatively small outfits like this, tackling something as complex as designing and manufacturing a new transmission, if something goes wrong - you could be out of business. The investment must be huge to do something like this. I don't know if they did a whole run of cases, and then found out they leak, or just made a few prototypes. It was really hard to track down information.

I'd still buy one, and the Charger isn't even in the on-deck project slot, so I can wait.

Comment

It is a shame that a product failed to make it to the market because they could not find a supplier in the USA capable of making gearsets to the required standard at a price that the market could bear. A real shame.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I pass there shop quite often, they have some nice cars in the lobby!
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I been thinking about Keislers rs-600. all the features of a TKO , plus some others.
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                        I pass there shop quite often, they have some nice cars in the lobby!
                        good guys to deal with , but hey , the kit guys with the hurst name ain't the only game in town

Comment

For the price of a transzilla, I can Have skeet at G-force build me one. I have a rule to have more $$$ in my engine than my transmission! lol
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                            For the price of a transzilla, I can Have skeet at G-force build me one. I have a rule to have more $$$ in my engine than my transmission! lol

Haha, I know that rule! When I was a broke college student trying to afford building a 455 for the Skylark, I plunked down my savings for a TKO-600. I think I had $2200 in the transmission (and clutch, etc) and only around $1500 in the engine. The engine only lasted 50 miles, d'oh! But I have well over 40,000 on the transmission now. COMPLETELY worth it.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                              It is a shame that a product failed to make it to the market because they could not find a supplier in the USA capable of making gearsets to the required standard at a price that the market could bear. A real shame.
                              Could you cite the report that states this? Not doubting, just would like to read it for myself. There are a number of good gear manufacturers in the US (Jerico, Emco, etc) but I'm guessing that a full syncro gearset is needed for these street bound vehicles, and that this is not their forte. Also, I'm thinking that the price point for these gearboxes is pretty high (our used Jerico 4 speed in the LSR car was only 2200$ with my choice of gears) and that supply/demand projections didn't look profitable. The gear availability claim might just be a convenient place to lay the blame for the failure of the overall project. vic
                              vic NASCARland

Comment

Working...
                              X