Favorite "automotive-tech" authors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite "automotive-tech" authors?

I spend a lot of time readin a lot of "tech" books. Looking at the popular press (as opposed to SAE Papers, text books, etc) Who do you guys like. Now I'm not asking you who you think is full of bull, but who do you read?

I read stuff by Jim McFarland, Harold Bettes, David Vizard, Reher Morrison, Smokey, Geoff Goddard, Prof Gordon Blair, Carroll Smith, Richard Holdenor, etc.The list of stuff goes on and on.

Who do you read? Who's stuff do you actively seek out? I've spent some stupid money buying out of print books.
    I'm still learning

Nobody?? Really?
    I'm still learning

Comment

Mark Donahues book I think it was called the unfair advantage. Its a lifestyle LOL Its more about how to look outside the box for something no one else will even think about doing.
      Last edited by JeffMcKC; February 10, 2012, 02:24 PM.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Paul Van Valkenburg was the author of that one and he has written several technical books which are great, so he is on the list. Richard Holdernor is awesome and I count him up there with Vizard. Jim McFarland is probably my favorite guy to read in this realm though. Brilliant guy who can really boil it down for an idiot like me.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I like to read David Vizard's articles,very interesting but a little over my head sometimes. Ray Bohacz that writes for Hemmings Muscle Machines writes some very good articles too.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
            I like to read David Vizard's articles,very interesting but a little over my head sometimes. Ray Bohacz that writes for Hemmings Muscle Machines writes some very good articles too.
            What he said...Ray Bohacz, and Vizard too.
            Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Missed this thread till today. Marlan Davis, Jeff Smith, Jim McFarland . Basically the tech in the top six hot rod type car titlles. I'd love to read Smokey's stuff.
              Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 13, 2012, 09:18 AM.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I also like to read most anything by Billy Shope one of the Ram Chargers and a Big Thinker

Comment

Bill's stuff is great. His website with all his formulas and thoughts is awesome.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

while not specifically Tech, some dude named Baskerville hooked me on magazines. Smokey's Power Secrets was an early influence, as was Hugh McInnes. The list of folks I like is long, the ones I don't like is short. Vizard irritates me for some reason but I'll read it anyway.
                    Last edited by Beagle; February 13, 2012, 10:52 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Vizard is a base, but he is all has to be this % or that %, which lacks room for "creativity"

Comment

Who wrote the original "holley carburetors and manifolds" books.... I think it was published by HP.

Regardless - that book really helped me understand what made carbs tick. Smokey was one heck of a practical engineer, need to read his book again.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

List the ones you like, please!

C'mon, I even said please.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Lingenfelter.
                            Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 13, 2012, 12:01 PM.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I know a guy was a VERY Good friend of Smokey's (and a lot of other Historic guys we all would love to lead his life AJ Foyts best freind), He said he never met anyone with more common sense than Smokey Had.

Comment

Working...
                              X