Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthplace of HotRodding Poll: ProhibitionEra Bootleggers or returning WWII soldiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthplace of HotRodding Poll: ProhibitionEra Bootleggers or returning WWII soldiers?

As the title says, lets put it to a vote. Only room for one to be first in the timeline, so who was it?
    Prohibition Era Bootleggers
    42.11%
    Returning WWII soldiers
    57.89%
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Where's the option for the guys racing on the dry lakes in the 1930s?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

When did Prohibition pass? Seems it was a little prior to that...?
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

board track racers

Comment

As I am given to understand this, the prohibition era bootleggers gave birth to NASCAR and autoracing in general, while the returning WWII Vets embraced the freedom of the open road on motorcycles...

My Grandfather was a Prohibition era bootlegger, rather successful, jailed for a time, and I have the gun he used...

Gail
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            As I am given to understand this, the prohibition era bootleggers gave birth to NASCAR and autoracing in general, while the returning WWII Vets embraced the freedom of the open road on motorcycles...

My Grandfather was a Prohibition era bootlegger, rather successful, jailed for a time, and I have the gun he used...

Gail
            I was going to post the same thing..you tree'd me..
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I feel so mean when I tree somebody! Please accept my apology!

~Gail
              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; February 10, 2012, 07:24 PM.
              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

well, I was not run up a tree by coon hounds so no appology required...
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Got to be the World War Two guys like Gene Adams' father. That's where all the good stuff came from: Supercharging, Turbocharging, Methanol Injection, Nitrous Oxide, Nitromethane...!

Imagine a time when your LIFE possibly depended on how much reliable power you could squeeze from internal combustion engines like the Merlin, Meteor, Allison 1710, and all those crazy huge Radials...!

Just my opinion, but to me that's the beginning of the good stuff.
                  Last edited by dieselgeek; February 10, 2012, 07:42 PM.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Alexander Winton-Ransom Olds. Ormond Beach, FL, 1903.

Comment

Hot rodding started the day after a guy lost the race against the cross town rival. It was when he started modifying the car to beat that guy the next.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                        Alexander Winton-Ransom Olds. Ormond Beach, FL, 1903.
                        Came here to say basically this.
                        1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                        1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Since damn few of us posting here were around when hot rodding started in the 20's & 30's, I think the poll is incomplete, and we should be asking someone who was ACTUALLY THERE. So in other words, shut up - unless you are at least 70 years old.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                            Since damn few of us posting here were around when hot rodding started in the 20's & 30's, I think the poll is incomplete, and we should be asking someone who was ACTUALLY THERE. So in other words, shut up - unless you are at least 70 years old.
                            LMAO! Like grumpy Stude. Where's Monk to suggest a bran muffin?
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

flatheads are hot rods ?

Comment

Working...
                              X