Best Drag Radial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Drag Radial

I have run the M/T drag radials and like them, but there are alot of company's offering drag radial. With Hoosier, Goodyear, M&H, and the new Versoin of the Nitto availible was wondering if the M/T was still king? The car is kinda heavy 3,700 or so and power should be around 600+ at the wheels. Was thinking 275-60-15's. Any thoughts?

Hard to say- After driving cars with a few different drag radials (althought mostly lower profile ones) Ill say this-

For a cart with a lot of street miles, you cant beat the 555R. Its not as soft as the other radials, but you will get more miles out of it, and if you are ever caught in a rainstorm or have to drive a wet road, you arent all over like the MT's tend to be. Comparing them to the BFG drag radials, they get more miles out of them and again, handle the rain better. the MT's and new NT05's seem to be close competition- the mickeys stick like stink, but have the least expected life. The medium would be the NT05, but you are giving ssome traction for street manners.
    Local person
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
      Hard to say- After driving cars with a few different drag radials (althought mostly lower profile ones) Ill say this-

For a cart with a lot of street miles, you cant beat the 555R. Its not as soft as the other radials, but you will get more miles out of it, and if you are ever caught in a rainstorm or have to drive a wet road, you arent all over like the MT's tend to be. Comparing them to the BFG drag radials, they get more miles out of them and again, handle the rain better. the MT's and new NT05's seem to be close competition- the mickeys stick like stink, but have the least expected life. The medium would be the NT05, but you are giving ssome traction for street manners.
      I agree with all of this. I've driven through some nasty weather in 555rs. There was one rainstorm after last years power tour that caused me to have to pull into a gas station because I could feel the rear of the car floating but they do much better than the bugs I've had in the rain. As far as hooking I'd add the m&h drag radials to the mix too. I have a set of those on my gn right now and they seem comparable to MT drs.
      Powertour off/on since 2002
      sigpic

Comment

I have run the older version of the Nitto ang agree about being a good balance, but this will not be my DD just raced and run on drag week so am looking for hook and as long as I can make drag week on one set don't car about how fast they ware out

Comment

I think Squirrel drove all over the country for last years DW on a set of used Craigslist BFG DR's ? I am thinking about the Nittos, I had good experiences with the 555's on my last Mustang, but haven't tried their DR's.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've seen more M/T's on dedicated race cars than any other brand.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              I think Squirrel drove all over the country for last years DW on a set of used Craigslist BFG DR's ? I am thinking about the Nittos, I had good experiences with the 555's on my last Mustang, but haven't tried their DR's.
              The ones I took on DW last year were slightly used Craigslist MT drag radials. 3700 miles on DW from home and back again, never had to take the tires off the car. We did encounter rain, and I didn't notice any ill handling. They still have some tread on them, although I don't know if I'd make another long trip on them.

I also have a set of old free worn out BFG drag radials that I've run on at a couple other strips, but I've only put maybe a couple thousand miles on them.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I just ordered a new set of M/T's went to a 325-50-15 max size for the car and the class.

Comment

Shawn, take a careful read of the rules and the specified tread width. For several classes they mention both 325 and 11.5". On the MT website they list the tread width as 11.6"

I'm hopeful that they will simply allow MT's, Hoosier and other well known braands based on the tire size period.

BTW a couple years ago I swtiched from MT's to Hoosiers as I found them far more forgiving if they spin instead of dead hook. This with 800 RWHP and 4000# race weight.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Damn I read that wrong, may cancel my order and go with315 hoosiers

Comment

Working...
                    X