No announcement yet.

Copyright of pictures posted online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they are using your intellectual property, photograph, artwork, or other thing you created for a business, you should get a cut. Think of it this way, it isnt just to protect you or make you money, its also to protect the guys who rely on photography, art, etc. for a living. If they just go around willy nilly using pics from the net , not paying for it, not giving recognition, and without express permission, then someone somewhere is losing business. Working with images and artwork is not exactly incredibly profitable, so those people need the protection and support from all of us.

From what I have found Matt Cramer has it right, you have copyright unless you give it away when you produce the image or artwork. Its a rather big deal among the people who do this for a living, or even as a supplemental source of income.

Comment

So- yes, you hold a copyright on an image you create whether or not it bears the circle c. The US hasn't required that mark since 1989 when we adopted the Berne convention for copyright.

Depending on where you posted the image you may or may not have actual rights to the version of the image that is online. For example, photobucket allows you to keep all the rights to the media that you post. Facebook, not so much. Sites like flickr allow you to post under a creative commons license, which you normally set what you allow other people to legally do.

Less related to your original post, but something worth watching about the internet, copyright, and where we stand in it is this:

Comment

[QUOTE=ls7gto;

The only time I had an issue was when a local business used a landscape shot of mine on all 24 of their vans. They got the picture from a friends print shop that was doing calendars for friends for Christmas. I was not happy, since I was asked to put it on one van, and I said as long as my name is on it for credit. They said nevermind......and then put it on 24 of them. ( without credit) I took it as a FU, and asked them to remove It. Again I got a FU. So I threatened both the print shop, and the business with court action. Last Time I checked , its been removed from every van. I would've rather had recognition.[/QUOTE]

Yep, me too. For crying out loud, if they are business , you know they want paid . They also wouldn't want credit for someone crappy work. You should be able to at least approve what its on.
        Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 14, 2012, 07:33 PM.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Yea, I thought it would be cool to see my picture rolling down the road....but i wanted people to know it was mine! ( at that time I was thinking of trying to start a photography business. (gave up on that long ago)
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Public domain. Watermark your stuff if your concerned others will use it without permission. I'd call 'em and see if I could dig a little gold and ask (very nicely and tellling them i am flattered they would use my image...) for that discount...20% one time maybe.....?
            If I got a no... well, i wouldn't buy their stuff and I prolly wouldn't say nice things about thier denial of the discount, IF anybody asked... but i wouldn't be upset. I'd sure tell all my friends it was my pic on them trucks or on that banner.. though! Kinda cool really.......2 cts imo.
            Last edited by oldsman496; February 14, 2012, 09:04 PM.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

My pics are over the place. Mostly members here copying and pasting on other websites and forums. The blog I wrote on Yannick Sire's twin engined rod has been all but plaguerized on other websites. That pissed me off.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It is NOT public domain,if you took the pic. it is your property and you dont have to matermark it. I would send them a bill, if they refuse,tell them to take it down. I get people copying stuff from virtually every race I go to,it gets frustrating.Here is a very short rundown on copyright law.http://www.ehow.com/facts_5297841_ph...ight-laws.html

Comment

if you google kayson chevrolet images , my nova comes up ..

Comment

Originally posted by kelly andersen View Post
                    It is NOT public domain,if you took the pic. it is your property and you dont have to matermark it. I would send them a bill, if they refuse,tell them to take it down. I get people copying stuff from virtually every race I go to,it gets frustrating.Here is a very short rundown on copyright law.http://www.ehow.com/facts_5297841_ph...ight-laws.html
                    Kelly, since you make a living with your cameras, what about model releases. when /where do you need them?
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by kelly andersen View Post
                      Ummmm.... actually enforcing this is the problem. Yeah I know... bummer right?.. Well it is what it is and you ain't gonna change it. if ya wanna stomp your feet and yell, thats your perogative. good luck with it.
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I know on a couple of websites where in their rules it says if you post a pic on their site it becomes their property..........I really don't see the problem here, if you take a pic and post it on the internet for all to see, you have to figure that someone might copy and paste the address of the pic to share with others.......Which brings up advertising.....as I see it when someone shares your pic they are advertising your pic, so maybe they should send you a bill for the advertising/marketing of your pic.........Which brings up water marks or signing your pics, by doing so people know who took the pics, when someone shares it, the people that see the pic see your water mark or signature and they then know you took the pics and the guy that shared it just gave you some "free" advertising.......

Now if someone is using your pic to make money that is a different story and you should be compensated.........But then if you are using a website to market your photography, then you might want to compensate the website owner for allowing you to post your money making photos on their site........I mean is it really fare to make money off of someone else's website and not share the wealth with the owner of said website??............

Comment

I checked I still have the orignal picture on my camera. As far as I can remember I have only uploaded it to Photobucket, and BS (I think its just linked to PB?) This is a simple picture of a car taken with 4 meg point and shot. If I post something on here and Admin wants to use it I think thats the coolest thing ever. <--- that picture made the front page one day. I did not take said picture (I am in the car) but I did pay $ for it from the person who did. I don't see anything wrong with that. I agree I more or less gave it to them by putting it on their site.

As far as the people that say once you post it on the web its fair game, I disagree how would you feel is someone took a picture of your mother/wife/daughter's pretty face and put it on an ad for.....

I have not contacted the guy yet, I plan on contacting him in a nice way. I don't care so much that he uses it but I do think he should have asked, and I think he should hook me up. He is more or less calling my car a piece of junk by using it for his ad. I found it on one site that allows your signature to move. Shows my car, his logo covers it, then a pictures of another car, kind of a before and after.

I am thinking about posting a link to it.
                          Last edited by Russell; February 15, 2012, 11:24 AM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                          X