MSD 6A or ProComp 6AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD 6A or ProComp 6AL?

OK, now that I have your bowls in an uproar relax. I'm not even thinking of the procrap. While I like the GM style HEI I'm running on my Mustang one big problem is that I can't run the straight Monte Carlo bar I bought a few years back. I have a Accel blueprinted series stock distributor my brother gave me for Xmas a few years back along with a Pertronix pick up. In addition I'm looking to upgrade the ignition in my wife's 69 Mustang. I was thinking of a MSD 6A, either the older analog or new digital, propably the odler analog because they're cheaper and will be more then sufficient. Doing a little investigating I find out you could pick up a dead MSD of ebay cheap and for about $35 MSD will recondition it. From what I've read they recondition it by installing new electronics. Seems like pretty good customer service and good deal. Essentially ending up with basically a new unit for under $100. I lke that!

The Mallory Hyfire looks pretty good as well. I would think it compare equally to the MSD at least. If I got a dead Hyfire, does Mallory offer a similar program? How is the Hyfire, I'm kind of leaning toward it.

In both cars I'll be triggering it with a Pertronix as I already have them for both cars. Oh, yeah, coil recommendations? Not looking for a big E core. One last question, any of you Ford guys know of a smaller points style cap but with male terminals instead of female for the stock distributor? I would like to keep the HEI wires I bought.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

You can buy new terminals and boots from a real auto parts store.

I'd stay away from mallory electronic stuff, but that's just me...you'll hear other guys saying to stay away from msd stuff.

I would like to find an old 6AL for a reasonable price, but I haven't really been looking. I guess they're out there somewhere.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      You can buy new terminals and boots from a real auto parts store.

I'd stay away from mallory electronic stuff, but that's just me...you'll hear other guys saying to stay away from msd stuff.

I would like to find an old 6AL for a reasonable price, but I haven't really been looking. I guess they're out there somewhere.
      Jim, My dad has an new "old" 6al still in the box, Ill ask what he is doing with it. I use the Digital 6plus on my GTO, I like having no chips , start retard, and to rpm limits built in.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I've had to send my Mallory stuff back to be fixed, I've had good service with them.
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
        X