I'm a "Routine" Person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a "Routine" Person

When I first wake up, routine is what holds me together. I have to have it, have to live my whole life like a clock. Same thing, or at least some scheduled thing. Procedural steps, which is why I love writing procedures. Step 1, Step 2, etc.

It's not a new thing. I vividly remember when I was a kid, getting ready for school, my mom decided one day to fill the breakfast table with a giant spread. I don't know what got into her, ask the woman expert that question I guess. But on this day instead of a Pop-Tart (which I really liked, and was my normal every day breakfast), there was a table full of suff when I got up to go to grade school.

I wasn't awake yet. There's all this stuff, new to me. Choices, things I'm not used to. So I proceeded to choose the pancakes, and then I also proceeded to pour the milk out of the glass onto the stack of pancakes instead of the syrup, I was not operative yet that early in the morning. My mom laughed at that and she went back to the routine - here, have a Pop-Tart.

All that to set this story up - this morning Unit got up before me, highly unusual. She got up at 4 am and I got up at 5 am as I always do on work days. Run the routine, shower, get dressed, downstairs, clockwork. But downstairs there stood Unit, smiling beside the kitchen counter. She's got me all fixed up. Lunch in a bag already, my water to chase the vitamin down with, a glass full of green stuff (Hawaiian Punch)...

I was completely shut down. I was there staring at the spread, and I don't know what to do. I mean, I don't know what to do next. So...I was just about as confused as anybody could be. It's all done already and now I don't know what to do. Routine broken by all good intentions.

I was baffled. So I cranked Red and started to work, and I actually had to think hard about which side of the road to drive on, my mind is blown, routine broken.

I'm not kidding about routine. One day Unit wanted me to mail a letter on my way to work, I pass right past the Post Office. Got the letter (an extra item that day, on the way to work), and in turn I left my cell phone behind. Realized it abuot a mile away from home - I'm going back to get my cell. I'm not going all day without my cell.

So I did. Went back home and got the cell and I was so proud of my accomplishment (hey, I remembered my cell) that when I drove away the second time I left the garage door standing wide assed open until Unit discovered it later in the morning and let me know about it.

Routine. In my case, don't sway from it. That's when trouble happens.
    Last edited by pdub; February 17, 2012, 04:09 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

Think out of the box, peewee - depart from the norm. There lies adventure and REAL knowledge.
    The dinosaurs couldn't handle change.... therefore, adapt or die.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

Think out of the box, peewee - depart from the norm. There lies adventure and REAL knowledge.
      The dinosaurs couldn't handle change.... therefore, adapt or die.
      Well taken Stude. Is it a strength or a weakness? I think it is an inherent weakness.

But by default, what if you're not even AWAKE yet? We can walk around and be functional but it's still not all there if you're not mentally awake from sleep yet...

Or so is my defense....a poor defense probably.

I guess I'm the only person in the world that suffers from this malady...

Comment

I am a creature of habit as well. If something breaks my routine it irritates me to no end. Not to say I love my daily routine...just that I get used to it and hate to change things up.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Joe it's more clinical for me. I mean routine to the max. Days off, rules are off. Anything goes. But going to work...I'm serious. I get messed up if things change by even a tick. It really is a clock. Step 1, step 2.....any interruption or change and I'm off of the rails if I was a train.
          Last edited by pdub; February 17, 2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I'm with you Joe -
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

It might be a southern thing?

My wife (from Arkansas) has an exact routine each morning, her dog is the same way (bloodhound). I will note (while my wife is away) that her dog is far better about life when things aren't exactly the way she expects them (better? maybe, more funny to watch).
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG, you didn't capitalize "Southern." That's sacreligious Down Here to do that.

But I'll forgive you and everybody else who just can't understand....

Comment

The job I had years ago dictated that I went to work at stupid early hours. If I wasn't on the road by 4:30 I was late. Several times during the 5 years I worked there, I woke up at midnight, showered, got dressed, got in the car, and made it half way to the office before realizing WTF I was doing.

I hated that job, that routine, and everything that went with it.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

It's amazing, if I'm off work, actually I fall apart if Dr. Phil was watching me and reporting it on TV and comparing me to everybody else.

But if I'm working, by comparison at least, it's regimented. I know what I have to do and at what time.

Yes, work holds me together, even if internally I'd rather not be working. I much more enjoy not working, but that doesn't put food on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      SBG, you didn't capitalize "Southern." That's sacreligious Down Here to do that.

But I'll forgive you and everybody else who just can't understand....
                      I love it...also understand
                      Don
                      "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

I am offended when folks don't capitalize Hillbilly so I know were youre coming from peewee...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Creatures of habit unite!! I like to think of myself as somewhat obsessive compulsive, not whacko like those people on TV, but I like my routine.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Well taken Stude. Is it a strength or a weakness? I think it is an inherent weakness.

But by default, what if you're not even AWAKE yet? We can walk around and be functional but it's still not all there if you're not mentally awake from sleep yet...

Or so is my defense....a poor defense probably.

I guess I'm the only person in the world that suffers from this malady...
                            Think in musical terms, peewee - do you play the notes on the page EXACTLY as they are written, or do you improvise?

I prefer to improvise my day. Consistency does have its place - no doubt, but it sounds like you use it as a crutch. Maybe I'm wrong.
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                              Think in musical terms, peewee - do you play the notes on the page EXACTLY as they are written, or do you improvise?

I prefer to improvise my day. Consistency does have its place - no doubt, but it sounds like you use it as a crutch. Maybe I'm wrong.
                              No, I DO hear ya Stude. I guess I'm a walking contradiction. Music? There are some songs, like ones I made up, that I mechanically have to play the same way every time. But when I was playing out, I'd never play somebody else's songs the same way twice...well, not even the same way once.

When I'm working, a different person. Maybe not the figure of authority, but a whole different demeanor. Maybe because the folks around me are all so serious. So I get with them. I guess all that to say....where am I going with this?

But when I'm off of work (like now, up in the middle of the night) there ere are no rules. I guess I like it both ways.

Watch me disappear from BangShift next week, when I'm on call. My week on call at work. Same thing as always is, come home from work but when I'm home I'm not exactly "home" because at any time I may be called back to work. Therefore I'm "at work" 24 hours a day for a whole week. A whole different deal. I can't quite explain it to my satisfaction, don't feel like I can, anyhow. It's just weird, the relationship between work and "life."

Yes, I am a walking contradiction. In just about every way. I'm Dr. Phil material, but not animated enough to be on his show. And not pretty enough, either!

Comment

Working...
                              X