Another Daily Driver thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Daily Driver thread ....

As most know, my search for a new DD has been an ongoing ordeal. I'm worse than my daughter when she goes shoe shopping!

After looking at literally 100's of cars n smaller suv's, I just can't find anything that I can absolutely say yes to. The other day Momma and I were doing the usual craigslist crawl and she suggested I just get another truck. As she said "a big diesel like you had".

So, after calling and weeding thru the scams and junk, I came up with this as my 1st pick:

Guy seems real. I'm going to look at it Monday, so throw some thoughts at me. For those that don't remember, I did have a 94 F250 w/ 376K when I got rid of it, so I have a little bit of experience with these trucks.

Give me your thoughts/opinions/ideas so I see the big picture and don't forget stuff to check out.

I know Spidey .... it's a stinky diesel .....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Looks like a nicer big brother to my new DD, a '92 300 inch four wheeler.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

my '97 with about 230k on it has done two things to me:

a) vacuum pump
      b) HPOP leak

Instead of going 12.00 for o-rings, yeah, I went medium oil, and still haven't made the time to install it. Even with it dripping out the valley, it pulled over 18 with 5-6k worth of trailer / car behind it and is over 20mpg unloaded at 75mph for most of it. You'll be a bit less with 4wd probably. Mine is 3.55 geared, I'd expect it to go down unloaded with 4.10's. It could have cared less about the 16' trailer and 4k worth of car behind it.

Every F truck in existence could probably use front end work. I bought a Redhead steering box for the Lightning recently, and... can't tell you about it either because I haven't made time to install it (raining on weekends, on call, blah blah excuse here). They are supposed to take the infamous road wandering out of them. The 97 is no exception, but it has been set up at some point to pull to the right instead of wandering all over the lane. Makes it a little easier to deal with. I'm hoping to have good results from the new box in the Lightning and if so I'll buy one for the F250.

I don't think that one is long enough, you need a crew cab. Grin.

John has a laundry list of crap for them, half of which I think mine already had done. Straight pipe is surprisingly not all that loud, get the trash can sized air filter, down pipe, tune, different housing for the turbo to make it spool quicker, ad infinitum. I'm pretty happy with the way mine is pretty much stock. My only real wish is that I'd found a manual trans, I fear the cost of the converter. John says is makes a huge difference. I'll let him speak to that.

Every site on the web says buy a Cam Position Sensor and toss it in the glove compartment for when it goes bad.
      Last edited by Beagle; February 18, 2012, 07:55 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

nice looking truck
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looking over my notes from talking to him on the phone.

He is 2nd owner, 1st is his bro in law that lives in AZ. That is where the truck was bought at a dealer ship w/approx 50k on it, and lived until last year. He has papers/receipts for trans that was redone @ 188k and all brakes @ 208k. His reason for selling is that he found and bought his dream truck after buying this one, and just wants to get his money back out of it. He is even offering to let me take the truck for a day or so to have it checked out as long as I leave my vehicle at his house as collateral.....sorry Stewie, I'm taking your Saturn .... LOL

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger on this one. He had it detailed out, so the interior is spotless. Not a lot of wear on the insides for the mileage. It does have a tear in the sheetmetal around one of the bed stake pockets, but everything else is as he described it.

Ball joints/tie-rod ends/steering link plus shocks were all done@166k.

It drives nice both on dirt and paved roads .... but yes, the steering box is sloppy. More to come .....

Comment

Your purchase explains what I found on the craigslist link:

"This posting has been deleted by its author."

Nice work - we'll have a diesel subforum on here yet! ;-)

Yea - if it's a PSD - keep a 10mm wrench and a CPS in the glove box, and soak that bolt with penetrant now just to make sure.

My '97 was done up more than my '01 will be - this one is going to stay pretty much stock save for exhaust.

I have installed the Ford AIS kit on the intake side and I'm happy with it - if it's good enough for the middle east army trucks - it's plenty good for me - no more drone at highway speed either, and air filters are over the counter (instead of the baldwin PA2818 or equivalent which were truck service or napa order type of items).

I have the tools for injector cups if it comes to that, rosewood is your man for rebuilding injectors yourself, or orings, and there's an oring site now dedicated to keeping these things sealed up (I used to buy orings from a local supplier and sell kits for the fuel pressure regulator on eBay)
              Last edited by milner351; February 21, 2012, 08:22 AM.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Congrats
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sounds like a solid truck and definately has the Colorado vibe. Now lets hope diesel doesn't get to $5.00 this summer.

Comment

Well this may be a dead deal ..... when I looked at the truck, the seller (notice I didn't say owner) had a supposed clean AZ title for the truck. I saw it and snapped a pic with the kids iphone. In CO, private party car sales require a VIN inspection by L/E prior to the issuance of a CO title on all out of state vehicles. I just happen to know a few guys that can do the inspection, so I take the copy of the AZ title and start getting the paperwork in order prior to the actual purchase. As my friend is doing the required checks and clearances on the truck's VIN it comes up that the truck is currently registered and titled in CO, to someone other than the person the seller claims owns it, as well as the person named on the AZ title. Hmmmm ...... when I called him, he played stupid and gave me a time limit of 5 pm yesterday to make the deal happen as he had another buyer w/cash in hand for $300 more than the deal we had come to (yea, whatever).

The search continues .....

Comment

Damned - I hate jackwagons that waste time. You'll find something with less headache factor soon I hope.

Or - just put a 4bt cummins in anything!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X