Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hound hunters around????

This is the business end

she's in training to be Search and Rescue, wife is in training to the flag at the end of the 30' leash.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

does toby count since hes a beagle ?

Last edited by BOOOGHAR; February 21, 2012, 06:51 PM.
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

i have a female basset.. the only thing hunts is the food bowl..she aint very smart ..but she sure is purty..

Comment

I watched a show recently about animals and how keen their senses are. They featured a bloodhoud that tracked a scent from the sceen of a "shooting" down the street, thru down down traffic, onto the freeway for about 15 miles then thru streets to the beach...the dog tracked the guy down the beach for a mile or so and finaly found him sitting near a park. It was a training exercise by LAPD, was simply amazing to watch....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

the longest trail for a bloodhound is 120 miles, and the trail was 3 weeks old.
            A girl was abducted from an apartment complex in Australia, the brought a bloodhound in that found where the girl was picked up on the street (this is amazing to me) and taken to a place in the wilderness. The bloodhound was put in a truck and would bay while on the trail, if an exit was missed (or turn) he'd stop baying. This went on for 8 hours. Bloodhounds generally don't eat, drink, or answer natures call while on the trail. Unfortunately, the girl was dead when they found her - but the trail remains the longest ever and oldest ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
              I watched a show recently about animals and how keen their senses are. They featured a bloodhoud that tracked a scent from the sceen of a "shooting" down the street, thru down down traffic, onto the freeway for about 15 miles then thru streets to the beach...the dog tracked the guy down the beach for a mile or so and finaly found him sitting near a park. It was a training exercise by LAPD, was simply amazing to watch....
              My Weimaraner is capable of similar crazy feats of scent. We live on 5 wooded acres, he loves a challenge - I can take a glove or a sock and hide it *anywhere* - on a shelf in my barn 300 yards away, or down the road across a creek a half mile away, while he's locked in the house. He'll retrieve it in seconds, and will do this for hours on end, nonstop, until you go crazy. I'm pretty sure he is following the scent of whoever is hiding the item, because if you walk to the hiding spot taking an indirect path (as many curves and loops as you can make) he follows the exact path you took.

We got him from a breeder who raises Weimaraners to find Cadavers (dead bodies) for the Nebraska State Patrol.
              Last edited by dieselgeek; February 22, 2012, 07:37 AM.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Dogs that follow scents come in two groups. Air scenters, generally high energy dogs that seek human scent (all off-leash). When they arrive at the human, they run back to their handler, then to the subject, then to the handler, then the subject yapping all the way (keep in mind this can be over miles). They are really useful when the start point of the trail isn't known.

Trailers follow a scent after being shown a scent of a person. Bloodhounds are the best at this, German Shepherds are used for this; but they aren't the best. For police work, they are best because they are an aggressive dog - and that trait is needed in their line of work.

Scent moves like water - when a dog is following a scent, on a fresh scent (and on a calm day) the scent tends to linger in a space. That said, most dogs don't differentiate between today's scent or even scent that was laid a few days before - and that's where you can tell the difference between an air scenter and a tracker - an air trailer will find by elimination and sheer speed but most importantly it's nose in the air. Trackers are more methodical and sound like a hoover vacuum.

I just learned this last bit on Sunday, when a body is dead, it puts off a different smell, and they stop putting out the smell that trackers or air trailers follow - so a tracking dog could stand on the top of a body and not realize that was the object of their search - that just happened to the leader of the bloodhound search group here. A girl went into the woods, high on drugs, pulled sticks and stuff over the top of herself and died. The bloodhound led her handler to the exact spot, but then lost the trail. Apparently the handler was standing on top of the body (freaky, huh?).

Cadaver dogs are air scenters (they're both useful, one isn't better than another). Unless it's a German Shepherd, then they're useless (joke).
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  Dogs that follow scents come in two groups. Air scenters, generally high energy dogs that seek human scent (all off-leash). When they arrive at the human, they run back to their handler, then to the subject, then to the handler, then the subject yapping all the way (keep in mind this can be over miles). They are really useful when the start point of the trail isn't known.
                  that sounds exactly how my dog works. he's high energy, off-leash, although I've never actually had him find a dead human corpse - he's mostly good with gloves, socks, boots, or other dogs. So he's probably not finding the hidden item by its scent rather following the trail of the person that hid it? seems that way from observation anyways. I'm used to bird hunting dogs, and he's very good at that too, but this is my first dog who can "find hidden stuff" so well...
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have a bloodhound, rhodesian ridgeback, and a yellow lab. bloodhound tracks, RR air scents, lab crashes through the brush raising the dead...

With your experience in air flow, I bet you'd have a great deal of fun with air scenting work. To me, it's interesting to hear someone describe what a dog is doing (as they're doing it), how scent pools and flows. I'm still a rank beginner with scenting, but it's still a great deal of fun. With your experience, it would really help that you understand the how/why of air flow, because that experience would allow you more quickly recognize when your dog is off scent.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller View Post
                      Is that a coyote they chased off the ice into he open water ?
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

We're in the process of adopting a bloodhound male puppy that was one of 4 surrendered to our local pound. He's a big ole brute....he's black and tan...our old Buster was red...we sorely miss him.....hopefully NITRO will fill the empty hole.

Lower left corner........
                        Last edited by Chassisman; February 22, 2012, 05:22 PM.
                        The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                          We're in the process of adopting a bloodhound male puppy that was one of 4 surrendered to our local pound. He's a big ole brute....he's black and tan...our old Buster was red...we sorely miss him.....hopefully NITRO will fill the empty hole.

Lower left corner........
                          they sure are cute puppies... I still laugh at the memory of Stella tripping over her ears

here you can see that she's got two dogs down on the ropes (one down, the other backing away)

Comment

I'd like to start training my retriever on how to sniff things out but have no idea where to start...would probably be best to stick with retrieving...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

start with basic obedience classes. fundamental to learning to sniff is to learn to come back and tell you that a sniff was achieved.

the reason Bloodhounds aren't good at airscenting is they get fully wrapped up in sniffing and forget to come back, and despite their docile look they are a fast dog.

that said, once you do get the basic obedience/good K9 classes done, joining SAR is the best way to teach them to sniff - then you have pros helping you learn and you're doing a good thing... plus, it's a hoot, even on the bad days.

Comment

Working...
                              X