No announcement yet.

Any hound hunters around????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't hunt hounds. I say "Live and let live". Oh, that's not what he meant - never mind......

I think Kingsford's nose has been disconnected. As dogs go, he's NOT very scent oriented. Standard Poodles are, of course, water retrievers and we don't want to do the clean-up so we don't encourage swimming. I'll bet he'd love it once he got used to the idea. So I'm thinking retrievers should be better at retrieving - but this one won't release the lure (usually a tennis ball) after he brings it back to the human. I need about 2 hours with Cesar.

Dan

Comment

I enjoy training the dog, he is still a pup but he has mastered wait which is amazing considering the energy level of this dog. He pissed me off one day when I was bringing his food out. He jumped up and smacked the bowl out of my hand spilling food everywhere. He tried to start eating it off the floor but I stopped him and made him sit. and every time he tried to move I told him to wait and held my finger up. After about 15 minutes of this he had it down, now when I bring his food out he sits, and waits...he doesnt move unitl I tell him "go ahead" and he will then eat. I can get him to do it on command too without food. Tell him to sit-wait and then I wil lwalk out of the room and he will nto move until I call him...super smart dog. I love it. I thought about SAR but I dont have a truck anymore. maybe someone will trade the plymouth for a Blazer or Bronco...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
        We're in the process of adopting a bloodhound male puppy that was one of 4 surrendered to our local pound. He's a big ole brute....he's black and tan...our old Buster was red...we sorely miss him.....hopefully NITRO will fill the empty hole.

Lower left corner........
        They are all cute but Nitro is the best.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          start with basic obedience classes. fundamental to learning to sniff is to learn to come back and tell you that a sniff was achieved.

the reason Bloodhounds aren't good at airscenting is they get fully wrapped up in sniffing and forget to come back, and despite their docile look they are a fast dog.

that said, once you do get the basic obedience/good K9 classes done, joining SAR is the best way to teach them to sniff - then you have pros helping you learn and you're doing a good thing... plus, it's a hoot, even on the bad days.

If you think Bloodhounds are fast you should see some of the hounds around here.......

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller View Post
            If you think Bloodhounds are fast you should see some of the hounds around here.......
            I'm sure - however, I should have said "while bloodhounds appear slow and docile, they are far faster than I can run and have amazing stamina." I joke with my wife that if Stella gets off the leash she best run towards her car (regardless of the dog's direction) so that she can chase her down (Stella wears a GPS collar)... and she best be quick because the max range is 9 miles.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              I'm sure - however, I should have said "while bloodhounds appear slow and docile, they are far faster than I can run and have amazing stamina." I joke with my wife that if Stella gets off the leash she best run towards her car (regardless of the dog's direction) so that she can chase her down (Stella wears a GPS collar)... and she best be quick because the max range is 9 miles.

What kind of gps collars do you use, we are using the Garmin Astro, and dont have anywhere near a 9 mile range.......

Comment

I love this thread! i have no dogs, been almost 10 years , but I still miss my lab. I used to walk a Bloodhound when I was in High School. I had to run every night to pull weight while wrestling so he went with and when he would get on a scent I was just along for the ride!
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

My Brother is a K-9 officer and a certified master trainer. he has a Czech Shepard , ( looks german to me ) , a belgian malinios ( psycho dog in training) and a jack russell.

He said that the nose on a lab is very good too, says the make great bomb /cadaver dogs.
                  Last edited by ls7gto; February 24, 2012, 12:39 PM.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                  X