Tornadoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornadoes

As I'm sure all of you have heard, we had tornadoes in the Tidewater area. We had one go right over the top of my ship. Damaged 60 cars in the parking lot and uprooted some trees. Didn't do near as much damage as it did out in Suffolk, but it sure scared the hell out of me. Here's a couple of pics...

It started out as a water spout. Not as well formed as some of the tornadoes you've seen, but was still able to toss pallets like pieces of paper.

Here it is right over top of the ship. Nothing like feeling the air getting sucked right out of the room I was in at the time...

Once it was done with us, it took off through the parking lot, right over top a maintenance building, and uprooted the trees near the fence. I heard it picked a car up (with the occupant in it) and turned it 180 degrees, but didn't see it firsthand.

Re: Tornadoes

Holy stnkin' crap man..... :o

Still glad I chose this as my home base....cold winters or not.

Comment

Holy S***!

Glad you're alright.

Comment

yea we had some nasty ones up this way south of richmond , gonna be some late model cars for sale as salvage here soon ..lol ,i'm looking for a ls1 for the caprice.

Comment

Glad yer OH---Tay'HBS' 8) . ~OO6.

Comment

Wow! I was crossing the HRBT (leaving the peninsula) right about then but didn't see that! It was pretty crazy out there on the bridge. I couldn't see your last picture for some reason.
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Scary feeling, isn't it? I've been through a couple and lost everything May 3, 1999 when the biggest tornado ever came through here. I saw a telephone pole drove through a cars engine compartment, with the engine missing, the pole was still in the ground standing. I found my car (not current one), the next day, with another upside down on top of it. It still ran when I finally got it dug out.

Comment

I left Amarillo TX a year ago and Tornadoes were in the rearview mirror. Water spouts are usually a bit more dangerous because they are so dense. Glad you are OKAY.

Comment

Nice pics. Growing up in Nebraska I've seen my share. Only got close to them twice. Enough for me.

It's a bizarre feeling. Part of you is mesmerized and wants to get closer to it. Part of you is screaming at you to get as far away as possible.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I was stunned to hear no one died.... we lost 9 folks last year ... 8 of them students in the HS at the end of our block...

our town is just now getting back...

K

Comment

I am still trying to find out about some of my friends out in Suffolk. Before moving here to be with Keith, I lived in Va. Beach for 30 years. I only saw water spouts once in all those years. They were three small ones over the bay by the first island. I couldn't image driving the bridge across to/from the HRBT and be dealing with the winds that had to be associated with the storm. Glad to hear everyone is okay there.

Comment

Glad you are OK. We had a bad one here in November 2005. Missed my house by @ 300yds, tore off some shingles and broke a couple of windows though. Scariest thing I have ever been a part of.
                        Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Tornados really intrigue me I've seen three or four ranging from 5 to 10 miles away. Awesome pics ,glad your're o.k.

Comment

91CC I think you need to show us some Pictures of a Hot Rod.... don't ya think?

Keith

Comment

Need to snap some....hopefully this weekend...spending to much time driving it
                              Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Working...
                              X