X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to consider once you decide on the type of TV

Minimum size= Viewing distance/3
    Maximum size=Viewing distance/1.5

these formulas help you decide what size tv is right - ever sit in a theater right at the screen? It's a bit tough to catch all the action because the screen can be so overwhelming. TVs have gotten to the size that this problem happens in houses too... Also, the other consideration is how the lighting is in the space. A dark space - projection works really nice, in my basement I have 72" screen and projector for my Xbox, works excellent however, if there was too much light, it'd be impossible to see. The nice part about projectors is they aren't that terribly expensive for the size of screen you can have.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

"As for DLP's, I don't know a person who has owned one that didn't have trouble with it after two or three years. Needing either light bulbs, or some kind of motor, or a whole motherboard. I probably would only take one free if I wanted to put it in the garage. They're bulky compared to the competition and I don't think they can hang on walls."

i just put a new bulb in my 61" JVC dlp, and i wont do it again.... just didnt have the extra jack for a new TV..... the new tv fund has been started though
      Last edited by 1badmonkey; February 23, 2012, 02:47 PM.
      Charles

Comment

LCD by Samsung

if you HAVE to get a different brand, get a Sharp (cause the picture really is sharp... just not as sharp as samsung)

There are some people who love plasmas, but i do not. LCD for me please.

Oh... and get a blue ray player and watch Planet Earth on your new LCD. your mind will be blown

Comment

I always buy an exclusive, premium brand called "WOSAC" ("Whatever's On Sale At Costco"). That brand has always been more than good for what we like. We have 2 27" Samsung LCDs for the bedrooms and a bigger Sharp for the living room.

I calculate the size like this: Watch the current TV with text displayed (maybe the fine print on an ad). Can you read it? If so, get a TV with at least that much screen height - remember, wide screen TVs only make the pic wider, not higher. If you can't read the type, decide if it's a little too small or a lot too small and then buy a screen that's a little taller or a lot taller. You might take the Sony down to the Doug Room and see how it looks so you have a starting point (yeah, I know it's heavy but you need a baseline).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            We're spending your money, right? get a big LED backlit LCD tv. As big as will fit.
            Four player games, go big! Each has their own 32.5" screen
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

OK, now here another question, what service provider. I have had Direct TV for 17 yrs now maybe more. Got it for a Bowe vs Holyfeld fight and they had drag racing live...Then. and the speed channel wasnt all NASCAR! Hell it wasnt even called speed ! Ok im dont ranting..
              My question is what do you like...direct tv, dish network, comcast, or verizon ?
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

netflix and whatever comes over the airwaves for free....
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have an HD Dish receiver. I watch too much tv as is so I don't have netflix. If you have DirectTV now is the time to start pricing the competition as well as Direct on the HD receivers. Once you start watching the HD stuff you are practically ruined for the standard quality stuff.
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 25, 2012, 10:19 AM.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a Samsung 61" 1080p HD LED Projection TV, the LED bulb is suppose to last 60,000 hours compared to a regular projection bulb that may last 4-6,000 hours......It is a projection TV so it's meant to sit on a TV stand and you can't hang it on the wall.......

So here's my opinion, go LED whether projection or LCD, it maybe a little more expensive, but trust me it's worth it in the long run, with that size of a room don't go with anything smaller than a 60" TV, you'll wish you had if you don't........Get yourself a nice 7.1 surround sound system, it'll make the viewing that much more enjoyable......

Now here's the catch, HD isn't free unless your pulling your Local channels from the air and regular non-HD channels will look like crap on a HD TV.......Which brings up Direct TV, which is the way I get my HD channels......You will pay a Fee for the HD service, you will also need a HD receiver(s) for every TV you have and if you want the DVR you'll pay a Fee for that service to........My plan basically has all the channels except for the Pay Channels(HBO,Showtime, etc....) and I pay about $120 a month for 3 TV's........

Now comes money, what I do is wait for BestBuy to have a 24 month no interest deal and then buy a TV that is around $2000 that way I can just pay $100 a month for a couple of years and it's still like paying cash, since as long as your paying it off before the 24 month runs out they can't charge you the interest on it........I remember when I first got the card, I walked into BestBuy with no money at all, told the guy I wanted(at the time) this Sony 61" TV, it was $2200.....I told him I didn't want to pay a cent for it and asked how their financing worked, he sent me over to the customer service counter, I filled out a short application and the girl asked me what I wanted to buy and how much was it, I told her it was a TV and it cost $2200, she went back into her office and 5 minutes later walked out and said I was approved for $2500, so I took the paper work back over to the TV department and the guy wrote it up and I walked out of there with a 61" TV and didn't pay a dime for it........Then it was just $100 a month payment and no interest.......Basically same as cash......and I get to build my credit on top of it.........
                    Last edited by TC; February 25, 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

As far as a provider - we have Time Warner Cable in these parts. We get it with Roadrunner service as our computer link and all seems fine. I don't recall the $$ but I think it's about $100/mo. including 2 DVRs/tuners. I have no clue how to record with 'em - guess I should learn. Some of the folks who have the Dish say that the reception tends to go out in bad weather (and we can get REALLY bad weather) and that's exactly when you need it most. We have lost service a couple of times but it wasn't weather related.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X