Putting a vehicle on the market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a vehicle on the market

So I'm getting ready to potentially sell my '99 Silverado 1500 and while I've been slowly replacing things along the way of owning it, at 186K miles it's starting to accumulate little problems. It's a regular cab longbed so the dealer I took it to for a ballpark trade in already doesn't really want to touch it real bad since it's a regular cab.

It's had the mystery disappearing coolant for awhile now but after my most recent fill it's been pissing on the driveway pretty bad. I'm 95% sure its the water pump gaskets but again at 186K miles, should I just replace the pump even though I'm selling it?

Same deal with the ABS, intermittent fault on the drivers front sensor, I've tried cleaning the connectors and it doesn't look caked with debris. Replace?

To get out of the specifics, how about turning the question around. What would you be looking for to work on a high mileage truck like mine?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

give ya 2500 for it lol

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      give ya 2500 for it lol
      Honestly, I'd be tempted to take that if I didn't do a thing to it before you handed the cash over! I'd even throw in the stockpiled parts!
      Dealer offered me $2000 if I fixed the CATS (have them) and the tailgate trim (can't find the stupid plastic screws and don't want to pay $70 for a new one or have holes in the tailgate)
      Last edited by CTX-SLPR; February 27, 2012, 08:47 PM.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

they age very well

Comment

I have the Dakota for sale at a local consignment lot. My conscience wouldn't let me sell it with a major issue but I think folks expect little things on a used vehicle. The Dak failed the heater core just as I was getting ready to sell it and I had that done (I no longer can work with my head lower than my chest so this was a job to farm out). I also had it detailed, which made a HUGE difference in its appearance. The guy at the consignment lot looked it over and listed it for near the top of the retail value because it's RIGHT. It does have a dink in the tailgate but he didn't think it would affect value much so I left that - as I said, people expect SOME imperfections.

The closer to right it is, the more you'll get for it. Now all I need is a buyer for mine!

Dan

Comment

don't replace the water pump, just replace the gaskets....although if you get it out and find it's leaking out the seal, then that might be a different story. At least it's a quick job, not like the older trucks.

Just make sure you sell it AS-IS....
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Since I've been looking at a lot of used trucks lately, here's my .02 ....

The majority of buyers expect any used vehicle to be flawless. They all seem to forget that they are looking at a vehicle that is xx years old and has xxxxxxx miles on it. They seem to pick it apart in an attempt to get a lower price. The flip side is that sellers hang their hat on the vehicle being xx years old and xxxxxx miles on it and proclaim "hey, it's a used car for crying out loud".

Personally, I pass on any computer/electrical systems malfunctions. Major fluid leaks are a no go as well. Interiors that are trashed (not what I would consider normal wear/tear) are a huge turn off as well. When I sell something, I try to be as honest as possible, in a few cases, too honest and a potential buyer has passed.

I can't remember if your truck is a reg cab or ext cab Will?....
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                I can't remember if your truck is a reg cab or ext cab Will?....
                Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                It's a regular cab longbed so the dealer I took it to for a ballpark trade in already doesn't really want to touch it real bad since it's a regular cab.
                Pulled up the autotrader listings for 100mi radius around C-Springs and only found a single 4WD regular cab.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I been lookin for a truck like that, but the $$$ wont be there for a while yet. Dont need it right this second anyway, but it would do perfectly for me.

Comment

trade it
                    formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                    http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Working...
                    X