Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road trip in the 57 one ton...robots too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip in the 57 one ton...robots too!

I'm in San Diego now with the high school robot team. I drove my 57 chevy one ton here, with the robot, tool box, batteries, spare parts etc filling up the bed. I got to stare at the back of a school bus all day...fun! The robot stuff starts tomorrow with practice, robot inspection, etc. Then Saturday and Sunday we play qualifying matches, and Sunday afternoon it's the eliminations. Hopefully we'll be in the show then, and do ok. My signature has a link to my web page, my web page has a link to the webcast...
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Cool! Did you run with the LC-1 the whole way? Pictures of the truck at a "typical" sunny So. Cal. beach?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Have a good trip Jim - even though it's at the back of the bus.
      Good luck to the team -
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Thanks! This is a view from the truck. I didn't get any pictures of it from the outside today.
        Attached Files
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Best of luck to the team!

How does the truck feel?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm cheering for your team. Good Luck!

How long until the kids build a robot that can change the oil, etc. in your truck?

Comment

Great that you can volunteer so much time for those kids, I'm sure they're better for it.

70mph, ~2500rpm with a BBC - I'm glad I'm not paying your Fuel bill!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good luck with the robots, Jim! Looks like the '57 is doing just fine.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Cool! I was the head coach of a BEST robotics team for 3 years before I changed jobs. It's pretty fun and rewarding.
                  Powertour off/on since 2002
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

The truck is doing ok, it is burning gas pretty welll...I didn't get to check the mileage on the first fill up, because the pump shut off at $100 and it wasn't quite full. It went 320 miles on 26.xx or so gallons...which is kinda lousy, but par for the course.

Since I just got done messing with the transmission, it has a few little issues still, like the transmission still doesn't work too well. It popped out of 3rd a few times, and there's a neat tinny rattle that is probably just the dust cover under the bellhousing, not being in quite the right place. I'll probably take it off for now.

But that 454 sure pulls hills better than a school bus.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Safe travels Jim ... road trips in an old truck/car is the best!
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I saw quite a few other old cars on the road near Yuma, I think there's a show there this weekend.

But I hardly ever see any old cars/trucks when I'm on a trip...
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          But that 454 sure pulls hills better than a school bus.
                          Big Block for the WIN!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Having only about 5500 GVW for the win
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Let me echo "Best luck to the team"! Not that they'll need it - skill generally wins out. And a great road trip.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X