Trying to Reason With Tornado Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksj2 View Post
    Guess Im used to tornado season having lived in Kansas all my life.The tornado that hit Harveyville Kansas this week is just 3 miles from where my in laws live.They had very little rain and some wind but had no idea what was happening 3 miles away until my wife called them.Usually the last of Feb and first part of March are for surprise snow storms not tornadoes.Could be a LONG season.
    x2 on the long season after joplin last year, and all the damage in pittsburg ks last week Im not digging the whole storm weather stuff
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke! View Post
      Tornadoes are just a sad reality of life, nothing you can do to prevent or stop them.

My wife lost one of her aunts, and we believe now that it also took a cousin(lived with her mother, the afore-mentioned aunt) from the tornado that ripped through East Bernstadt, Ky. last night.....ripped the house apart, nary a wall left standing. Wacky weather patterns this year for sure....Spring is coming early, heads up folks.
      Our condolences Smoke....sorry to hear this.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
        I think I know what you mean Scott. I was right there in that mindset, all those years ago....I was back to living with my parents during a divorce and I told my dad that if I had any time off from work left, I'd like to go down to the coast and see the hurricane (Hugo) come ashore. I'd just like to see one.

About 3 a.m. that same night, I didn't have to go anywhere to be in it. Hugo brought it right to us. Good goshalmighty...no, I don't want anymore of that. That made me be scared from now on every time it gets cloudy. Burned into the conscience.

I was yakking with a contractor at work yesterday, the looming bad weather was the topic on everybody's mind. He said his dad had that "I wanna see it" mindset last April when the killer twisters came through our county. He just hadn't seen it. Dude said his dad would go out onto the porch hollering at the sky during a thunderstorm, "You call this a storm? I wanna see a STORM!" Like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump.

So last April the tornado missed his dad's house by a little bit, but it uprooted trees on somebody else's property and slung them into his house and took out three bedrooms. The tornado was hopping and skipping - did all of that and left the ground and then set back down again over a hill and killed three of his dad's best friends in a house about a quarter mile away.

Dude asked his dad after that, "So you still want to see a storm?" The dad said no. No, not ever again.

That's where my brain is. I hate it. I'm more likely to die of a heart attack during the storm than to be wiped out by it. I realize that much, the odds. But I hate it. It seems to be happening more often these days, too, the storms.
        I've been close to tornadoes twice. Once close enough that it pulled the air out of my lungs.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X