No announcement yet.

Health Care - Canada vs the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never heard of Travel Insurance until talking with some of my friend's from Canada that wanted to visit the States. Apparently, it is a requirement? If folks can't afford it, they don't make the trip. I don't know that we have anything like that in the States.

Comment

I have Customers in Canada that have came to the States and paid out of pocket for operations (Heart & Cancer) rather then to roll the dice and wait for their open slot to come up back home. Here's the scary part folks, we may be looking at the same thing in 2013.
      sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Our secondary insurance (BC/BS) covers us out of the country for emergency care. I don't know if that's typical but I'd guess so. Also not sure if Medicare works across the border. I need to look into that as I'm planning to visit my newly-Canadian daughter (married a Canadian).

Dan

Comment

Do look into it Dan, it is important info.
          Some of my Canadian friends opted to move to the States to get treatment for illnesses that were not covered under their Provinence, care that IS approved here. They are paying out of pocket, to get the care they need.
          It is good to remember that we are always talking apples and oranges when discussing health care with another country.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant View Post
            Members of my family have waited for 6 months or more to get treatment.
            The Canadian geologist from Ontario that come to our mine from time to time have echo'd this. Both systems are flawed. There are a ton of places for the American systems to cut costs, mostly in tort reform, malpractice insurance and proper prescription costs. Being a sue happy society has penalty costs associated with it =/
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
              I have Customers in Canada that have came to the States and paid out of pocket for operations (Heart & Cancer) rather then to roll the dice and wait for their open slot to come up back home. Here's the scary part folks, we may be looking at the same thing in 2013.
              yes , if they want to live ..the canucks have to come here with cash ...they are lucky to live so close

Comment

PW - are you asking what insurance pays for your treatment while you are working in Canada for your current employer? Or are you asking how do you pay for emergency treatment while you're visiting Canada on vacation? Or, are you asking what happens if you're traveling in Canada without either insurance coverage?

I think I confused myself. In the 1st two instances, your insurance company pays - I've yet to see a policy which excludes travel to foreign countries UNLESS that travel is to a foreign country that has a warning, has active combat, are a member of an army, or you are a mercenary, (then you're SOL, but you'll be dead anyway so it's pretty much moot). In the last instance, I don't know about Canada, but most foreign countries require that you buy medical insurance coverage at the border (not terribly expensive) then you are subject to those terms and conditions.

Word to the wise, do pay the extra 2 or so dollars for "transportation to US hospital" and "medical transport" - most people don't remember that if you're injured in a foreign country you may not be able to use your prior transportation (such as flying commercially) and medical transport is breathtakingly expensive (last one I heard was 120,000 - yes 6 numbers).

While Canada is pretty tame, treatment wise (they won't refuse treatment for life threatening conditions) that is NOT true in many countries. Do check with your travel agent, the CIA or with the Secretary of State to see what you're looking forward to.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 4, 2012, 09:17 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant View Post
                  If you net over $57250 CDN in the year you claimed EI you have to start repaying what you received in Insurance benefits. The more you make the more you pay back when you file your income tax.

I agree if an American got hurt/sick they would get the bill. It happened to a CFL football player who got into a car accident after the Calgary Stampeders released him. I can't remember his name.

I do not agree that our Healthcare is cheap. We pay through taxation. We have "sin taxes". There's a reason why beer and smokes cost twice as much in Canada! Gasoline is also heavily taxed (33% Americans pay about 11%). Being that your in British Columbia you also pay 12 percent HST on pretty much every purchase you make. A portion of all this money goes to fund healthcare. Your $120/month subsidizes your healthcare not pays for it, basically another tax.
                  I didn't know that about the EI system, I actually claimed EI for 4 weeks in 2010 and still cleared well over $57 for the year, but got money back on my taxes at the end of the year, not sure how that works (but I'm not an accountant - if I'm getting money back I'm not complaining)

THe HST thing, unfortunately people here have voted to do away with the HST and go back to a PST/GST system that still equals 12% on 98% of things, but in actuality costs a whole lot more...... Facts have a hard time of getting in the conversation with politics, but the government did a piss poor job implementing the HST system, even though it is FAR better for small businesses, farmers, etc. than the old system and really did not cost people any more $$$.

Comment

Working...
                  X