Rear Engine Subaru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Engine Subaru?

Went and bought a 1972 350-2 Buick motor, th350 Trans and the Driveshaft the other day. Paid a guy to haul it home and he didn't show up. A tad over 61,000 miles on it and he tosses in complete seat belt set with bolts.

Now I have to figure out how to get it out of the Subaru.
    Attached Files
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Sawsall roof, lift engine in conventional manner, what's the problem

Are you going to measure how much higher the subi sits after the engine and trans are removed?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      Sawsall roof, lift engine in conventional manner, what's the problem

Are you going to measure how much higher the subi sits after the engine and trans are removed?
      It isn't squating as near as much as I thought it would. Bought an engine stand yesterday. Was thinking I would place it, block it then back up on ramps til I had the right height, hook it up and maybe try a come along to just yank it out!

Comment

give that haul a few months, the delay in japanese upside down land shows up later.

caved in trunk floor two popped struts and those pathetic straws of hollow steel called suspension arms getting what they want.

I got an old one to finally act "realtime":

Click image for larger version

Name:	sube_engine 022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	860841

lucky to haul its own little motor in the back...36 pounds of mig wire later.

don't even get me started on the "new longer smooth riding wheelbase"

I don't make a good poster child for subaru. Time for a chevy logo on the front of my own anyway.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 4, 2012, 10:21 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

How are you gonna mate it to the trans axle?..... LOL
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
            How are you gonna mate it to the trans axle?..... LOL
            Flex hose and Jesus nut?

Last edited by patrickth; March 4, 2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
              It isn't squating as near as much as I thought it would. Bought an engine stand yesterday. Was thinking I would place it, block it then back up on ramps til I had the right height, hook it up and maybe try a come along to just yank it out!
              Ah, kinda of like the method I used with my first OHC six and getting it off the trailer without wanting to get the hoist out of the basement.

Roughly lined up.

You can't do this because the roof, but I strapped it up to get the tire out from under it, it was providing quite a bit of friction to keep me from pushing it across the trailer, but once I strapped it up I did drive the trailer out from under it while the tire was still holding it to the trailer. Now that you mention it, I should of tied off to something behind it =P

And I just drove the trailer out from under it. My biggest fear was this bastard falling over on it's side, but otherwise I like your line of thought!

Comment

I thought you guys were describing a VW. HAHAHAHAHA. Sorry. Carry on. Here's my rear-engine F150:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000242.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	860842
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I read your thread. You are an inspiration. I have an old mattress I placed down on the ground, just in case I am not as smart as I think I am and screw the pooch.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                    I read your thread. You are an inspiration. I have an old mattress I placed down on the ground, just in case I am not as smart as I think I am and screw the pooch.
                    All I can stress is what ever you do, do not put yourself or any helpers in the position to "catch" the engine if things go awry. Maybe even pep talk any help you may have to steer clear of the engine if gravity starts winning. Can't buy you a new hand, leg or foot if bad things happen, but other engines are available. That's my safety rant Other than that, good luck and hope all goes according to plan!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      All I can stress is what ever you do, do not put yourself or any helpers in the position to "catch" the engine if things go awry. Maybe even pep talk any help you may have to steer clear of the engine if gravity starts winning. Can't buy you a new hand, leg or foot if bad things happen, but other engines are available. That's my safety rant Other than that, good luck and hope all goes according to plan!
                      I have no help and a very steep driveway. I managed to get the tranny, stall convertor and driveshaft out. Put together my engine stand. They were out of the 1 tons, so had to get the 2 ton. Center of mounting is 32" with some adjusting possible. It turns uout that is exactly center of flexplate. I am thinking now, hook it all up and jack up front of car, engine sags till clear of suburau and drive it away. :-). Maybe.
                      Last edited by patrickth; March 4, 2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Sick bastard... I like it! Tie the stand to something so when you drive out from under it , it doesn't try to follow you. If you're serious about that, put a couple of 2x6 in front of the front tires, or even under them. It will lift the front end as you drive out. Ease it out from under it, it may well work. Used unmounted tire on either side just in case it falls over.

I've done this with a couple of uncooperative cars on the trailer recently. Very pissed at them, they came right off of it... literally drove the trailer out from under them. Sometimes working alone and being pissed is dangerous. Slow down and take it easy.
                        Last edited by Beagle; March 4, 2012, 01:58 PM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I agree on the slow and easy method. I've loaded and unloaded a few big block Oldsmobile motors from the back of my Suburban with varying results. So far no broken parts or injuries but make sure you think it through first. If you start tipping an engine stand it could take off without any warning.

Comment

Plan A & B didn't work. Danger was too high that I would rip the locking receiver off or the oil pan. Going to go cuy a cherry picker this morning and go for Plan C.

Comment

From the title I was expecting something else.

My rear engine Astro van. Vans are so much easier to haul stuff in, and there is still room for the kids.
                              Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Working...
                              X