X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thousands of new Mazdas destroyed

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Sure, it's fun to be pro-Domestic .

I'm not pro-domestic because it's fun. I believe in supporting my local economy because my local economy supports me.

No jobs = less disposable income. Less disposable income = less people attending the events I work at. Less people attending events = my livelyhood being put in jeopardy.

Pretty simple formula.

Taken a realistic look at the U.S. economy lately? I'd rather not follow the same path up here if it can be avoided...we are so closely tied to you, I'm not sure it's possible.

But that's not why I made the comment I did - Fact is if I had only offshore vehicles to choose from (a frightening possibility that looms larger everyday) Mazda would still be close to the bottom of my list based on driving them and the experiences of friends & family.

Comment

Well - Ford is pretty close to my list of choices as well.... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
        Define "OffShore" ?

Ford controlled Mazda?

My F150 has less US assembled content than most Hondas or Toyotas. That's jobs on the table that FORD gives to neighboring countries for what was the most popular vehicle in the US when it was built.

Are you just chasing the profit offshore?

In fact of the major big pickups, more of each Toyota truck is produce in the U.S. than GM, Dodge, or Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
          Sure, it's fun to be pro-Domestic .

I'm not pro-domestic because it's fun. I believe in supporting my local economy because my local economy supports me.

No jobs = less disposable income. Less disposable income = less people attending the events I work at. Less people attending events = my livelyhood being put in jeaprody.

Pretty simple formula.

Taken a realistic look at the U.S. economy lately? I'd rather not follow the same path up here if it can be avoided...we are so closely tied to you, I'm not sure it's possible.

But that's not why I made the comment I did - Fact is if I had only offshore vehicles to choose from (a frightening possibility that looms larger everyday) Mazda would still be close to the bottom of my list based on driving them and the experiences of friends & family.

I don't think this makes much sense in a global econonmy. How does buying a domestic brand REALLY improve life for people living on American soil? I don't get the concept about money "going away" or "overseas" - isolationism is all I sense in your explanation, and I mean no offense, but I don't see how we're doing anything other than trying to make an uneven playing field for all parties involved, and I know from history that this only leads to a crappy economy...
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

isolationism is all I sense in your explanation, and I mean no offense, but I don't see how we're doing anything other than trying to make an uneven playing field for all parties involved
            Newsflash, but the field is ALREADY uneven...against us. WAY uneven IMO. Look at the our inport vs. export numbers. They speak for themselves. That, and alot of our core jobs are being shipped overseas.

Comment

Well - believe it or not, I'm not "anti-globalism."

Free trade is fine - as long as it's fair trade.

Fact is, one of the most isolationist nations on the planet is Japan. I'm simply suggesting that if our borders are thrown wide open, so should theirs be. They have had 50 years to make changes to their policies - but they have yet to do it.

Contrary to what many people say, we in North America are an industrious, innovative, creative bunch. And we can complete on the world stage - so long as that stage is level - and the rules apply the same to everyone.

Same deal with China.

I do not believe we should be doing business at all with a communist nation that murders it's own citizens. But that aside, at the very least they should have to measure up to the same environmental and occupational safety standards our industry does. Copyrights and patents need to striclty enforced. I also think that we need to subject their products to regular and frequent inspections make sure they meet the same safety and quality standards our stuff does. (Like lead paint and poisoned petfood/toothpaste.) I also think human rights needs to tied to trade just because it's the right thing to do.

Then - the playing field would be closer to level. Recent history has proven that we can compete with cheap labour...but when all of the cards are stacked against us, that's a different story. In that case, "global economy" is just another way of saying "kiss your livelyhood goodbye."

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
                Originally posted by Beagle
                Define "OffShore" ?

Ford controlled Mazda?

My F150 has less US assembled content than most Hondas or Toyotas. That's jobs on the table that FORD gives to neighboring countries for what was the most popular vehicle in the US when it was built.

Are you just chasing the profit offshore?

In fact of the major big pickups, more of each Toyota truck is produce in the U.S. than GM, Dodge, or Ford!
                just went out on my lot - 1500 sierra has 85% domestic content and a canyon has 77% domestic content . pretty good in this day and age , oh yeah the money you spend on those gm trucks are deposited in us banks , 50% of the price of our old school American vehicles goes towards state , local , federal , social security taxes that the japanese generally avoid , due to sweetheart tax breaks they negotiate with the locals and states . GM pays the 42% federal cororate tax INTO OUR TREASURY . Toyota doesn't pay that , as they are incorprated in TOKYO . Toyota is selling at the same level or better than GM , maybe they should be a better neighbor and match in US taxes what the general pays . The only reason the big 2 outsource is the unreal pressure of foreign govt subsidized imports have a huge advantage on price . thanks for buying an import
                toyota has ten plants in the US - GM has ten plants.. IN OHIO - 54 US plants , maybe if you buy yourself a kia, hyundai , toyotie maybe we can get that number down to 50 ! my GM dealer is closing down due to the fact that the imports are crushiing us . thank you for helping the imports destroy my business

Comment

And blaming Mazda because it's simply and statistically wiser to trash the cars, makes no sense either. Blame the idiot judges that award multi million dollar lawsuits because some dumb$hit lady in CA spills coffee on her lap...
                  geek, do some research on that suit its actually very legit. It gets a bad rap from the liby media because it sounds soo good. MCD's knowingly served coffee for many years hotter than a safe temperature, I believe somewhere around 180* when everyone else served it around a safer 150*something. The differenece in a burn is radical between these two temps. MCD's settled out many many burn injuries for a long time, and still did not lower the temp on their coffee warmer. Finally someone had enough money to sue MCD's and hold them responsible for unsafe practices, after many people suffer debilitaing burns. I think the coffee may have been spilled on her at the drive through window as well, I can't quite remember. It was in a Business law class 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Junk
                    And blaming Mazda because it's simply and statistically wiser to trash the cars, makes no sense either. Blame the idiot judges that award multi million dollar lawsuits because some dumb$hit lady in CA spills coffee on her lap...
                    geek, do some research on that suit its actually very legit. It gets a bad rap from the liby media because it sounds soo good. MCD's knowingly served coffee for many years hotter than a safe temperature, I believe somewhere around 180* when everyone else served it around a safer 150*something. The differenece in a burn is radical between these two temps. MCD's settled out many many burn injuries for a long time, and still did not lower the temp on their coffee warmer. Finally someone had enough money to sue MCD's and hold them responsible for unsafe practices, after many people suffer debilitaing burns. I think the coffee may have been spilled on her at the drive through window as well, I can't quite remember. It was in a Business law class 2 years ago.
                    The fact that the damages were awarded is still pathetic.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

We're getting away from the original topic just a little here. (Steer right! Steer right!) ;D

What if the ship had been filled with brand-new Corvettes? Or Vipers? Or Mustangs? Heck, what if it was full of Chevy pickups? When the shoe is on the other foot...

Here's a pic I just snapped of my garage...

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

That would mean one of our American car companies would have made a small profit this year because the insurance check came.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                          We're getting away from the original topic just a little here. (Steer right! Steer right!) ;D

What if the ship had been filled with brand-new Corvettes? Or Vipers? Or Mustangs? Heck, what if it was full of Chevy pickups? When the shoe is on the other foot...

Then it would be a horrible tragedy that shall live in infamy to be remembered for all time....... ;D

I don't think we are getting off topic....we were discussing the reasons for torpedoing boats full of Mazdas... :D

Comment

when I worked in westchester , the anchor motor freight trucks used to use rt 9 coming to my dealer , in briarcliff manor , there was a huge oak tree that hung over the road , if the driver had a G van on the front of the truck and he was driving in the right lane , the roof got caved in , happened a few times a month
                            GM would never fix those - right to the crusher
                            insurance write off , they pay guys to make sure they get crushed , not salvaged

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                              isolationism is all I sense in your explanation, and I mean no offense, but I don't see how we're doing anything other than trying to make an uneven playing field for all parties involved
                              Newsflash, but the field is ALREADY uneven...against us. WAY uneven IMO. Look at the our inport vs. export numbers. They speak for themselves. That, and alot of our core jobs are being shipped overseas.
                              And why is it unfair again? Is it because "they" (whoever that is) are out to destroy America? Sorry. The reason is because of the unfairly high wages (as compared to the rest of the world) we demand of our employers. We have done it to ourselves; we are not the victims of some other nation's vendetta. Look at it from the eyes of a citizen of a financially poor, politically opressed nation; you would want a piece of the pie, too. In fact, we have most of the pie, and are screaming like a bunch of brats because a few small pieces are being taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                                Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                                Newsflash, but the field is ALREADY uneven...against us. WAY uneven IMO. Look at the our import vs. export numbers. They speak for themselves. That, and alot of our core jobs are being shipped overseas.
                                And why is it unfair again? Is it because "they" (whoever that is) are out to destroy America? Sorry. The reason is because of the unfairly high wages (as compared to the rest of the world) we demand of our employers. We have done it to ourselves; we are not the victims of some other nation's vendetta. Look at it from the eyes of a citizen of a financially poor, politically oppressed nation; you would want a piece of the pie, too. In fact, we have most of the pie, and are screaming like a bunch of brats because a few small pieces are being taken away.
                                Where did you see me say that? I've had this conversation before. I stated the we as a nation need to change the way we think and act IRT jobs and wages, and how I laid alot of the blame at the Union's doorstep because they're about two to three decades behind in their way of thinking. But before you think I'm letting the corporations off the hook, think again. Instead of trying to find a way to control wages here at home, they sold out the American worker and moved their factories either to Mexico or overseas. And if you think China is our buddy, you better think again. They'd like nothing better than to see us shrivel away. We're still referred to as the "Imperialist Enemy" in China. Don't believe me? Do a little research. It's not hard to find. You're right, we do have a big piece of the pie...but between illegal immigrants, and all the things I mentioned before, our pie is fast disappearing. Should we let all the pie disappear before we do something about it???

Comment

Working...
                                X