1985 'Cuda, 1986 Road Runner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 'Cuda, 1986 Road Runner.

The two '85 Cudas are essentially Omni GLHS engines, Shelby Charger body pieces on Turismo TC-3 bodies. Reportedly, Carroll Shelby threatened to end the business partnership if they proceeded with the 'Cuda. Both cars are restored and in private hands now.

The Road Runner is based on a Diplomat Coupe. Power was supposed to come from a 200-hp injected 318. The nose looks like a Dodge Daytona's to me.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

shameful memory.

the omni engine is where I learned alot about the four cyl...until the boxer.

1986 had a worlds greatest..and nothing special at 10k brand new.

that paradox is grotesque.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

They both show someone in Chrysler had a performance leaning (even if management duct-taped him to a chair and shoved him in a closet somewhere). The 'Cuda...eh. It's an effort, and GLHS/Shelby could move. The Road Runner could easily be done, and reverse engineered. I'd love to see it happen.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I miss my CSX (dodge shadow Shelby-ized)

Comment

Bry...I got this info you sent. Plan on runnig it on the front page later this week. I think it is a neat story!
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Bryan, that stuff might rank as an odd curiosity, but it is just a forgotten footnote in history. The TC3, Charger 2.2, Omni and all that is just gone with no cache, and that's that. Just junked, crushed, and scrapped for the most part a decade ago - virtually none left today. I saw the post on Moparts on the 'cuda', and my thought was that it was a blind alley anyway, and pretty well pointless. As for the RWD M-body RR, you are better off with your Mirada, or even a Dippy cop car for that type of machine, although my favorite is really the J-body Cordoba.
            -dulcich

Comment

It's two things that intrigue me about them both:

1. The backstory, which for me is a little more than an "odd curiosity". I like to see what could have been.

2. I am a huge fan of reverse-engineering, and with the RR, it's close enough that doing up a clone is relatively feasible, possibly using a highly modified Imperial nose to get it right. Yes, I know it's dreaming, but that's half the fun...hell, isn't that why I like these things? I'd love to do up my own RR, paying the Dayclona people to make the body kits, getting a Quaife sequential behind some screamer small block, having the Alter-K-Tion front end up front and a Dana out back. If I ever get the funds, I promise that project will be ON.

Comment

hahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah
                OMG

Comment

a friend of mine has a GLH body and a 2.5 shelby engine. someday they may meet !
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

That article is great ! So Chrysler was going to build their own Monte SS. Too bad it didnt happen.

Comment

Exactly. And 200hp in '86 would have let it play, though it should have been more like 250-270 to be top.

Comment

Very interesting what could have been. There's still a bit of a cult following for the turbo Omnis. I've sometimes thought creating something like a Diplomat answer to the Grand National (powered by a turbo slant six, naturally - another thing that seems to have made it to the prototype stage) would be interesting.

Comment

I've always had a thing for the turbo Omnis, I was looking at one for sale a while ago.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Same here, love 'em. I figure my Neon SRT4 is the great grandfather of the Omni GLHS.
                            A Monte SS competitor would have been cool!
                            Those were some dark days in the automotive age, but interestingly a great time to be into performance motorcycles.
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 6, 2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X