Calling those who know everything there is to know about 1969 Camaros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling those who know everything there is to know about 1969 Camaros

I bought my 69 Camaro back in 1996 from a muscle car/specialty dealership here in Michigan. They didn't sell it as an SS, as they couldn't prove it was. It had all the SS emblems, which anybody could obviously install. It wasn't an all original/numbers matching car, and the trim tag on the firewall was long gone. I realize that being able to prove it is a real SS is pretty much impossible, short of tracking down the first or second owner.

My question is, since the car had power disc brakes on the front, and 12 bolt rear in the back, what are the odds it was/is a real SS? The car had a 350 in it, but it was a 70's 350. It also had a TH350 w/horse shoe shifter. The heater box was for a small block, so if anything, I would assume it would have been an SS350. So, with the power disc brakes and 12 bolt, is there a good chance it was an SS?

My car is far from what it was when I purchased it, and restoring it all back to original will never happen on my watch. All emblems are gone, aside from the SS on grill and tail, and the 350 is now a fire breathing 468 with 700+ hp, backed by a TH400. It also sports a 12 point roll cage. So while it really means little to me whether its a real SS or not, I can't help but wonder whether it was.
    Motor City Muscle

No expert here, but I don't think it would be uncommon for a '69 to have a 70's 350.....didn't the 69's run last until the '70's anyway?
    I don't think having a 12 bolt means it's an SS though, for example a lot of COPO's had 12 bolts and wern't SS's....The horse shoe shifter is intresting though. I don't think you could rule it out, but without a firewall tag it would be hard to say for sure.
    Kinda back where you started huh? lol
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Short of getting the RO from the original selling dealership, I can't imagine you could have proof positive. All the things you list are pretty easy to mimic - the 12 bolt would be a natural replacement for a scattered 10 bolt... that you bought it from a dealership who would have been motivated to prove is provence; would suggest it's probably not.... why do you think the firewall tag was removed?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just make up a good story, and stick to it.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Some more things that were common on an S/S is a 3/8 fuel line, dual exhaust (factory dual exhaust had an extra hanger behind the left rear wheel on th e sub frame), 5 leaf springs, tire size sticker on glove box door ( I think F-70 x 14) Hood springs had 3 more coils than a non-S/S (28-29 coils). My 68 convertible is a real S/S and it came with F 70 tires. For more and correct information, google camaros.org. Jack
          Last edited by smalblock; March 6, 2012, 03:40 PM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

My buddy Dave has had 3 69 Z28's (real ones) and has educated himself about those cars as much as is possible I think... however, without the trim tag he may not be able to help you.

Googling, I see the only thing you can learn about the engine from the VIN is the 3rd digit... If it's a 3 it was a 6 cylinder, and if it's a 4 it was an 8 cylinder... lots of help there!

Comment

I like squirrel's comment! LMAO Seriously, I'm really not concerned about being able to claim it's a real SS or not, since I've restored it from the ground up, made it into what I wanted, and aside from the body, very little stock remains in the car. I was just curious as to whether the 12 bolt and front discs were rather uncommon outside of SS's. Hell, I've even replaced the whole brake system when I went through it, with parts from the local parts shop.

As for the trim tag, they had smoothed the firewall. Not even the wiper motor was spared. It wasn't until after I bought the car that I realized the wipers weren't working, and quickly discovered "Hey, there's no wiper motor where it's suppose to be...what the hell?" My 89 Firebird got my feet wet, but I was soaked head to tow after I dove into restoring my Camaro. It taught me all I know about cars.
              Motor City Muscle

Comment

12 bolt and disc brakes are FAR from evidence to say it's an SS if Chevy put those 2 little things on that car. Now add the fact that anyone could've bolted the 2 options to that car through the years...and you have nothing as far as proof of anything. Also, ANY 350 in your car other than the original tells nothing. Also, let's say for sake of argument it was a real SS at one time. There's so much changed at this point...it's technically not an SS any more in most people's eyes. Just sayin
                STUGOTS

Comment

Groucho is right. To those who value real SS's, the car needs to be as close to stock as possible. So much of your car has been modded over the years, whether or not its a real SS is irrevelant. As long as you like the car, nothing else matters.

My Impala is in the same situation. Nothing on it is stock anymore, the fact that it is an SS means very little. Its not rare anyways, except maybe the paint code. I wanted it that ways because I planned to go way away from stock.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Did I mention that its a Chrysler color? LOL Yeah, I hear you guys....so far from stock, it wouldn't matter. Was just curious I guess. I'm also about to switch the tail lights to RS lights, because I like them better. I guess I've always taken more of a "street rodder" approach to my car. Don't care about stock, just wanna build something cool. I like to believe I've accomplished that, though its still an evolving project.
                    Motor City Muscle

Comment

Also, to clarify, I only mentioned the 70's 350 to inform you it wasn't original numbers matching. I guess I should have been more clear.
                      Motor City Muscle

Comment

I know the made RS/SS and they made RS/ Z28, but never a SS / Z28 - until modern times.

Comment

Working...
                        X