Cummins Question - and Farewell to the Dak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins Question - and Farewell to the Dak

So far the new-to-me truck is doing fine but I do have a question. How come when I shut it off does it sneeze? More like a dog sneeze "CHOOF" rather than a human "ACHOO".

My guess is that it has something to do with the wastegate but I wondered if anyone else has a clue. As a reminder, it's an early 2002 (looks like a 2001) Dodge 5.9l ISB.

Lovin' the truck so far.

Second part of the post -
    The Dakota has headed down the road. I had it at a consignment lot and darn if he didn't sell it. I got the bottom of my asking price but it's sold and will be off the insurance tomorrow. It'll be a Little River SC (near Myrtle Beach) teen-aged boy's first ride. A V8 Dakota is better than most of us get!

Dan

Any ideas on the sneeze?

Dan

Comment

Sticky/bad injector? possibly hanging open when you shut it down bleeding fuel into the combustion chanber.

My uncle was stationed down near Little River when he was in the USMC, not a bad little town.
      Last edited by JOES66FURY; March 7, 2012, 07:59 AM.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Diesels don't "free Wheel " when you shut them off , they just stop ..and drive belt momentum gives out a squeak noise

Comment

My brother's '01 does the same thing. The local cummins hot rod truck guy says its the waste gate bleeding off pressure when you shut it down. Seems plausible but I'm not that well versed on the diesel stuff.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My powerstroke bleeds off turbo pressure through the tail pipe, you can only hear it if you're standing near the tailpipe or windows down parked next to a wall.

The waste gate bleed off sounds plausible. Does it have a clutch fan? If that's free wheeling after shut off that could make some noise as Spidey suggests.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
              My brother's '01 does the same thing. The local cummins hot rod truck guy says its the waste gate bleeding off pressure when you shut it down. Seems plausible but I'm not that well versed on the diesel stuff.
              There isn's any pressure on either side of the WG unless they're shutting off the engine under boost.

The "sneeze" is what Jim says - accessories wanting to freewheel meeting the high compression, "instant shutdown" - with a fresh serpentine belt, mine "squeaks" on shutdown. With a worn serp, mine makes a sound not unlike a sneeze described by Dan.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I bet it's the belt then. The serp is not new but has plenty of life left in it. Makes sense that it would stop all of a sudden.

Thanks all for the input.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; March 7, 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I buy that too ....
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I bet it's the belt then. The serp is not new but has plenty of life left in it. Makes sense that it would stop all of a sudden.

Thanks all for the input.

Dan
                    put a dab of dielectric grease on the belt

Comment

It really doesn't bother me but I wanted to understand it. I'm curious about EVERYTHING - one of my strengths - and weaknesses.

Dan

Comment

My 2002 Dodge Cummins does it too. Its the belt.
                        Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

Working...
                        X