Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Camera systems...what are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Camera systems...what are you using?

Well...given recent events it's become time to install a different security camera system at my home. I'm looking for the type that can be monitored from my phone and will alert me to motion going on. Apparently ADT and the local sheriff didn't respond to an alarm on my 40' storage container and some frickin tweakers got some of my stash of vintage speed parts while I was gone at the March Meet.
    My old system is outdated and the resolution and night IR view of 20' just wont cut it......so...let me know what and who you are using for keeping an eye on things.
    Last edited by Chassisman; March 6, 2012, 04:57 PM.
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

I have also been looking at different security systems and cameras trying to figure out what to purchase.

I went to a local Comp USA store which is part of Tiger Direct and I was lucky to find a salesman who spent the better part of an hour showing me different camera's and explain why one is better then the other.

They have many different types of hard wire systems and all can be monitored from a smart phone which is what I want.

I am also checking into some wireless cameras for inside the building. I like the idea that wireless cameras can be moved to different places where as the hard wire system for the outside of the building is fixed.

The placement of the cameras is very important so that you can see license plate numbers and not just some figure in a hooded sweatshirt and sun glasses which would not be of much help in identifying someone.

The big problem in selecting the proper system is there are so many of them to choose from and they all claim to be the best.

Good Luck Jimbo

Comment

My cop friend and his wife look after our place by staying there when we're away...they like the views and we don't have as many cats.
      Last edited by Huskinhano; March 6, 2012, 10:33 PM.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I've been looking into IP cameras that use a POE Ethernet connection.......POE stands for Power Over Ethernet, I thought about going wireless but you have to run a power wire anyway.....you can get the POE Ethernet cable super cheap on ebay, I bought a 300 foot one when I put the access point at the pool.......All you need is a POE hub connected to your router and then just run your lines.....You can also search POE camera on ebay and there are many to choose from that range from $1000's to under $100......

I've been looking at camera's like this one, the software supports up to 9 cameras and is accessible from anywhere with a smart phone.....they also pan and tilt and have a built in speaker and microphone so you can talk to people on the other end.....

Comment

I have armed guards at the entrance to my housing complex...who screen ID's, visitors must have a pass and back ground check. Not to mention the fence, barbed wire and armed patrolls....

A benift to living on a military installation I guess...or not...depends on how you look at it...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
            I have armed guards at the entrance to my housing complex...who screen ID's, visitors must have a pass and back ground check. Not to mention the fence, barbed wire and armed patrolls....

A benift to living on a military installation I guess...or not...depends on how you look at it...
            Too bad we don't have the US Armed Forces protecting us.... oh wait
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
            X