No announcement yet.

ICON Steel buildings...any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICON Steel buildings...any experience?

I'm in the planning stages with our county to put up a 50x80x16 building. ICON seems to be the best pricing so far. Have any of you dealt with them recently or in the past? The building itself from them is right at 20K.....of course the concrete and electrical will cost that also at least....lol
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

nice size and price.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      nice size and price.
      Wanted a 120x80 but the county shot it down.....too big to be called "personal storage"....lol....50x80 is the max they'll let me go on 5 acres here in the Nazi state.....

Comment

when I built mine, every inspector (all 3) made it clear that I was not to run a business out of my shop.... yeah, I know about the nazis, California has exported several to Washington.

Is ICON supplying just the material, or labor as well?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
          Wanted a 120x80 but the county shot it down.....too big to be called "personal storage"....lol....50x80 is the max they'll let me go on 5 acres here in the Nazi state.....
          Had that same issue here in NC, but it was the county's call. 30X40 was all they'd let me build.

I went with Kentucky Steel Truss Building Company. They did me right. One of the things I learned is that some steel buildings expect you to buy the perlins and girts locally, using wood. Not a good plan as the roofing and siding screws will work their way out of wood and you have to run around and tighen them once a year or so. The KSTB's come with galvanized steel perlins and girts and I have NO loose screws (the ones in the building, not the ones in my head) some 6 years later. They were also the only company that would put the wind load rating on paper and I'm in a hurricane zone.

No clue if they service California but worth a look.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            Is ICON supplying just the material, or labor as well?
            ....Just the building....I have plenty of labor.....got the concrete guys covered too.....helps to print shirts and make signs for ALL THE LABOR industries locally.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Had that same issue here in NC, but it was the county's call. 30X40 was all they'd let me build.

I went with Kentucky Steel Truss Building Company. They did me right. One of the things I learned is that some steel buildings expect you to buy the perlins and girts locally, using wood. Not a good plan as the roofing and siding screws will work their way out of wood and you have to run around and tighen them once a year or so. The KSTB's come with galvanized steel perlins and girts and I have NO loose screws (the ones in the building, not the ones in my head) some 6 years later. They were also the only company that would put the wind load rating on paper and I'm in a hurricane zone.

No clue if they service California but worth a look.

Dan
              We have a 70mph load requirement here...no snow load either....building permit is 5,800.00...gotta love CA. I'll check them out too...thanks

Comment

OUCH! That permit fee is NUTS! Do you get infinite reinspections? The fees in Ann Arbor were pricey (not THAT bad, though) but they'd come out as many times as you needed them. It was great thing when e did the addition on the house (we went up a floor) as it was not a cook-book addition and we needed their input to make sure everything would pass final.

Here they would only do so many inspections for each trade then you got a bill.

Dan

Comment

Chassisman, what county are you in? I was also looking at the ICON building, but if I remember right, 60x120; but hadn't considered that government might tell me I can't build it, OR that kind of money for a permit. I'm in Tulare county, and will have to look into those things. Good luck with your project.
                  -dulcich

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                    Chassisman, what county are you in? I was also looking at the ICON building, but if I remember right, 60x120; but hadn't considered that government might tell me I can't build it, OR that kind of money for a permit. I'm in Tulare county, and will have to look into those things. Good luck with your project.
                    -dulcich
                    Steve...I'm in Madera County...but we know the same people... Tony and Frank Lindner are good friends of mine....remember those guys?...LOL
                    I think Tulare County is more forgiving due to the ag industry there....dairies build monster buildings all the time. Madera County is ridiculous when it comes to small projects. Been close to a year dealing with the planning dept....they shot down 2 proposals so far...I think they are trying to wear me down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                      Steve...I'm in Madera County...but we know the same people... Tony and Frank Lindner are good friends of mine....remember those guys?...LOL
                      I think Tulare County is more forgiving due to the ag industry there....dairies build monster buildings all the time. Madera County is ridiculous when it comes to small projects. Been close to a year dealing with the planning dept....they shot down 2 proposals so far...I think they are trying to wear me down.
                      Small world, Tony lived just across the road from me, but I haven't seen him in a few years since he moved and got out of farming; really good guy. Those guys have been hot rodders for years; I remember years ago Tony painted his farm truck in my one car garage that I converted to a paint booth.

I would have liked to have met you and some of the other board members at the MM, but just couldn't get away this year, even though Famoso is very close. As for the building stuff, I was making money hand over fist and was ready to throw-down on the monster building until I got into this farming stuff, and kind of shelved the plans for now as a result. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have sitting out in the weather getting ruined. I figure since I'm in ag they will let me build anything I want.
                      -dulcich
                      Last edited by dulcich; March 7, 2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                        Small world, Tony lived just across the road from me, but I haven't seen him in a few years since he moved and got out of farming; really good guy. Those guys have been hot rodders for years; I remember years ago Tony painted his farm truck in my one car garage that I converted to a paint booth.

I would have liked to have met you and some of the other board members at the MM, but just couldn't get away this year, even though Famoso is very close. As for the building stuff, I was making money hand over fist and was ready to throw-down on the monster building until I got into this farming stuff, and kind of shelved the plans for now as a result. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have sitting out in the weather getting ruined. I figure since I'm in ag they will let me build anything I want.
                        -dulcich
                        Frank took me by your place one time.... it looks alot like mine...68 Dart...69 Road Runner...etc....etc...all sittin outside waiting their turn....LOL

Comment

Back when my brothers and I were all in high school, we would be in the shop all day wrenching on stuff, and then tearing around like the Duke boys in the Chargers. I remember Tony asking me why we were messing with those heavy slugs, and suggesting building a real drag car. He had a T Altered drag car with a Chevy big block that would have put the hurt on anything I've had.
                          -dulcich

Comment

Working...
                          X