X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where The Boys Went

Spring break early '60's

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

That's fantastic. There it is. It's happening still. You just have to look for it. I for Juan think the world is a whole lot more messed up than it used to be, but I'm jaded because I'm old. But I'm still open minded enough to believe that fun is just waiting for you. You have to make it happen, or it won't happen.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Rambler sure was ugly -
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Chet Huntley rocked. Brian Williams should have never attempted to share the stage with him....not worthy.

But, ....yeah, that clip is great. Don't know how many here can even identiy with it. I grew up in black-and-white. I can't even remember colors from then, but Huntley and Brinkley brought the news into the house while Daddy had the TV on the channel he wanted to watch.

Yeah, Ramblers were butt catfish ugly. Now, at least. But that was then. And I sure wouldn't want to ever go back.
        Last edited by pdub; March 9, 2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

They drank lots of beer
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            They drank lots of beer
            Beer is good.

EDIT: "....up to 30 CANS OF BEER PER DAY..." as the story was related.
            Last edited by pdub; March 9, 2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Graduating high school in South Carolina, it was a big thing to do First Week at the Beach, down at Myrtle Beach. Same thing as Spring Break in Daytona, teens gone crazy. We'd rent beachfront houses (or somebody did, and everybody would dogpile in) and none of our parents had any idea what was going on. I guess they thought it was a real wholesome getaway, like summer camp.

Right. It wasn't just for graduation, it went on for about three years, a tradition leading up to graduation and then you didn't need to do it anymore. The movie Animal House....that was just about on target. Close, but not far enough.

There was a statistician among us, let's say "Randy," a guy who didn't drink at all, but loved being in the mix. So let's say Onus and Bluto got into an argument about who could drink the most beer for the longest time. At 8 a.m. the contest started, and Randy stayed up following and keeping score on the other two fools were in a marathon drinking contest. The rest of us lost interest quickly, but Randy stayed with them keeping score, staying awake as long as they did.

The final result - 40 hours and 61 beers for the loser, the guy who passed out first. One extra beer for the winner to celebrate before he was carted off. As far as I know, Randy and the two contestants are still alive, even to this day. Amazing. But I live somewhere else now so I'm not so sure.
              Last edited by pdub; March 9, 2012, 07:31 AM.

Comment

More proof that I was born in the wrong era....that looks to me like WAY more fun than the crap they do now...Music was better, cruising, jamming on the guitar at the beach, some beers....certainly fits my idea of a good time
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  More proof that I was born in the wrong era....that looks to me like WAY more fun than the crap they do now...Music was better, cruising, jamming on the guitar at the beach, some beers....certainly fits my idea of a good time
                  Well Joe, I think it's all relative. Life is what it is, no matter when and were you are.

Those snapshots from the past leave a whole lot out.

Pinkard and Bowden did a song called "The Fifties Sucked." It's largely about that, an era when things were glamorized but the real truth was bad.
                  Last edited by pdub; March 9, 2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Born in 75, Growing up in the 80's and early 90's...those sucked out loud. But really, I guess it boils down to my envy of those that got to enjoy their youth no matter what era the lived in..
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      Born in 75, Growing up in the 80's and early 90's...those sucked out loud. But really, I guess it boils down to my envy of those that got to enjoy their youth no matter what era the lived in..
                      I've got mixed feelings about it, born in 57. Got to see a President murdered over and over on TV. And then the murder of his accused killer inside the police station. And lots of other political killings after that.

But now, I wouldn't want to be any younger. I wouldn't want to face the world as it is, kids wondering if they are in danger at school...and they are.

Stude says that I think everything is a potential disaster. Yep, I think it is. It's a result of what I see.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                        I've got mixed feelings about it, born in 57. Got to see a President murdered over and over on TV. And then the murder of his accused killer inside the police station. And lots of other political killings after that.

But now, I wouldn't want to be any younger. I wouldn't want to face the world as it is, kids wondering if they are in danger at school...and they are.

Stude says that I think everything is a potential disaster. Yep, I think it is. It's a result of what I see.
                        I think the same way, I am conditioned to think that way becasue of what I do.

Growing up when I did, I can remeber the constant fear of nuclear war becasue that is what was on TV and every magazine out there. The mills in my town shut down and 80% of the town lost their jobs. We watched a whole community vanish over night. Unemployment was high, jobs just were not there. Lots of families fell apart, all my friends were home alone all the time cuz mom and dad had to wor 2 jobs each to make ends meet...every generation has their issues I guess...I would not want to be a teen now thats for damn sure.

The mid 90's were okay, there seemed to be few cares about anything.

Comment

My oldest brother could have been among that group on the beach. Pretty sure he didn't make that scene because he had to work to earn money for his next semester - Dad wasn't paying. But he graduated from HS in 1960 so he'd have been exactly the right age. I was a few years behind them but I remember that time clearly (born in '47). Whenever I hear about how great "those times" (whatever times are being romanticized) were I add "if you were white and middle class". By the time I got to HS (graduated in '65) we were still white and were then well into the middle class so my experiences were pretty good. Got in 1 year of college but I was still expected to pay my own way so there was no partying on the beach. A year later and I was married and on my way to being a Dad.

I think every "time" has great times and tough times depending on what happens to you and who you are as a person. I'm pretty happy with my life but I'm a pretty positive sort of guy.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; March 9, 2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Dan, I try my best to be positive and upbeat as well. I'm not nearly as good as it as you are, you are the icon of positive.

In my own life, I've had so many people say to me the same thing - "I can't BELIEVE you put up with all of that shit you went through (back whenever)."

But it doesn't feel that way. I didn't dwell on it then and I don't choose to recall it now. All I know is that today is wonderful. In a way, it's best to wade through crap to be able to fully realize the difference. Yeah, life is genuinely grand. It is now, but hasn't always been so. But it's sure fine today, and today is the only day we have.
                            Last edited by pdub; March 9, 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I'd go back to the 60's in a heart beat.......hell, even boot camp.

We were poor but didn't know it.......just other kids had more
                              than we did.
                              Didn't have a care in the world.......the music was great, worked
                              on our own junk to make 'em go faster. We had survival skills.

Yeah.......I'd do it all over again.
                              Thom

Comment

Working...
                              X