Joyriding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyriding

This morning we got up and got in Red and went joyriding. Ar-ar-ar WHOOOM!!!! in the garage. Dang, that's music.

We were looking for a road that my neighbor Superman told me about, where you can drive 28 miles as fast as you want because you'll never see a cop or another soul for the whole distance. He gave good directions, but I don't think he's all that good at directions.

I any case, we have some great driving roads here in eastern Tennessee. Scenic. You've got some hills and curves that make things interesting, and all that opens up into a straightaway where you can see a whole mile. VROOM!

So this morning there was a time or two, maybe a place or two, where we may have slightly uhhhh, exceeded (doubled) the posted limit of 55. Unit's going "VROOM" and laughing and talking to Red, not to me. "Red, you have to bahave up ahead, there's a hill we can't see over." Red obeyed.

But I've noticed that when we're all piled up in the car, Unit and Spankie and me, Red's just not as fast. You guys are going, "duhhhhhhh," but yeah, big difference. Red's only got 300 HP and the extra weight with all of us has me downshifting and thinking, "Here we go," and then....where is it? Red...giddyup! But he's doing all that he can do.

I can sure ID with the folks who take all of the weight off of a hotrod possible. That's a simple equation, with measurable results. But one thing I was VERY surprised about while I was surfing and looking up some things the other day, Red has the same curb weight as Bubba the Truck, the F-150. I woulda never guessed. I always thought while driving Bubba (wide, up high -arr-arr-arr) that if I hit something, I would win.

I'dda just never thunk Red and Bubba weighed the same. Bluebelle the new Fusion is a couple or few hundred pounds lighter than either of them.

Maybe I should start drilling holes in Red....no, forget that. Red is just like he is.
    Last edited by pdub; March 11, 2012, 12:59 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Yeah, Red and my Sally are plump little rollie pollies, force fed a bunch of crap by gov't rules and regulations. My 66 Plymouth weighs less than the Mustang.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I too have found how porky these cars are, but I do like them.

Comment

Joe, have you done modified Sally at all? I'm tempted to, but if I lift a finger toward it, Red'll be ruined.

Comment

Nothing a torquey 350 chevy wont fix. Just kidding around, But on the serious side , my 87 trans am with the factory 350 chevy only has 230horse but something like 320- 340 pound foot of torque. I'm 180 and my buddy down the street is 280 . I really don't notice any difference with him in it. The car itself weighs around 3800. It is pretty much loaded down. So..... you exegerating a little ? Whats the torque rating on red?
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
            Joe, have you done modified Sally at all? I'm tempted to, but if I lift a finger toward it, Red'll be ruined.
            No, I dont intend to right now either. The car is plenty fast enough for me as it is. With the 5spd it is a blast to drive, handles well, rides good and gets pretty damn good mileage.
            At some point there are some things I would like to do like a cold air intake and tuner, headers and cams...maybe some asthetic things like a set of Foose stripes and a Rouch wing and splitter but none of that will happen anytime soon
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
              Nothing a torquey 350 chevy wont fix. Just kidding around, But on the serious side , my 87 trans am with the factory 350 chevy only has 230horse but something like 320- 340 pound foot of torque. I'm 180 and my buddy down the street is 280 . I really don't notice any difference with him in it. The car itself weighs around 3800. It is pretty much loaded down. So..... you exegerating a little ? Whats the torque rating on red?
              They are about 300hp/320tq and weight about 3500 pounds. But supprisingly with me at about 240 and Bryan at abour 260+ and my son at 110...it really does affect the cars performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                No, I dont intend to right now either. The car is plenty fast enough for me as it is. With the 5spd it is a blast to drive, handles well, rides good and gets pretty damn good mileage.
                At some point there are some things I would like to do like a cold air intake and tuner, headers and cams...maybe some asthetic things like a set of Foose stripes and a Rouch wing and splitter but none of that will happen anytime soon
                Yeah, I've seen and shopped the cold air intakes. You "bolt on" 40 HP or something. But then you have the computer talk to go with that. That's the one thing I'm most intimidated by. Hardware cost x2 and I'm just sure that as soon as I hooked that computer thing up to Red, he'd never crank again because I sure as flying squirrells don't have a freakin clue what I'm doing.

Naw, I'll just put gas in him.

Comment

Most of the good intakes for these cars require a tune as well. It is simple, plug and play stuff. So easy a cave man can do it. I dont think I have heard of anyone having issues when using a programmer. The cold air intakes that dont require a tune are a waste of money for these cars IMO, they look cool but dont offer the performance gains to jusstify the cost IMO.

Comment

Buy me one Joe. I'll Pay for it. And you put it on. I'll pay for that, too.

Comment

a 74 chevelle sedan weighed 3700..
                      the trans am (I am familiar with it) has got you in a false number. that is a freakishly light car.

days of draft digging into the situaion are over ruled today the other direction..add a load to a cylinder the impedance changes taking power.

you guys have plenty of v8, it is simply the new fuel setups don't like big loads...until you get into 120v diesel injectors.

I love to brag of the 3 main boxer with a carb when these things get noticed with the new stuff.. my own would get bigger until it blew chunks..just by adding some weight.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 11, 2012, 03:25 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

No, I'm not stretching the truth this time. He really is a whole lot slower with a car load of bodies and a dog. I can sure tell it, from driving it so much by myself. A BIG difference. Like towing a trailer, and Unit's just about my size and Spankie weighs about 55 pounds. That much extra weight, now I'm driving a slower car.

I don't know about the torque, I guess you could just look the specs on an '06 stock Mustang GT 4.6L three-valve. That's all he is. Plenty of fun to drive. He's stock, all the way.

Comment

Let SU drive, she may be a better shoe..
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                            Let SU drive, she may be a better shoe..
                            The gas pedal all the way to the floor is what it is.

Unit's a little afraid of the redline when she drives Red. She's declared that she likes it better when I drive him, and she rides...

VROOM!
                            Last edited by pdub; March 11, 2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I know the feeling on not wanting to modify. Mileage vs. Power. When I bought the T/A eight tears ago. I wanted something that didn't need restored had at least 16 inch wheels, four wheel discs, and enough power to be fun . Its been a great daily driver. Now ..... it looks like I need to restor it.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X