No announcement yet.

What your pick em up truck getting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What your pick em up truck getting.....

Ok, here's the scoop. I recently bought a 92 Dodge 150, 2 wheel drive, 5.2, 518 auto, 8ft bed with a topper. It has 86,000 original miles, and I gave less than $500 bucks for it. After driving in to Detroit and back, loaded with a few hundred pounds, and into the wind one way, I calculated the mpg's when I got home. I am getting 18.3mpg. Not shabby at all for a 20 year old truck! What are you getting in your parts chaser?
    Last edited by RAIV70Judge; March 11, 2012, 08:45 PM.
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

I drove my 57 chevy one ton with a big block and no OD to SoCal last weekend...11 round trip, running 65 or so most of the time.

My wife's late model Chevys get around 20
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Let's see... lifted, 4x4, 3/4 ton 4.10 geared full size Chevrolet truck turbo diesel. 17 city, 21 highway, worst tank 15, best tank 25.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

'03 Dodge Cummins 4x4 manual trans. stock save for the Edge performance tuner. best ever 25 hwy, unladen. worst ever 17 around town pulling my lawncare trailer.

Comment

i dont own one but my moms 2001 5.3 silverado gets 18-20 and my dads 2011 4 cyl canyon gets 25-ish
          formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
          http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

I have an 06 Duramax and Highway driving was 17 to 18 mpg and towing was around 10 to 11 mpg but I just installed a programmer and without going through and trying different programs yet it looks like the Highway mpg is up around 25, the real test will be when I hitch up the 12,000 lb. car trailer, I'm hoping for at least 13 mpg and possibly more, especially with Diesel being $4.00 plus per gallon!
            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize that a programmer would increase the mpg's that much on a Diesel. I was very happy with 18, couldn't imagine getting 20 or more. I'm not sure how the Dodge will do with my 18' car trailer and the 5.2, but I'm going to try it.
              HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
              DW- 12,16,17
              "Stay thirsty my friends"
              The worlds most interesting man

Comment

99 K2500 Suburban with 7.4 is gettting 9 mpg empty or towing. I'm two years out from being able to replace it so I'm hoping a tune up will help some, best it's ever got was around 12 mpg.

Comment

98 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 454 4l80e 410 gears... gets 10mpg

Comment

I have a '90 chevy 1500 4.3 with a 5-speed and 3.08 gears, if I tried to figure out what it gets around town I'd probably be too depressed, but on the highway it gets around 20-22mpg.
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Best I've gotten in a diesel 4x4 was an all highway trip with the '97 supercab long box 7.3 powerstroke 5 speed. It had all terrain tires - not the best for rolling resistance - but it did have a cap/topper/shell on the bed which helps for aero - running 65 mph to keep the 4.10 gears in the powerstrokes favorite rpm range (1800 -2000) I got 19.5mpg running back and forth from Detroit to Chicago.

The 2001 has 3.73 gears and less aggressive all terrain tires - but it's an auto - I hope with some tuning and the exhaust I still have to install - I can get back up around 20 - it's 15-18 with mixed driving now.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My 99 Ram got about 9 on its best day and 7 on its worst but before I lifted it and added bigger tires and such I got about 12...the Magnum engine series was not very good for MPG's....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                          Wow! I didn't realize that a programmer would increase the mpg's that much on a Diesel. I was very happy with 18, couldn't imagine getting 20 or more. I'm not sure how the Dodge will do with my 18' car trailer and the 5.2, but I'm going to try it.
                          This got 15 from Amarillo To OKC at 65-ish. 18' trailer and all my Drag Week junk. 5.2L 3.55's 235/75-15 tires. Of course it dropped to 11 when I picked up a strong head wind leaving OKC. It normally gets 18 driving 70 on the highway, but I have driven it easy 60-65 and it was up around 22.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

'88 F350 dually crew cab,7.3 diesel IDI NA. 18 mpg, towing 10-12.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

My 454 Suburban is somewhere around 10 to 12, never bothered to calculate it exactly as the trip odometer isn't working.
                              Last edited by Matt Cramer; March 12, 2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X