Then Versus Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then Versus Now

My first car, 1971 Charger R/T, bought in 1979 when I was a sophomore in high school. Built the 440 with max-ported heads, big valves, Isky Megacam, headers, TRW 'Sixpack' pistons, alternated between a Sixpack when it worked to a Holley 750 on a Torker. Besides building the engine, I painted it myself, built the trans with a transpac and a B&M holeshot. Used to run 2.76 gears for highway flying, or 4.10s for the drags. This photo was in 1986, deep down in Baja California, Mexico.

This is the same car basically as it sits today. No drivetrain, partially stripped out interior... I'm gonna fix her up one day.

Actually, that Dupont Centari in the original Y9 covered with Centari 780 clear that I shot back in the mid 80's looks like it might just buff out.
    -dulcich

wow, is that an air grabber hood . you owe it to it to give it some LOVE!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

where did you work then ?

Comment

Good luck luck buffing out the vinyl top.

Seriously, at least you kept your first car, I wish I had.

Can't find it now and I'm bummed.

Will we see it back to life soon?
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
          wow, is that an air grabber hood . you owe it to it to give it some LOVE!
          I know. I'm going to make a real effort to get it back together this year. I used to cruise that thing all over the country back in the day. I added a bunch of parts from the old 77-78 Monocco CHP cars to it back then, rear swaybar, engine, tranny and PS coolers, Steering box, 12-inch discs. It made it great for high speed cruising when the 2.76 sure grip pig was in it.

The hood is a standard R/T hood. In the first picture it has a Rallye hood because I had all the latches out of the car and forgot to put the pins in it one day. Replaced the R/T hood with the Rallye, and it took me six years to find a correct replacement for the original.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            where did you work then ?
            Forklift driver in the summer, construction while in school. Stuff was way cheaper back then, and nobody wanted those cars. I bought it off a mechanic for $2300 bucks. That was serious dough for an old Dodge, but I had never seen anything like it. Parts were plentiful in the junkyard too. Got the sixpack for 75 bucks complete off a racer at the Dodge dealership, then got another off a 70 Charger at the wreckers for the same price. I remember just choking over the $300 trw pistons; that was the most I had spent on anything in one shot on the car.

Comment

hee hee

Comment

The fact that you still own it cool, I love that bodystyle.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

So what are you waiting for? Get to it. My first car hasnt been driven since your first pic was taken. Started the paint job that summer, finished painting it in 2008. Still havent gotten the thing running, been working on Pontiac for the FIL. I remember scrounging junk yards for parts and old cars, man there were lots of deals to be had before the 90s.

Someday never comes, go out and get started. All the parts are there, you just need a few more and some time to clean everything. Soon we will be too old to do this stuff, and I want to see that thing making smoke.

Comment

Get it rolling. Not enough of that era of Dodges out on the road. I actually like the Rallye hood.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      I actually like the Rallye hood.
                      X2
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17
                      "Stay thirsty my friends"
                      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge View Post
                        X2
                        X3...that first pic is classy.I know a guy that has a 71 R/T with Hemi and 4 speed...its a 40000miles car,with only 2-3 owners since new..brought to Sweden in 72 or so...But he use it.

Comment

I dont always keep old dodges around, but when I do...its my first one.

Dude, you need to drop everything and put it together...show DF how its done.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

gonna have it on the road again by the time you're 50? I still don't have my first one going again....I need to get working on it.

It's been a long time since I'd want to take a car I like into Mexico
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              gonna have it on the road again by the time you're 50? I still don't have my first one going again....I need to get working on it.

It's been a long time since I'd want to take a car I like into Mexico
                              Yeah, I still have some time left, but I do want to get back on it. I actually started on it a few years back, but got derailed by the wierdest thing. First, I had to replace the vinyl top, and I got a new correct one from Year One to replace the generic aftermarket one that I put on back when. I've done a lot of these tops over the years, but this one was the Crown Jewel of them all. Glass out to tuck the material in correctly, seams were laid down arrow straight, not a bump, ripple or snag anywhere. It was just beautiful.

Usually when I put these on I shoot contact adhesive from a DeVillbis JGA 502 gun. This time I was at the trim shop to get the adhesive and the counter guy suggested DAP areosol adhesive. Well, I got lazy and figured, alright, that would definately be a lot less hassle not messing with the gun and compressor. About two weeks after finishing the job, the glue started giving up. I was so disgusted with it that I pushed the car outside and threw a tarp over it. That was like five years ago.
                              -dulcich

Comment

Working...
                              X