Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old V8 vs New V6

Howdy,

I'm mildly considering another car for a commuter/econo rod and like the thread I started before I actually think in terms of mpg on this. The car I'm most interested in is a '61-63 Buick Special 4dr because I enjoy a 4dr commuter and they are small, classy, and light cars.
    The stock ones came with a 155hp 215 (3.5L) aluminum V8, the very same that was sold to Rover and used till 2002 in the Range Rover in 3.5, 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, and 4.6L configurations. So its factory low compression, 2bbl carb, small displacement V8, should be good on gas and I'd pilfer Rover EFI hardware and probably run it with either a JY Vortec EFI system or a MS. Also going to have to find a compatable overdrive to put on the back of it. So there is the old V8, will take an EFI system made of JY hardware and some sort of computer system and needing a Rover OD trans.

The other thing I was thinking of is an F-body L36 3800 Series II V6. They make around 200hp, I am already familure with the EFI system which I could grab from the whole thing, has a 4L60E attached probably, but the oil pan and engine mounts would be a bit of a mystery to mount and who knows on the accessory clearance. So there's the new V6.

Which would you choose?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Old V8 vs New V6

I think I'd stick with the old V-8. It's been in use until 2002, so getting parts for it shouldn't be a problem. Or if the old V-8 doesn't have enoug power for you, just pull a bigger one from a Land Rover. You've also identified that getting an EFI system shouldn't be too difficult either. The most important thing in my mind is it already fits the car. You don't have to muck around with trying to find a way to make it fit. All you have to do is bring it to the 21st century (or at least late 20th century) IRT fuel and ignition delivery. Putting a Rover overdrive tranny shouldn't be too difficult. It should bolt right up to the engine. Aside from the electronic aspect of the tranny (I assume it has a lock-up converter), all you would have to worry about is fabbing a cross member and a new drive shaft. Shifting duties could be handled by a Locar shifter if the stock shifting mechanism couldn't be modified. That, and it would just be different. How many people do you know whose taken Land Rover parts to hop up their vintage ride?

Comment

I think that if you are still going to 231 and turbo the riv than you still NEED a v-8 car .

Comment

256 (4.1L 0.030in over) V6 in the Riviera
        I'm not that hung up on the V8 thing. My only V8 daily driver was a basket case so I'm not going to say that I'm missing it. The RWD is the key to making me smile on these. However the 215 does sound like more of an EFI wiring headache (used to that) than a oval peg in a triangular hole of fitting the stuff into the car.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

just did a fuel pump on a 150k mile 2000 firebird 3800 with the 5 speed , those cars move along good . those old skylarks are flimsy , corvair unibody deals , good luck even finding one , the 215 in a range rover was pretty guyless from memory , I only drove them in used range rovers

Comment

I'd stick with the 215 v-8. TBI it to keep it simple unless you really want to Multiport it. An adapter plate of some kind has to be out there to bolt a 200r4 or 700r4 to it. Easy throttle, light weight, overdrive. Mileage should be quite decent. More compression should boost your mileage as well, I think enough to off set the extra cost of the premium fuel.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

1963 doesn't look so out there

Comment

I like the 61 and 62's better personally but I'm not really that picky about it.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Honestly I'd love to swap the whole front subframe and rear axle assembly from the same F-body but thats fitting a closed polygon into a snowman shaped hole.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                    Honestly I'd love to swap the whole front subframe and rear axle assembly from the same F-body but thats fitting a closed polygon into a snowman shaped hole.
                    If I had to venture a guess, it seems like you want us to talk you out of the V-6 swap...because in your heart-of-hearts...that's exactly what you want to do.

Comment

the newer f cars have just a stamped steel engine carrier that bolts to the floor , maybe you can cut the whole floor/space frame out of it like goodmark does

Comment

Like Spidey pointed out, the car is Corvair based and that IFS is pretty primative... However this is where a project, like a UN peacekeeping mission, goes wrong. I'm sure HBS you are familure with mission/capability creep aren't you?
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Like Spidey pointed out, the car is Corvair based and that IFS is pretty primative... However this is where a project, like a UN peacekeeping mission, goes wrong. I'm sure HBS you are familure with mission/capability creep aren't you?
                          Oh yes, and I wasn't demeaning you earlier. It was just a vibe I was getting. With that little bit of info though, would the IFS handle a healthy V-8 without fragging, or would it be more cost effective to do the subframe/axle swap?

Comment

Well Pontiac did use the same basic subframe on its 326 powered cars and some did build 428 drag cars out of the same thing. I think it'd handle 200-250hp just fine if I turned up the wick which is unlikely since I'd probably just switch to a larger stock Rover V8 rather than get serious about it.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Hey guys just to give my two cents be aware that you will need to do some relatively serious mods to the tranny tunnel to put anything other than the og two speed in. I had one of these buicks sit around for about a year and was never able to scrape together the stuff to put a motor and tranny in. Another option might be a 4.3 v6 lots of people told me they would bolt in but don't know the truth of that statement. Good luck that buick grew on me and I was bummed to see it go

Comment

Working...
                              X