BTJ Vs. The 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTJ Vs. The 5th

I just ventured over to the blog page and was enjoying Brian's story on the Caprice. It sounds pretty neat, with all the police equipment and the 350 to boot, but I have no idea how these cars ran. Was that Chevy police package any good? Did the 350 get up and move? How were the brakes on those cars?

I wondered about how it compares with an M-body Mopar. I mean, I have had some seat time in those cop cars, usually by choice, and they seem formidable. Most of my experience with the M body is seat time in my 5th; it's got all the cop pieces on it. Just makes me wonder how it would do against an 9C1 Caprice. Huh, I wonder...
    -dulcich
    Last edited by dulcich; March 15, 2012, 09:06 PM.

With 350, it moved out pretty good. Much faster than the Diplomat with the 318, or the CV with the 302 at the time. I drove an Ex CHP Diplomat as a taxi for a year. It handled pretty good. It seemed pretty light and nimble, but it rode like crap and rattled badly. The 318 4 bbl moved OK, but it wouldn't keep up with anything with some snot under the hood. The box Caprice is pretty much indestructible. Took a hell of a beating and handled well. I believe the Caprice's chassis design was similar to the Colonade Chevelles, but the engine sat high and over the front axle. If they built with the engine low and set back like the Chevelle and Monte Carlo, it would've handled much better.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Your average SUV / "Economy" car today will walk it's dog in stock state. They may have been cool in the mid 80's but 205 hp in roughly 2 tons is not going to be terribly impressive by todays standards. No offense.

Dulcich, if your car can outrun a new Focus, it'll stack up well.
      Last edited by Beagle; March 16, 2012, 04:09 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

the q jets had porous float bowls and wouldn't start in the morning .. the only fix was a new carb .. must have changed 50 of them in 89/90
        of course roscoe couldn't figure out how to start a flooded car

Comment

I got hired as the city was rotating them out .... kept a few as pool cars. They ran pretty decent and IMO, were still better than the scuds (next gen caprice) that replaced them. The only Diplomat (84) I ever drove was my dad's gov't car. It was twice the car that the chev's were ... the fords of that era were the ultimate heaps.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

2004 Lt1 caprice was a great LEO car ..the tahoes are faster than those too
            the Z28s the NYSP ran ..may have been the greatest cop car of all time

Comment

The key was the LT1 .... majority we got were the junk 4.3 (?) ...

Comment

Here is a summery of the Michigan police tests, which are the industries Police real tests, along with the LAPD tests.19861986–1990

In 1986, Michigan State Police tests, the Chevrolet Caprice was competitive with the Ford LTD Crown Victoria, Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Gran Fury. The Caprice had the fastest quarter mile times of the three, and the best fuel economy. The Dodge and Plymouth out ran the Caprice in the 0–100 mph times, while it placed last in the road course times. However, there was only a 1/3 second difference between the fastest and slowest on the road course. All four cars were very close in competition for 1986, and there was little performance difference.
                For 1987, the 9C1 Caprice remained with few changes. The 350-4bbl engine received a boost in compression, roller lifters and new center bolt valve covers. The 180 hp (134 kW) rating of this engine helped set the Caprice's performance above its competition. The 4.3 L engine remained available, but was marketed towards urban police departments with little need for performance.
                Michigan State Police tests had the Chevrolet Caprice beating out its competition from Ford, Dodge and Plymouth in almost every category. The Caprice had the quickest quarter mile times and 0–100 mph times, the highest top speed, the fastest road course time, and the best fuel economy. The Plymouth and Dodge beat out the Chevrolet with shorter braking distances. The 1987 Chevrolet Caprice won the contract for the Michigan State police and would hold this contract until 1996 when the Caprice was discontinued.
                For 1988, the 9C1 Caprice was unchanged. Michigan State Police tests proved to be more competitive, with the Ford LTD Crown Victoria showing a strong improvement in performance. The Plymouth and Dodge models continued unchanged and were not competitive with the Chevrolet and Ford. 1988 tests showed the Caprice with the fastest quarter mile and 0–100 mph times, the best fuel economy, the fastest road course time (although it tied with the Ford) and the best ergonomics. The Ford edged out the Chevrolet with a 1 mph (1.6 km/h) faster top speed, and better brakes, but the Chevrolet scored second place for both those categories. Overall the Chevrolet scored the highest in the competition, followed by the Ford, Dodge and Plymouth.
                For 1989, the 9C1 Caprice saw some major changes to the drivetrain. All engines were now equipped with throttle-body fuel-injection, and the 305 cu in engine was now added to the option list. The available engines were now the 4.3 L V6, the 305 cu in V8 and the 350 cu in V8. The 4.3 L and 350 engines were equipped with TH700-R4 transmissions while the 305 engine used the TH200-4R transmission. The 4.3 L and the 305 used the 3.08:1 axle ratio, while the 350 powered cars now used a 3.42:1 axle ratio.
                The 4.3 L remained at 140 hp (104 kW), while the 305 TBI engine was rated at 170 hp (127 kW), and the 350 TBI engine was rated at 190 hp (142 kW). The 350 powered Caprice did well again at Michigan State Police tests for pursuit rated cars. It had the fastest 0–100 mph, the fastest road course time, the highest top speed and the best fuel economy. The Dodge Diplomat and Ford LTD Crown Victoria outbraked the Caprice, and the Plymouth Fury and Dodge Diplomat had better ergonomics than the Caprice.
                1990 was a carry-over year for the 9C1 Caprice with the only major change being door mounted seat-belts. In Michigan State Police tests, the Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Fury were no longer produced, so the only competition was from the LTD Crown Victoria. The Caprice won all six categories for 1990, having the quickest 0–100 times, the fastest road course times, the best brakes, highest top speed, the best fuel economy and the best interior ergonomics. This was the first time any car had won all six categories in Michigan State Police tests.
                [edit]Refer
                Last edited by ls7gto; March 16, 2012, 06:18 AM.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Wow , was just looking for the actual results for the LAPD results ,with no luck.

With my brother being in Law enforcement I have talked to lots of officers about the cars they drive. To a man they all called the the late 80s coprice the best overall to the later edition of the crown vics. They also said the LT1 jelly been coprice were they fastest until the new mopars, but were not as comfortable as the BOXY coprice. Most of the Older Pa state police said that the proof of GMs stupidity is when the quit making them.
                  As for todays cars, thats oranges to apples, but I sure had a blast driving BTJ for many years . I keep it with plans of everything from big blocks to turbo ls engines and stick boxes , but life got in the way. She was replaced by a turbo t-bird (entire another story ) and now a GT mustang. But when I drive BTJ I still get a smile on my face! Ill Miss my old friend.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    2004 Lt1 caprice was a great LEO car ..the tahoes are faster than those too
                    the Z28s the NYSP ran ..may have been the greatest cop car of all time
                    Fast yes, but very uncomfortable when you are sittng there with all that gear strapped around you.
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

The gear swap to a 3.42s really woke them up, we swapped one into a friends 87 and it made a night and day difference.
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

^^^^ what he said

that's why they make such good part cars for something cool
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          With 350, it moved out pretty good. Much faster than the Diplomat with the 318, or the CV with the 302 at the time. I drove an Ex CHP Diplomat as a taxi for a year. It handled pretty good. It seemed pretty light and nimble, but it rode like crap and rattled badly. The 318 4 bbl moved OK, but it wouldn't keep up with anything with some snot under the hood. The box Caprice is pretty much indestructible. Took a hell of a beating and handled well. I believe the Caprice's chassis design was similar to the Colonade Chevelles, but the engine sat high and over the front axle. If they built with the engine low and set back like the Chevelle and Monte Carlo, it would've handled much better.
                          local with no awd for an entire fleet...
                          the caprice was awesome. I drove a 74 chevelle sedan and had no desire for awd. 200mph capable was more than a feeling, with just the way the steel calmed at the 20 year mark, and it has has not been replaced.
                          to write it down at 3700 pounds...oh no, it was the real thing.

the 250 with a sucking monojet as origin left me not knowing if it was idling, the car was that tough..the 250 was not even in the bay at times....with an automatic and no gauges, it literally got annoying, I could not wait to add the rumble of a 350 or bigger. if I knew then at 21 what I do now.. I may have run the six into the ground with a holley 450, 390 something twice over 210cfm.

I am not done with either of those chassis, looking all the time.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                            Fast yes, but very uncomfortable when you are sittng there with all that gear strapped around you.
                            and spare tire

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                              and spare tire

LOL ... bad cop, no donut!

Comment

Working...
                              X