Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic in a Can.... what do I have to loose

Howdy,

My nailhead is sick, I know the #1 is down on compression and I'm pulling the motor anyway. What is the worst that could happen from dumbing a can of "Restore" or equivilent in the oil and seeing if that lessens the blowby?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Mechanic in a Can.... what do I have to loose

Everyone I know who has used it agrees that it is a chemical way to help ailing cars off the road and into an early grave. They said it seemed to make it worse, and in my own experience with a 400 Pontiac when I was younger, it made no difference at all.

So, the only thing you have to lose is the money you spend on it.

Comment

It didn't help at all the down #8 cylinder in my Dad's '87 Chevy van with a 350, nor did it do anything for my sick 231, but that car didn't have any compression/blow-by issues. I say why not? Especially if the engine is coming out anyways. Do you know why it's down on compression? Rings or valves?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm guessing rings since its pushing oil out the breathers an nowhere else. Its not dripping or puffing smoke even on startup.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I agree - what ya got to lose. I can't imagine it'll chuck a rod thru the block, so why not? My experience is that it does a lot of nothin' but WTH. Yes, I try it, too, from time to time.

Dan

Comment

I'm not into nailheads, but the only one I ever worked on had 3 burned exhaust valves! A can of magic goo wouldn't do much in that case.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

marvel mystery oil rebuild ?

Comment

I've used that kind stuff before, Mechanic in a can, Motor Honey, Stop Leak etc. It seemed to work for a few hundred miles then wore off. I've always thought they invented it so someone could unload their ticking time bomb of a car to some poor sap. ;D
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
                  I've used that kind stuff before, Mechanic in a can, Motor Honey, Stop Leak etc. It seemed to work for a few hundred miles then wore off. I've always thought they invented it so someone could unload their ticking time bomb of a car to some poor sap. ;D
                  I did that right before I traded in a 96 Intrepid one time. The lifters were clattering something fierce even after warm-up. Some 20W-50 motor oil and a can of STP took care of the problem long enough to get a decent amount of cash on trade-in! ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X