• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HillbillySailor
    replied
    Re: Mechanic in a Can.... what do I have to loose

Originally posted by Gary 351C
    I've used that kind stuff before, Mechanic in a can, Motor Honey, Stop Leak etc. It seemed to work for a few hundred miles then wore off. I've always thought they invented it so someone could unload their ticking time bomb of a car to some poor sap. ;D
    I did that right before I traded in a 96 Intrepid one time. The lifters were clattering something fierce even after warm-up. Some 20W-50 motor oil and a can of STP took care of the problem long enough to get a decent amount of cash on trade-in! ;)

Leave a comment:

• Gary 351C
    replied

I've used that kind stuff before, Mechanic in a can, Motor Honey, Stop Leak etc. It seemed to work for a few hundred miles then wore off. I've always thought they invented it so someone could unload their ticking time bomb of a car to some poor sap. ;D

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied

marvel mystery oil rebuild ?

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

I'm not into nailheads, but the only one I ever worked on had 3 burned exhaust valves! A can of magic goo wouldn't do much in that case.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

I agree - what ya got to lose. I can't imagine it'll chuck a rod thru the block, so why not? My experience is that it does a lot of nothin' but WTH. Yes, I try it, too, from time to time.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied

I'm guessing rings since its pushing oil out the breathers an nowhere else. Its not dripping or puffing smoke even on startup.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

It didn't help at all the down #8 cylinder in my Dad's '87 Chevy van with a 350, nor did it do anything for my sick 231, but that car didn't have any compression/blow-by issues. I say why not? Especially if the engine is coming out anyways. Do you know why it's down on compression? Rings or valves?

Leave a comment:

• VTJUNK
    replied

Everyone I know who has used it agrees that it is a chemical way to help ailing cars off the road and into an early grave. They said it seemed to make it worse, and in my own experience with a 400 Pontiac when I was younger, it made no difference at all.

So, the only thing you have to lose is the money you spend on it.

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    started a topic Mechanic in a Can.... what do I have to loose

Mechanic in a Can.... what do I have to loose

Howdy,

My nailhead is sick, I know the #1 is down on compression and I'm pulling the motor anyway. What is the worst that could happen from dumbing a can of "Restore" or equivilent in the oil and seeing if that lessens the blowby?
Working...
X