63 Vette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Vette

Red and I were coming back from South Carolina this morning and passed one of these on I-40 east of Knoxville. The 4-lane part where the sign suggests 65 mph but everybody goes 85.

Here are the facts I gathered in about 10 seconds maximum: It was silver. Dude was driving it I don't know how fast (slow). It had an antique tag on it and the guy had it in the next-to-fastest lane getting his doors blown off on both sides by a conveyor belt of cars going WAY faster.

Dude was white-knuckle squeezing the wheel, staring straight ahead. He looked terrified, really. Coming up on it, I was so fixated with the three tail lights that I failed to even notice the split rear window. I don't know anything about Vettes, but it sure caught my eye.

With the three tail lights, it had to be a 63 didn't it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	abandoned-1963-corvette-stingray.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	878479
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

the infamous 63 split window
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

As I remember, 63's had two lights in the back - but it was popular to add a 3rd on either side, similar to many Chevys of the time.
      Of course, I was a Ford guy back then and might not remember correctly.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

yep , gonna restore it

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
          the infamous 63 split window
          Yeah one year only rear windows.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

i read somewhere that in 1964 a number of 63 split window vette owners cut out the split section and replaced it with 64 glass since there was a major visibility complaint from the owners
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
              i read somewhere that in 1964 a number of 63 split window vette owners cut out the split section and replaced it with 64 glass since there was a major visibility complaint from the owners

Major visibility issues anyways even with the 64 rear window. Blind spots a semi could hide in.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Major visibility issues anyways even with the 64 rear window. Blind spots a semi could hide in.
                The price of having a bitchin car.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                  The price of having a bitchin car.
                  I guess. A guy I used to work with took me for a ride in his Camaro, can't recall what year the car was. The windshield was so big and at such a steep angle....well, being a Ford guy I'd never experienced such. It seemed to me that the view out of the front was distorted by looking out through the glass at such a steep angle.
                  Last edited by pdub; March 25, 2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                    I guess. A guy I used to work with took me for a ride in his Camaro, can't recall what year the car was. The windshield was so big and at such a steep angle....well, being a Ford guy I'd never experienced such. It seemed to me that the view out of the front was distorted by looking out through the glass at such a steep angle.
                    Try driving a Ford Aerostar van or a Mazda MPV. The top of the dash is like four feet long to the base of the windshield.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Try driving a Ford Aerostar van or a Mazda MPV. The top of the dash is like four feet long to the base of the windshield.
                      Or those GM "dustbuster" vans.... if something slides to the front of the dash, it's gone!

Comment

3 taillights were an owner or dealer /custom shop thing, GM didnt do it.
                        Last edited by antmnte; March 25, 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                          3 taillights were an owner or dealer /custom shop thing, GM didnt do it.
                          Since I don't "Get it," why did I see one the road today and found a photo on a search for it so easily? Did it happen a lot? Honestly, I really don't know a thing about Vettes. But it sure caught my eye.
                          Last edited by pdub; March 25, 2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

If you google split window Vettes, you'll see 4 taillights - not 6.

Comment

'63 Vette is one on my bucket list.

Hey Peewee..........I'm not far from ya tonite........staying in Crossville headed to Gatlinburg tomorrow.
                              Saw a drag strip from the interstate.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X