No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what I would do (Although I know that you'll immediately discount it since it's me )

- Do all of the power mods first (Intake, headers, cam, etc) to get baseline numbers with the stock CCC system (If the intake doesn't support the Q-jet bolt pattern, dip into the BS reserves and get an adapter)

- THEN swap the ignition and carb to see if you gain power over the stock system.

The reason for the above: There are plenty of cars out there with the Q-jet, and the first thing that people do is swap them out for non-computer controlled carbs and distributors. Funny enough, I know a good number of G-body Monte guys with 350s, 383s, etc that have kept the CCC system and are making good power with decent economy (20+ on the highway).

Swapping out the carb and distributor will only give you one comparision with the motor otherwise stock, which is kinda lame from an informational standpoint.

If you REALLY want to get crazy, swap the CCC carb/distributor and non-CCC carb and distributor after EACH upgrade. C'mon, I dare ya!
    Last edited by DNut; October 19, 2012, 06:25 AM.
    I take photos.

Comment

• Oh, and borrow someone's jet kit, since you'll probably want to mess around with that as well once all of the other goodies are installed.
      I take photos.

Comment

• Final thought for now (I swear!)

The car's going to run like dog doodoo with the stock carb and only the distributor swapped out, so what's the point of that run?

You'll want to swap out the carb and distributor in a matched set regardless.

Ok, back to my desk job...
        I take photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          for the cost - get a set of cherry bomb type "collector mufflers"

inquiring minds want to know how much they will affect the 1320 time compared to open headers....

and

they'll probably get you home without a noise violation ticket, and with some of your hearing intact.
          x2
          my vote - bolt on cherry bombs
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 19, 2012, 06:52 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by DNut View Post
            Final thought for now (I swear!)

The car's going to run like dog doodoo with the stock carb and only the distributor swapped out, so what's the point of that run?

You'll want to swap out the carb and distributor in a matched set regardless.
            I agree! There are times when a part by part swap out make sense, but not at a track outing on a stock 350 that is already equipped with a four barrel. Because of the extra variables, driver/track prep/weather.....I think it will be pretty hard to judge if the part made the difference, or your driving/weather/track prep improved.

I'd shoot for bigger changes with a group of parts. Grab a handful of runs in "baseline condition", then do "the bolt-on's" distributor/carb, then dist/carb/intake. After that, tackle the headers. (don't forget your red RTV for the gaskets in case you end up only using a majority of bolts) See where you're at time wise and go for the cam! (is it possible to get the springs changed before you go?)

IF you have to move to plan II and go to the dyno where there are more constants, not to mention more time and better tool selection, the piece by piece approach seems more reasonable to me.

Comment

• I have had these flex pipes on the Chevelle for a year,and no problems wit loose header bolts or blown gaskets so far...just sayin..

Big stiff exhaust systems,shouldnt be attached to a rubber mounted engine..gaskets and bolts failure will follow.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Flex Joint Pipes with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Exhaust Flex Pipes at Summit Racing.

Last edited by Blazerteam; October 19, 2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazerteam View Post
                I have had these flex pipes on the Chevelle for a year,and no problems wit loose header bolts or blown gaskets so far...just sayin..

Big stiff exhaust systems,shouldnt be attached to a rubber mounted engine..gaskets and bolts failure will follow.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Flex Joint Pipes with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Exhaust Flex Pipes at Summit Racing.

blah.

patience for the spring mounted bell and ring if it must move...or spit oxides.
                I guess an 8 does neither.
                iron 8cyl is a rock in the mounts anyway...
                although, the ring I use for the flexing is from a 71 corvette...end of oem header flange. bell and ring.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 19, 2012, 06:38 PM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• This oughta end well.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• Fun today! Dave Nutting photo - This fat bastard is ready for the auto-x!
                    Attached Files
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                      Fun today! Dave Nutting photo - This fat bastard is ready for the auto-x!
                      Brian - YOU rULE. That car is looking like it is ready for war and not taking any prisoners!

Comment

• Thanks Steve! Looking at the old photos with the skinny tires, it looks like peg leg!

Comment

• Braub,

Got some questions about the plans and the current performance.

What are you planning on doing for a shifter, keeping it on the collumn?

How's the ride comparison between the beat to crap stockers and the steel upper control arm bushings?

Just took my spare set of UCA's for the Riv apart and found the "bushing" is just a 3/4in threaded end on the cross-shaft threaded into a matching insert on the arms. Pretty much greased steel on steel like yours.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Hey man!

Eventually the car will have some buckets in it. Until then, it is staying on the column. When the buckets go in, I want to start figuring out a stick box for it.

As Nutting can vouch for, the thing rides GREAT. I drove it a couple hundred miles before I got a squeak and blasted some grease into the bushings. It quieted right down. I can honestly say that outside the grease regimen, you'd never know the difference (in my big heavy car) than poly or Delrin, etc. That has been my experience so far.

Comment

• Man, once you get the bolt-on parts on the motor, you won't want to get out of this thing! Even if it ain't super nasty, it will at lest sound the part!

Honestly, I bet being a little underpowered would probably make it a great autocrosser as is. As long as the course is a little bit bigger that the typical Mall Miata courses we get around here....

Oh, looks like you DID spend too much time with Freiburger!
                              On this bonus episode of HOT ROD Unlimited, it's the return of our '66 Buick Special convertible. In episode 5, we showed you how this car had been abandoned...

Comment

• Brian took me for a spin in Buford today...

Yes, it handles.

Yes, it needs buckets.

Yes, my ass slid around, and my face bounced off the passenger window while pulling a 9g turn.

Yes, my face looked like Silly Puddy while stuck to the glass.

Yes, it was fun as heyelllll...
                                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                                X