No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my '70 Camaro RS project, when I was tearing it down for the re-tool of my setup (which will never be completed now), I found that the mechanical secondaries on my carb never opened at all! I left a lot on the table and it kills me I never got a chance to see what it would really run. Got a 12.7 @111mph with a 1.8 60'. On mains only.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

• cool, an update.
      the number 88 should be very nice.
      once you get it to really scream, it may climb leaner than 14:1...
      that is still normal.

it is definitely modern fuel, new jet numbers. I also stayed with an oe type #82. not good enough.

spewing the oil after cam swap. That is you lucky day. let it earn the calm seat.

if it did not spew a strain of oil on new stuff, I'd second guess cam bearings.(I have done this same swap- engine still altogether), yours is being normal.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 18, 2013, 01:36 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
        Wow.... Nice to hear someone tell the truth!!! Man it sucks to do all that work and not be rewarded!!!
        BUT! I bet that happens to be more the norm than you think! (at least that is the norm for ME!)
        Now that the bolting-on part is done, the REAL gear-head work begins!
        Anyone can bolt stuff together, making it work takes thought and dedication. I can think of five different combo's that guys I know put together, but never bothered to really tune them and I think left a bunch on the table.
        Hell I've done that on three different builds before I had access to tons of information on tuning.

It will be interesing to hear what the autopsy of the original carb shows....SOMETHING must be going on there?
        14:1 A/F ratio....yikes! That's pretty lean to be making power pulls on?
        Did you only fatten up the jets in the secondaries and left the primaries alone?

I totally agree with walking away from a car that has burned you if you have the time! I've come up with way better solutions after some time away to think about it.

Can't wait to see what it does when you get it sorted out, spring is coming!
        Hey Andy, yeah this was a pisser.

It was one thing when the car was a total pooch on the dyno but what shoved me into complete depression was seeing all the oil under the hood. Knowing that I was going to have to do the pan gasket sucked. One of those jobs that doesn't seem appealing ever, especially when it is like 10 degrees outside. After letting it stew for a couple weeks, the gasket swap got done and I'm back out of car hatred mode. I am now inspector Clouseau mode. LOL

What's keeping the secondaries from opening? Can't say for sure. I have not jammed a screw in there to manually force them open as of yet. I can tweak them by hand so they don't seem to be physically hitting anything. The carb has the lightest spring available in it. I have not taken the check ball out. Between the check ball and/or a bolt/screw in the linkage, I'll dink around with it some this week and see what's what.

I am more pissed at myself not figuring out by looking at the air fuel ratio after the jet change in the secondaries that something was wildly amiss and stopping to work through it. Wrong mentality, I guess. Show up with a plan and wanting to leave with the plan done isn't the best way in these scenarios. I should have listened to what the car was trying to tell me and gone that route. Hey, the thing make pretty good torque for a 2bbl though with almost 300 lb/ft at the tire so far. LOL.

I've got to get the exhaust situation fixed stat because it is just way too freaking loud and I am officially drawing the ire of the neighbors. I've got the setup, just need to get the car on a lift and do 'er. Hoping to make that happen this week and then back to the rollers to wake this thing all the way up.

On the positive side, I had absolutely no hesitation telling everyone what happened, the obvious gaffes we made, and looking like a rube. I sleep a lot better with no skeletons hiding in the closet.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Been down this road........a real pisser.
          You'll get it figured out.

Oh.....try adding a K&N decal.........that should be worth 10 hp
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Brian, I had a similar problem several years ago with a 3310 Holley. Somehow or another, I forgot to install the check ball in the vacuum secondary pod. It could be something that simple, bud.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Did you check to make sure the primaries are opening all the way? There is a little piece of linkage that keeps the secondaries closed until the primaries are open enough, and it would be good to check that thing to make sure it isn't stuck. Easy to miss in the thrash.

Seeing as how Brian is in Mass, I believe the correct terminology is wicked pisser.

Comment

• Wicked pissa indeed!

I would prefer to see the current carb repaired instead of the 750 double pumper set in place.

It's a spread bore intake for the quadrajet replacement carb - yes?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• The intake will accept both spread and square bore.

There will be a full investigation before I plop on something else, fear not!

Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                    The intake will accept both spread and square bore.

There will be a full investigation before I plop on something else, fear not!

Brian
                    Less talky, more worky....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Today I did not go after the carb, but I did wire in the two step and pull copious hole shots in my driveway until one of my elderly neighbors stood in the snow in the middle of her yard and stared me down. I apologized and told her it was my birthday so this was all cool. HA!

Comment

• Great way to celebrate the day! Happy Bday Brian.

The failed secondary mystery: Stay Tuned next week on the same BangShift channel, same BangShift time!
                        www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                        Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Today I did not go after the carb, but I did wire in the two step and pull copious hole shots in my driveway until one of my elderly neighbors stood in the snow in the middle of her yard and stared me down. I apologized and told her it was my birthday so this was all cool. HA!
                          hehehehe.... Awesome!! Some older folks seem grumpy, but giving them a hand now and then plus a little some quality time shooting the breeze and they generally will let you get away with murder!!

I can only imagine the racket of the purple hornies shooting ducks off the limiter!! Must have sounded like a small gang war in your driveway!

Probably best you didn't fix the carb.... If all four barrels opened you might have launched the damn thing into a snow pile!

Comment

I apologized and told her it was my birthday so this was all cool. HA!
                            How many days in a row can you get away with that excuse before they catch on?
                            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

• I look at life a lot like a poker game. I change that lady's oil for free, so I had some chips to spend from my stack.

Comment

• Can we have two step video please? I love two step. Its like dubstep (can't believe I used that in a sentence) for car guys.
                                Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                                X