No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another decent ride today has exposed some stuff I need to fix.

When heading down the road, the thing runs at a rock solid 180-190 degrees. When I come to a stop at a light or whatnot, the temp climbs pretty quickly. I never sat long enough to see more than 210 but it was showing no signs of stopping when traffic got rolling again and temps dropped. I think the fan clutch is shot. I disregarded a squeaking noise that the car was making a little while back and something tells me that was the bearings in the fan telling me that they were dying. That's a simple deal and I hope it solves the issue. (No signs of head gasket trouble).

Have an oil leak at the base of the dipstick where it slides into the block There was some silicone goobered onto it at one point in its life and I have had it in and out multiple times doing the headers and all, so I will clean and re-goober.

Lastly, there is a trans fluid leak (not major) from the speedo housing. I think I need to replace the seal where the cable screws in and seats.

Been months since the thing has been on drives of any significance because of the header mufflers being so damned loud so all the little stuff is poking its head out now. Now I need to get my yard work done tomorrow so I can have some time on Sunday!

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; April 5, 2013, 06:06 PM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Sounds like you're making progress.....you running a shroud?
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post
        Sounds like you're making progress.....you running a shroud?
        that, and the big cam will be a choppy vacuum. lean idle.

I just broke exhaust again as well..1987 is still kicking. Welding tomorrow...and that car sounds great.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Yeah, have the factory shroud. What's funny is that since I have never had a functional temp gauge in the car until very recently, this could have been going on for a long ass time. LOL

The idle vacuum is right at about 10-inches on the gauge and it wavers a little but not wildly. Thanks on the sound!

Comment

• Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            that, and the big cam will be a choppy vacuum. lean idle.

I just broke exhaust again as well..1987 is still kicking. Welding tomorrow...and that car sounds great.
            Good point on the tune potentially being a source of extra heat. lol, at possibly have been that way for a long time, also very possible, lol.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Yeah, have the factory shroud. What's funny is that since I have never had a functional temp gauge in the car until very recently, this could have been going on for a long ass time. LOL

The idle vacuum is right at about 10-inches on the gauge and it wavers a little but not wildly. Thanks on the sound!
              I had a small block Chevy that was doing this way back. After beating my head a couple times I finally pulled the back cover off the water pump and I'll be darned if all the impeller blades weren't rotted off. One of those freak things you never think about.

Comment

• On the engine in the yellow van that is donating its guts for the TR7, I have to change water pumps twice in 140,000 miles, due to leaks.

Each time the remanufactured units gave me trouble, just like you are experiencing. Now I had a guage on it since the whole thing was "new", so I knew what was normal and not, at least for it.

Took the pump back, got a replacement, did same thing, got another replacement, did same thing, 3rd replacement did the trick. Parts store guys said there was nothing wrong with the others, and I could see no visual differences either, but the facts are the facts.

Next time the pump wore out, believe it or not, the same thing happened. This time around, we matched casting numbers and found a good replacement on the 2nd replacement. Weird.

All I can guess is that the impeller was placed incorrectly on the shaft? Too far in or out would hinder flow?
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• water pumps are a simple centrifugal pump... impeller clearance makes a big difference,,, have heard that the flow cooler pumps with a closed impeller flows about 30% better...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Went out and checked the fan this morning. It was cold out so at first it was acting like it was supposed to, but after I spun it a time or two, it started to pinwheel with zero drag on it. Clutch is shot. Also I can wiggle it front to back a little, which is another indication that it is junk, right?

Comment

• Front to back wiggle is bad. Wouldn't want it coming loose and tearing through the radiator.

Like the others have said, impeller clearance is pretty important. The kick in the rear for me to purchase a $$$$$ new TA timing cover on the Buick was the area behind the water pump was so pitted and corroded that under 1,500rpm the car would get hot, above that and it was good. Changed the timing cover and it now maintains temperature no matter what.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Yep-it's done. Like Randal said, swap it out before it pitches itself through the radiator. Fan clutches are a funny thing. I've had them fail both ways-wouldn't spin the fan, and locked solid so they spun it all the time.

I had a bad one on my BB Biscayne that had a big imbalance when i first put it together. First time I really revved the motor up it snapped the snout off the aluminum water pump and destroyed the radiator, shroud, pump pulley, and crank pulley. Didn't know what the problem was yet so I put it all back together with the same clutch again because it wasn't damaged. First time it revved it up again, it did the same thing, and destroyed the same parts AGAIN. Put it back together with a spacer and a flex fan. Ignorance can be expensive.

Comment

• Yeah, shredding the radiator would BLOW! Doing it twice would result in the death of the car because I would burn it. HA!

No Buford action today other than the fan check. I spent time with another old friend that was sleeping all winter...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Did you get Buford straight enough to dyno? The weather is getting better all the time... You'll be killin cones before you know

Nice to see the BIG B getting some love!! Can't wait for the day you load Bufords engine into him! Nothing makes a day better than a big truck, vent window and sweet V8 exhaust note!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                              Yep-it's done. Like Randal said, swap it out before it pitches itself through the radiator. Fan clutches are a funny thing. I've had them fail both ways-wouldn't spin the fan, and locked solid so they spun it all the time.

I had a bad one on my BB Biscayne that had a big imbalance when i first put it together. First time I really revved the motor up it snapped the snout off the aluminum water pump and destroyed the radiator, shroud, pump pulley, and crank pulley. Didn't know what the problem was yet so I put it all back together with the same clutch again because it wasn't damaged. First time it revved it up again, it did the same thing, and destroyed the same parts AGAIN. Put it back together with a spacer and a flex fan. Ignorance can be expensive.
                              Yes. I had one where they pressed the outer hub on cock-eyed and when I spun it up the fan when through the hood. Autozone bought me all kinds of new parts for that one.

Comment

• Ok, so dyno is tomorrow AM. The electronics took a dump on Travis's dyno early in the week and they are all fixed up now.

I replaced the fan clutch on Sunday and that cured any issues with the cooling system. I drove the car around a bunch this week, chasing the last couple of annoying small leaks I had. Little drip from dipstick base fixed and the trans was leaking from the speedo cable because the speedo housing I stuck into the new transmission didn't have the little seal in it. Local trans guy gave me one for nothing because "I was one of the few people left with brains enough to figure something out." -- I think he was having a bad day.

So, I'll be heading down to Travis's tomorrow at about 8:30 AM. What's changed from last time? The carb is a mechanical secondary 650 double pumper that has all four bbls open and ready for service when the pedal is buried. I have recurved the distributor and changed the advance bushing allowing for more total timing, and the car now has the exhaust system on it and the new Dynotech aluminum sewer pipe driveshaft. Going to mess with timing and jetting to see what we can get tomorrow. If this all goes well, I will take it to the drags on Sunday.

I can tell you that the car has LOTS more stones than it did last time. How much? We'll find out. I do know that if I romp it from a standing start it'll light the 275s up instantly and at full throttle it'll break the tires loose when it hits second gear.

It was a sad ham like 210hp last time. I KNOW it is better than that now.
                                Last edited by Brian Lohnes; April 11, 2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X