No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL -- Not yet. I am sending emails and junk to everyone I know and it seems like most opinions are coming back the same. I guess I will do some shopping. Anyone have a favorite or one to avoid? I guess Carter makes an 80 GPH unit.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• I have one of these on the father in-laws 460. Seems to do the job.

Free Shipping - Summit Racing™ Mechanical Fuel Pumps with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Fuel Pumps at Summit Racing.

Comment

• That looks good Andy. I am going to see what they have on the shelf at the store this evening.

Comment

• Got any buds with a WB you can borrow for street pulls?
          Or hell got a couple buddys that would split the cost? I bought my cheap Innovate WB last summer for 300 bucks.

Would suck to go back to the dyno after a fuel pump replacement and see the same thing.....

Comment

• It sucked worse to swap a cam at the dyno only to see the same thing.

I agree, though. Timeline is short. Hoping to go back Monday/Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
              Unreal. Just got home. 10 pulls and I am still in the dark. We're open to all suggestions now.

Here's the situation:

10-degrees of initial timing. 28 degree bushing in Pro Billet distributor. No vacuum advance
              Holley 650 mechanical secondary carb - double pumper
              mechanical fuel pump

We cannot get the AFRs down below 14:1 which is super lean. I went up three jet sizes in the front and a bunch in the back...all the way to a pretty huge (for this engine) 91 just to see what would happen. Answer: not much. Picked up 6hp but AFRs were still stupid lean. We even tried sticking the fuel inlet line into a jug of gasoline for one of the pulls to see if we were getting starvation from the fuel system in the car (clogged filter, etc).

It makes nice clean pulls, no big spikes or misses, or anything like that. It just doesn't seem to be getting the fuel.

Like I said, I am open to all ideas. We picked up 10hp over the last time, but we're still very short on what the engine should be making.

I guess my butt dyno was feeling the effects of the re-curved distributor more than anything. The car pulls like a bear off of idle but just doesn't have the suds where it should. Peak HP is happening at 45-4800 RPM.
              Your carb is to small, you should be running at least a 750...... This is most likely the cause of your lean condition....

Also I thought you said you did a cam swap, did you degree the cam in??

Also what kind of heads??, do you know the valve sizes....
              Last edited by TC; April 12, 2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Used to take my daughter's 460 powered 84 T-Bird to the drags. With a new, but stock pump, it would fall on it's face at the top of second gear. New Edelbrock pump solved that. That was even using the factory fuel lines. Tank had to be replaced, so no electric fuel pump.

Comment

• Originally posted by phitter67 View Post
                  Used to take my daughter's 460 powered 84 T-Bird to the drags. With a new, but stock pump, it would fall on it's face at the top of second gear. New Edelbrock pump solved that. That was even using the factory fuel lines. Tank had to be replaced, so no electric fuel pump.
                  I would tend to agree, but he said his AFR's kept constant, if he would be running out of fuel the AFR's would change.......

Comment

• Having never run a car on a dyno, was wondering if it was at full throttle long enough to suck the carb dry with a weak fuel pump.

Comment

• One thing I remembered. The last couple pulls we made, I had pulled the metering blocks, cleaned them and reinstalled. I went up three sizes in the front just to see what would happen. On those pulls the car was legitimately running out of fuel at 5-grand. If you look at the graph a couple pages back, there are some maniac spikes. I think you guys may be onto it with the fuel pump.

PH -- I think so. I didn't run a stop watch on the length of the pull but it is probably 15+ seconds at full tilt.
                      Last edited by Brian Lohnes; April 12, 2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Brian was doing a quick review of your build, you do know those black lifters are the Short Travel Lifters, not the regular Comp Magnum lifters as you stated... How much preload did you put on them??

Also realize the heads are rated at a factory service of 285HP, even with the work you did to them your not going to get much more out of them... Basically what it looked like is you did bowl work and a valve job but you didn't port the runners bigger, which is probably your limiting factor......

By the way what cam did you put in it, I couldn't find that......

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                          Unreal. Just got home. 10 pulls and I am still in the dark. We're open to all suggestions now.

Here's the situation:

10-degrees of initial timing. 28 degree bushing in Pro Billet distributor. No vacuum advance
                          Holley 650 mechanical secondary carb - double pumper
                          mechanical fuel pump

We cannot get the AFRs down below 14:1 which is super lean. I went up three jet sizes in the front and a bunch in the back...all the way to a pretty huge (for this engine) 91 just to see what would happen. Answer: not much. Picked up 6hp but AFRs were still stupid lean. We even tried sticking the fuel inlet line into a jug of gasoline for one of the pulls to see if we were getting starvation from the fuel system in the car (clogged filter, etc).

It makes nice clean pulls, no big spikes or misses, or anything like that. It just doesn't seem to be getting the fuel.

Like I said, I am open to all ideas. We picked up 10hp over the last time, but we're still very short on what the engine should be making.

I guess my butt dyno was feeling the effects of the re-curved distributor more than anything. The car pulls like a bear off of idle but just doesn't have the suds where it should. Peak HP is happening at 45-4800 RPM.
                          Why only 28*? Though that has nothing to do with lean out. Should be above 32* with the low compression.

I'm thinking it's running low on fuel. Does the gas tank give a nice Whoosh! when you take the cap off? It shouldn't. Something in the carbon canister might be clogged.

Crazy idea. Is the fuel line clogged. I couldn't figure out why my recent 800 dp's secondaries had no fuel. The fuel log was clogged with rat turds. Check the hard line, rubber lines, and the hard line to tank. Also, the rubber hose between tank and hard lines can split, inhaling air. Is there a filter between pump and carb?

Lastly, try a different fuel pump. Even a stock cheapy one. Or, an electric.

What a damn minute. I thought everyone said you can't make any hp by just recurving the dist!! Heresy!!
                          Last edited by Scott Liggett; April 12, 2013, 05:24 PM.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Why only 28*? Though that has nothing to do with lean out. Should be above 32* with the low compression.
                            Scott he had 10 degree initial, and 28 degrees advance, meaning he has 38 degrees total...... it doesn't seem out of line....

Comment

• Originally posted by TC View Post
                              By the way what cam did you put in it, I couldn't find that......
                              He's running a COMP XR276HR-10 cam. 276/282 Duration (224/230), .502/510 lift, 110 LSA, 106 degrees intake centerline
                              Last edited by andy30thz; April 12, 2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Scott's comment made me think of something-the sock in the tank. If that car has a billion miles on it the sock is probably full of junk. The easy fix is to take the inlet hose off the pump and put your air nozzle in it and give it a little blast of air to blow the sock off the pickup tube. Put a filter on the inlet hose to the pump-bigger the better.

If there was something funky going on with the evap stuff, you could try making a pull with gas cap off.

I would put a vacuum gauge on it during a pull too to try and get an idea if the carb needs to be bigger.

I could see the timing thing go either way, but I would try a lot more initial in it with a shorter curve. Have you run a cranking compression test on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X