Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    The 5.3 turbo thing would be cool but I am going semi-neanderthal man BBC. The semi part comes from the fact that it will have EFI on it.

Trying to find a rebuildable used short block now.
    Hmmmm... I'm a little confused? I thought this was to be a autocross/open track/drag car?
    Won't stuffing in an iron BBC ruin two out of the three events? Not to mention increase the motor cost X2? Does it make sense to build a pricy motor for a beat, but cool, 9C1? (budget theme, except motor?) Why use 17's, instead of 15's, with all that weight out front?
    It might be just me...but I'd rather see a budget small block built stressing the important details most people forget (compression/cam/quench/ported heads) that will plug and play right now with what you've got.
    Hell an in-car build with the 350 it has would be cool! (Dirt cheap cam, home ported heads, GM rubber coated shim head gaskets, recurved dist, swap meet carb/intake) A tiny 204/214 torque cam with decent compression and the details will haul more butt than you think! Will it be super-sweet-drop-you-in-your-tracks-at-the-carshow cool? No, but it would be way useable in all areas.

Then again...forget everything I just said if you're getting outside help....but as busy as you are, just trying to sort out a SBC to BBC conversion might take more time/money than you think. Unless you're like Squirrel and have everything on hand for such a swap!

I guess the other issue is copy. Or at least eyeballs on computer screens. If the BBC is more to keep the readers interested in "Brian's BBC 9C1" because a SBC is too boring, I'm all for it! A man has got to make a living, and I totally understand that!
    Last edited by andy30thz; March 29, 2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      Here is your big block Brian, fly out, drive home....pull the 454, install the small block and you just made your money back...

Please do this. I'll split costs with you if I get the leftover truck.
      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Andy I agree completely - but - these dudes generally have some pretty meniacle plans they don't tell us about.... and there is room in that big engine compartment for a bbc.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm all for great plans.... But life tends to get in the way if you think too big.
          This project just has so much goodness built in!! I don't want to see it get stalled on big ideas!
          Last edited by andy30thz; March 29, 2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Trust me on the stalling part. That is not an option.

An aluminum headed BBC isn't going to be that much worse with respect to weight than an iron small block that was going to be in there. I think with the good suspension under it it will still turn hard enough to be super entertaining and with respect to the 17s, I dig the look and I think the car will use all of the tire with the mentioned upgraded suspension.

I have a 350 that I bought all torn apart, so I can scheme up a new plan for that one.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Awesome!! Can't wait to see more!

Comment

Trust me on the stalling part. That is not an option.

An aluminum headed BBC isn't going to be that much worse with respect to weight than an iron small block that was going to be in there. I think with the good suspension under it it will still turn hard enough to be super entertaining and with respect to the 17s, I dig the look and I think the car will use all of the tire with the mentioned upgraded suspension.

I have a 350 that I bought all torn apart, so I can scheme up a new plan for that one.
                the skeptic in me reminds the readers of another "failure is not an option" tag line

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Long story short, we have some help coming on this one from a few of our fine sponsors, so failing really is not an option. Equating this to the Stude wagon is roughly the same as equating a rehab of the floating Queen Mary cruise ship to the raising of the Titanic.

Oh and you are completely ignoring my glorious driveway 292 rehab and all the other fine work done to get Goliath up and rolling again!
                  Last edited by Brian Lohnes; March 29, 2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I had a feeling something was brewing...

I blame myself Bruab, for the recent outcry of "you never finish your shit"...
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      I had a feeling something was brewing...

I blame myself Bruab, for the recent outcry of "you never finish your shit"...
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

What did become of the wagon? I missed that somewhere.... I'm pretty sure the AMC was sold to a dirt racer, right, but what of the wagon?
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

not all wagons go to the wrecking yard to die
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I still own the wagon. It is being kept at the drag strip in NH for me.

Comment

Going bbc require headers and a better trans...the 700 trans doesnt like torquey engines,but that depends on how much abuse there will be..and it WILL get front heavier..aluminium heads or not..i have a Chevelle standing outside here that proves it.That said...GO FOR IT!!.Its BigBlock or no block.

Comment

I still own the wagon. It is being kept at the drag strip in NH for me.
                                Stay tuned because by the time my 2 year old son is having kids of his own, this thing may be road worthy.

There is still hope!
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X