No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIES!!! ALL LIES.. Just like locking out the DW 2013 Mudstain!!

Lmao. Bruab, you're killing me. I checked the front page many times today. Spill it, or I'm going to PHR and calling Hunkins a Chevy Pimp who caters to Speedy, and that you sent me!
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Kids came home from DC last night so I had to finish the story this morning.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• I didn't see that coming! WOW .... and it seems consistent.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• Nice job guys. Nitrous... Nitrous... Nitrous... Hydrazine?

The weight was about what I expected. They weren't all "frilly safe"... Big, yes.. all that heavy? No.

Put a 75 shot on it, pull 4*, install a driveshaft loop, and use slicks. That'd be my next step. Especially since I've never tuned for nitrous, and it's your car! Haha.

Seriously though, how about a Performer and a 650 with some long tube headers? They give away SBC Performers in Count Chocula, right?

The 8.5 should be okay for a while, maybe not so much with a mild BBC? How about a 262 or 268 Comp Cam, and some decent RHS replacement heads maybe? Any more, they look like the better route than f*ing around with used Vortecs for a low buck deal.

How much oil does it use? Any? 190k ain't that much any more, but 1987 was not a really good vintage either. Maybe a cheapo rebuild while you're getting the BBC together

dingle ball hone
          rings, flat tops, deck it flat
          RHS heads something 180ish intake port, 72cc on a 6cc valve relief / flat top or 64's on the stockers? Should be about 9.25:1 with no deck on the 72's, might run okay on regular!
          262 Comp cam (Hey, is that a roller in there?) is under .500 lift, should make great torque for big boy Buford..
          long tubes, 3.42's (3.08 - I think that's a 3 series carrier?)
          Performer or if you can get one, an air gap
          650 DP or 750 Vacuum secondary

That'd be about as cheap as you can build one, and probably pretty hard on the TH700. 350 hp, 400 tq would be my guestimate. Family truckster grocery getter with attitude when you stomp on it?

/edit - damn shame you can't go .080 or .110 over on a 350. Those sexy AMC slugs... ooooh.

/edit two - I think I have some 350 pistons for a 6.0 inch rod, KB Claimers. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure they are these:

5cc , 9.35:1 on zero deck with 72cc heads, 10.2:1 with 64's .041 thick 4.1 diameter gasket
          Last edited by Beagle; May 1, 2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            a fifteen something. We shoulda put the poll on here.
            That's a helluva lot closer than my first guess, but after last weekend, and feeling the earth stop rotating there for a minute, I was sure it was YOU!

Congrats, I think it may be faster than my Lightning. grin.

Comment

• My understanding is that these 1987 roller engines are prone to cracking in the lifter valley, which was corrected in later castings, but I don't know for sure. I have no desire to pull this small block apart. I think it would be more fun to snarf it with some nitrous and do some little bolt on stuff to see what happens. Suspension construction commences in a couple weeks and hopefully the rat will fall into it soon thereafter.

Oh, and the trans is going to be the thing that dies first on this car. It is getting a little lazy already.

The 10 bolt is doomed once a 550hp bbc lives up front.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Is Beags serious?....a 75 shot. I say start w/a 175 and jet up from there!!!. Bet it'll take 225 plus before stuff hits the ground ....
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

• A great day at the strip for sure.

I'm really interested to see what timing would do - running pump gas premium only - what's the compression on this thing?

I'm still not 100% on board for the BBC as I thought you intended to put mucho highway miles on this thing - but I'm conservative like that.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I took the kit off of my car and it's sitting in a box it has a holley plate though, and I'm going to be on the look out for a old set of 9" slicks. Take some weight out, and see if you can get a 13 out of it.
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

• Nice! I agree with some of the Blog comments about these being some of the best types of blogs. Sooo real world to most of us. I look forward to the next outings.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Nice job....consistent too.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Awesome!! A entire fun day where you went consistently quicker without spending any money! How can it get better than that!!
                          How many guys do you know that spent money and then went slower.....

It would be cool to see what some simple bolt ons would do....but honestly I think it'd be a waste of time. IMO the combo as it sits is probably as good as it can get. I can't see much improvement, other than nitrous, without changing the cam.

It would have been interesting to see where the timing is and what changes that could make. Although this is a computer controlled HEI so other than increasing the base timing to achieve more total, I don't think you can alter how/when it comes in.

The only thing I was going to call bullshit on is your traction problems!!! I've been in A TON of underpowered 80's GM cars and NEVER had traction problems like you described. And your car even has a posi!!!
                          Shit, we were lucky if we could get our old one wheel peel 80's Monte Carlo's/El Camino's/Malibu's to do a good brake-stand!!
                          But after you talked about the cool temps, good air and crap tires...it sounds more reasonable..... (3.08 gears with deep 700r4 first gear helps too)

Must have been one hell of a fun day!! And I TOTALLY approve of the 350 going into Brutus when the time comes.
                          Did you mailorder your wife with the "Car Guy Compassion" option? I'm sure mine would be questioning my sanity about now....
                          Last edited by andy30thz; May 1, 2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• I've seen a few blocks like yours brian at our shop, and seen a lot of cracks in the lifter valley. I think it is a common problem with that year 350's.
                            Originally posted by TC

Comment

• Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                              I've seen a few blocks like yours brian at our shop, and seen a lot of cracks in the lifter valley. I think it is a common problem with that year 350's.
                              cop cars don't play that game.

that was awesome run...the tranny must be doing something not so right.
                              although, at 186k miles..the compression could be that low.
                              ... and still kicking consistently. that was awesome to read about.

the v8 and the 80s is fun as heck. one day it can be bordering race car...no internal hacking. I left off really wanting a cop car chassis (even the fords crown vic). my only real problem was chassis back when I played with this stuff. the cars were just turning ten years old and being sold for 1500 for a nice one to drive home. I could have gathered enough to get towns trying to tax a junk yard.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• It probably runs fine, the owners of those blocks didn't think they were cracked, it was only after you take the intake off and look for it.
                                Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                                X