No announcement yet.

Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice drag report! I would like to see a follow-up with some low-buck bolt ons to the stock 350. Headers, remove emissions stuff, AirGap Q-jet intake, cam. Maybe heads after that. I think you should keep the A/C system; to me it seems like a mistake to junk it to save a few pounds. I would much rather you keep a small block instead of putting in a big block.
    -dulcich

Comment

• you ran about as fast as my traction impared Mustang runs here at 3K feet....looks like you had a good time, as it should be.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by dulcich View Post
        Nice drag report! I would like to see a follow-up with some low-buck bolt ons to the stock 350. Headers, remove emissions stuff, AirGap Q-jet intake, cam. Maybe heads after that. I think you should keep the A/C system; to me it seems like a mistake to junk it to save a few pounds. I would much rather you keep a small block instead of putting in a big block.
        -dulcich
        x2, though I'd probably stop before heads and I would still go big block.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I'd just leave the 350 and spray it until it decides it's had enough, then put an LS1 in it.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

• Dulcich, I am thinking about doing just that. It would be hella cool to go back, run the thing with some DOTs or actual slicks as it sits to really see what it would do being able to launch it while up on the converter and then in the pits swap the intake/carb/headers and run it again the same day. Even if I grenade this engine, I have a 1972 vintage 350 I bought before getting seduced by the Rat for this car. So Brutus will get a transplant either way.

I do think that the trans will die first. It was really not happy making that WOT shift into OD.

Hmmm....I know I'd read that story. To the bat cave!

**Now thinking about how many exhaust manifold bolts would snap off during this adventure.
            Last edited by Brian Lohnes; May 1, 2012, 09:53 AM.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
              I've seen a few blocks like yours brian at our shop, and seen a lot of cracks in the lifter valley. I think it is a common problem with that year 350's.
              Just patch it with JBWeld and sheet metal (a la squirrel) and keep driving it until it milks the oil!!!!!
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Oops I forgot to hit quote, brians idea sounds like a lot of work.
                I wouldn't have anyproblems with that block, I'd just use it up and get something better.
                Last edited by A/Fuel; May 1, 2012, 09:56 AM.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

• Scott, you are thinking in a way that makes sense. I am thinking in a way that it will make for a good read!

I like to suffer for my art (evidence of that is hanging out with Dave Nutting....wait, can he read this?)

Brian

Comment

• Why is it shifting into overdrive at less than 90mph and 3.08 gears? You might be able to knock a ton more time off simply by manually shifting it with a tach. Especially if it's shifting at 4,000rpm.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 1, 2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post

The 10 bolt is doomed once a 550hp bbc lives up front.
                      Wanna bet?..We need a poll..

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        Why is it shifting into overdrive at less than 90mph and 3.08 gears? You might be able to knock a ton more time off simply by manually shifting it with a tach. Especially if it's shifting at 4,000rpm.
                        When the monsoon stops outside I am going to check the gear ratio. I am assuming that it is a 3.08. It would be interesting to find out if it is something different. I do need to put a tach in it just to see where it is shifting at.

Comment

• Also..is there proof that there is a 3.08 gear,and not 3,42?..

Anyway,i guessed 16,00 and 83mph..i had faith

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazerteam View Post
                            Wanna bet?..We need a poll..
                            I agree. Statements like that scare me with my 3,800lb tank AND a manual transmission getting pushed through the 8.5".

Comment

• Originally posted by Blazerteam View Post
                              Also..is there proof that there is a 3.08 gear,and not 3,42?..

Anyway,i guessed 16,00 and 83mph..i had faith
                              I am wondering that Arlid. The better ratio would explain some of the performance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post

I like to suffer for my art (evidence of that is hanging out with Dave Nutting....wait, can he read this?)
                                Funny, I was thinking the same thing...

Remember, that sway bar isn't going to remove itself!
                                Last edited by DNut; May 1, 2012, 10:15 AM.
                                I take photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X