Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC...you bet.

When Travis got out of the car and figured out all of his limbs were attached he said, "That thing was on a RUN!"

We were all laughing so hard we could barely breathe.
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; May 8, 2012, 08:31 AM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• I'm very glad that the driveshaft decided to fail on the dyno - not on the drag strip!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Me too, because the drag strip doesn't have tow truck service. HA!

In all honesty, that would have been ugly to have the driveshaft come out at 85mph. I was going to head up there again this weekend with some DOT style drag race tires on it. Probably would have died then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          ...Put a 75 shot on it, pull 4*, install a driveshaft loop, and use slicks.
          one week ago today.

damn glad it didn't pogo stick it at the track. Might have saved the trans though. And here we were worried about the block being cracked in the intake valley.
          Last edited by Beagle; May 8, 2012, 08:50 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Do you have another transmission?

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Looks to me that age and RPM are the issue here!

Well that sucks it hurt the trans.... I was hoping for a return trip to the strip with sticky tires and other tuning tricks!
              Interesting its making more than advertised power?
              Although....the later LO5 TBI motors were supposed to have better cams (L98 cam), better compression and bigger injectors. Are you sure this car hasn't had a service replacement with the TBI upgrades?

There have been a few late model V6 Mustangs where the driveshafts are also exiting!
              Everything is fine until the 113 MPH limiter is removed...then the D shaft comes apart at speed!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by andy30thz; May 8, 2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• There will be a new transmission going in behind the BBC. If it wasn't raining, I would be stripping the motor to get it ready for removal, but it is. Once the motor comes out and the trans comes out, I'll work on the junk that really needs fixing like the rust in the wheel well, probably replace the inner front fenders, clean up the engine bay, weld up the gash in the floor, etc.

Comment

• When you get that tractor, you are going to need a storage barn. They do great for things like working on cars in the rain. Cough. Cough. Grin.

How's the BBC coming along? Do you have an update for us there? Sorry about the runner going to full on project.
                  Last edited by Beagle; May 8, 2012, 09:34 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
                    Looks to me that age and RPM are the issue here!

Well that sucks it hurt the trans.... I was hoping for a return trip to the strip with sticky tires and other tuning tricks!
                    Interesting its making more than advertised power?
                    Although....the later LO5 TBI motors were supposed to have better cams (L98 cam), better compression and bigger injectors. Are you sure this car hasn't had a service replacement with the TBI upgrades?

There have been a few late model V6 Mustangs where the driveshafts are also exiting!
                    Everything is fine until the 113 MPH limiter is removed...then the D shaft comes apart at speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBj...eature=related

Ford Tough, set the limiters just a hair under failure point. Perfect Brings new meaning to run it 'til it breaks, then back off a hair.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	T5_new_3.2.06_220x155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	861865
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        Ford Tough, set the limiters just a hair under failure point. Perfect Brings new meaning to run it 'til it breaks, then back off a hair.
                        Yep...here is a third video of one...and there are a few more who didn't happen to have a camera on at the time.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My concern is my wife wants to drag race her 2011 V6 Mustang this summer. Her speeds will be way under the limiter so it should be fine....but it makes you think about safety. New aftermarket shaft is around $700.

In this case it sure looks like the driveshaft can't handle the extra RPM.
                        In Brians case....who knows!!! Man I'm SO disappointed that Buford didn't get a chance to hit the strip with sticky meats!!
                        But it looks like you were on borrowed time as it was....

Now comes the slow part of fixing the stuff on Buford that isn't fun...then you can get to the GOOD stuff! I can't wait!
                        Last edited by andy30thz; May 8, 2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Regarding the driveshaft failure today,im not buying that u joint theory..there must have been a weight slipping from the shaft..also the piping could have collapsed under those high rpms...why?..damaged or bent..

Comment

• Something made the driveshaft go south....
                            Older driveshafts were used for ROLL CAGES years ago...
                            Been awhile since I had to build one as we moved up to sliders in our cars. $600+ each..
                            I suspect, like Blazerteam, an imbalance started, then the thin wall shaft collapsed...
                            If you do not get an aftermarket one... Look at mid 70's GM's. Pretty stout... Took my 3-5K rpm F/R shifts.. Shaft usually got F'd up when pulled by the tow rig out of the arena, if a u-joint went...

Comment

• Originally posted by TC View Post
                              See everyone laughs, but flipping the air cleaner truly does make godly amounts of HP.........Enough to rip a driveline into three pieces........
                              torque and frequency breaks stuff.

horsepower is a screaming woman.

glad no one got hurt.
                              the early 4 speed, and convertor..not exactly happy dialing into the tall gear..and the word torque again. My 84 monte used to unbolt its own bellhousing.

big trucks used to twist those like pretzels, todays turbos went a long way to gentle the curve...and keep real power.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Derby Time

I think it's time for it's next eventual step in its automotive journey. Most cars die a very lonely death either in the backyard rusting away or at the hands of an insurance adjuster who says the car isn't worth the repair. Why not end it in full glory? You know, the way all four door family cruisers should end their life. It's time.. you know it.. ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	derbycar copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	861868
                                Last edited by bishir; May 8, 2012, 01:02 PM.
                                Powertour off/on since 2002
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X