Buford T Justice -- the full tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    Hey Andy, the big block will happen in due time, but before that, I thought the small block should get a least a shot at glory, right? Plus, what would I do with all of this stuff if I ditched it now..... ( )
    AWESOME Brian!!! I really wanted to see a "budget" small block in this thing and now you're headed in that direction!

Only thing I'll throw out there, since I don't see them in the pile...is there any time for a set of home ported heads?
    I was thinking if you're gonna have the manifolds off for the headers, as well as the front dress and intake for a cam swap.....it would be a perfect time for smaller chamber/milled home ported heads and rubber coated steel shim head gaskets for increased compression and quench! (not to mention you won't have to worry about breaking off the manifold bolts)

Think about it. I know time is a bitch on these projects so reworking a pair of heads might not be on the table.
    I'd hate to see you over cam it and not have enough compression or gear.... Because no one here has ever done that, right?!?!?!?

I'd love to see you get some thrash time in this configuration next summer!

Comment

• Andy, your idea on the heads is a good one, but what if I told you I was heading to a drag strip with all these parts in a couple of weeks on a Saturday and will be incrementally installing them one by one and making laps after each piece to show the improvement. Oh, pretty sure I will be sleeping in the car...in the pits...in late October. Dumb? You bet!

(If the weather fails, the same premise will apply but we'll do it on a chassis dyno)

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• I hope you have better luck than we did at Beaver springs!

Very cool - and please save the box top from that holley - and frame it - that is supercoolio hotrod art waiting to happen.

will you swap the cam ahead of time or are you doing that in the pits too?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• In the pits, John. My plan is to do the carb, intake, ignition, and headers on Saturday, the pull the motor down, swap the cam on Sunday am and make a couple of runs in the afternoon...then drive the 100 miles home.

The cam is a hydraulic roller.

Comment

• The only part I'm dismay'd at is I'm not going to be there!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• This is the type of depraved, warped, shit you think of while spending hours on end in the car with DF on drag week. HA!

Comment

This is the type of depraved, warped, shit you think of while spending hours on end in the car with DF on drag week. HA!
                He found him an all day sucker that week

Comment

• HA!!! That's a good one.

Comment

This is the type of depraved, warped, shit you think of while spending hours on end in the car with DF on drag week. HA!
                    Yep, it does have a "Roadkill/mini Dragweek thrash" feel to it!!

Dude you're fooking CrAzY!!! I love it, but crazy! I hope you're spraying the exhaust manifold bolts NOW! Don't forget to look at stupid things like how the grill comes out for the cam swap.

Got anybody with a generator and compressor? Can you pull a group of guys together to have a decent crew?

Oh, make sure you look your new parts over good.... I just had a custom ground cam done for a 460 and Lunati ground it on a SBC blank, the 460 part number is even engraved on the end of the cam... I never noticed until the car was torn apart and had it half lubed up and saw the distributor gear was on the wrong end.... Weird stuff happens, try to figure out the stupid things at home and not in the middle of the thrash!

Can't wait! I hope the weather holds out....we got rained out of our last FOUR attempts to get to the track.... I'm surprised anything is still open that late out your way!
                    Last edited by andy30thz; October 17, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Oh, and you plan on having a live video stream of this thrash going the whole time right??

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        The only part I'm dismay'd at is I'm not going to be there!
                        X2! Not to help, but enjoy the entertainment. Drink your beer whike you sweat.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Damit I wish I lived closer.

yes to the KROIL pre - soaking starting yesterday and repeating daily until the event.
                          - will you run open headers after they've been swapped on?
                          Don't forget bailing wire to hold up the remainder of the exhaust systerm
                          - unless you plan on cutting it all out before you go (after the converter) - and using header mufflers for the drive home?

How bad is the FEAD on the front of that thing?
                          Does the rad and condenser have to come out to pull the cam?

I sure hope you can borrow or buy a cordless impact of some sort.....

I think this event deserves the title "EPIC"
                          who's going to co-pilot?
                          got a propane radiant heater and a pop up canopy?
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I am going to have to notch the crossmember for dual exhaust, so my plan is to just drive the car home with open headers. Seriously. What could possibly go wrong cruising through downtown Boston with loud pipes. Guess I am going to find out.

What the hell is FEAD?

Yeah, radiator and condensor will need to exit stage left for the swap.

I have been soaking the manifold bolts. I've actually already gone ahead and stripped off the air injection (plugged holes), ac system, all the lame ass 1980s vacuum lines, and brackets that would normally be in the way in the hopes of making this as smooth as possible. (FYI - NOT GOING TO BE SMOOTH!)

How's this for stupidity? Because the ignition is controlled in part by the awful feedback Q-Jet, normally I wouldn't be able to swap the carb, then the ignition. It would have to be a group deal. Well, I am heading to the junkyard tomorrow to try and find a damned vacuum operated HEI so I can really do this in steps. It may get used for one run. No one ever accused me of being the brightest guy in the room.

Brian
                            Last edited by Brian Lohnes; October 17, 2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• seems a normal plan...
                              won't even need a switch for aftermarket amperages.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I am going to have to notch the crossmember for dual exhaust, so my plan is to just drive the car home with open headers. Seriously. What could possibly go wrong cruising through downtown Boston with loud pipes. Guess I am going to find out.

What the hell is FEAD?

Yeah, radiator and condensor will need to exit stage left for the swap.

I have been soaking the manifold bolts. I've actually already gone ahead and stripped off the air injection (plugged holes), ac system, all the lame ass 1980s vacuum lines, and brackets that would normally be in the way in the hopes of making this as smooth as possible. (FYI - NOT GOING TO BE SMOOTH!)

How's this for stupidity? Because the ignition is controlled in part by the awful feedback Q-Jet, normally I wouldn't be able to swap the carb, then the ignition. It would have to be a group deal. Well, I am heading to the junkyard tomorrow to try and find a damned vacuum operated HEI so I can really do this in steps. It may get used for one run. No one ever accused me of being the brightest guy in the room.

Brian
                                Just get a 2-3 ft section of same dia pipe.. Yes straight pipe and try that on your last run and your drive home... Will be slightly louder than turbo mufflers and you can tell the cop your muffs fell off.. Straight face is very important and matter of fact tone...
                                I'm guessing, a cop will not give you a look as you pass him UNLESS you are throttling it...
                                Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 18, 2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X