Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any updates?

Comment

• Gauges all installed yesterday. Hoping to figure out carb stuff today between interviews for stories!
      Attached Files
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• NICE!
        Is that a boost gauge between the tach and steering column?!?!?!? Or just wishful thinking on my part....?

Can't wait to hear "The Rest Of The Story" on the cam and carb deal!
        Two more months and it will be time to get this thing to the drags and autoX!

Gonna have time to slam gears in it before race season? (See, I am VERY optimistic that you'll sort out your power deficiency with plenty of time to spare!)

Comment

• Two months? The strip opens in like 30 days.

That's a vacuum gauge on the dash.

I am almost ready to throw in the towel on this carb. I have spend hours and hours trying to get it sorted and I cannot come up with a fix. Done everything I can think in terms of checking stuff. Diaphram OK, check ball OK, used compressed air shot down the primaries over the little venturi that "triggers" the secondaries, pulled vacuum diaphragm housing off carb and made sure there were no obstructions or stuff gunked into it, have the lightest spring possible in the carb, etc. I manually tied the secondaries to the linkage with a zip tie and took it for a ride and the thing runs like a raped ape. While it would suck to "give up" on this particular carb....I really am not sure what else to do. I need to grab some fittings and then I am going to bolt on the 750 just for comparison's sake (obviously swapping a carb is like a 20 minute job, so no big deal).

The next major thing that has to happen outside of the carb is exhaust installation. I have a Flowmaster kit for a first generation Chevelle that I think I can make work (WB difference is only one inch between the cars). May take some finagling but man my 'hood is out of gas hearing this thing with the header mufflers and frankly I am too. HA!

After we get back to the dyno again and run the car with either a fixed carb, a different carb, or a "nuclear solution" (tease!) I am going to try another head and intake combo on the engine (iron bowtie vortecs with air gap style dual plane intake). That may be a little later in the spring, but those bowtie vortecs have a super thick deck and I should be able to have them cut down to a 60 cc chamber which would get compression in the upper 9 range or right at 10:1. (They can be cut more than that, but I do not want to do too small with the chambers assuming I will use these heads again on another combo in the future and going too small would leave me with sky high compression with flat top pistons).

Gears will definitely come into the picture at some point. I don't forsee getting all this stuff (heads, intake, gears,) done before the drags open up, but I am definitely shooting to have the carb issues solved, exhaust bolted up, and some more dyno tuning time to dial it all in.

Brian

Comment

• vacuum leak? maybe cheat a vacuum line to the manifold (I'm thinking of how to do this, not thinking of a way quite yet.. but it has to be possible)

Is your base gasket blocking the vacuum port for the secondaries?
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 2, 2013, 08:01 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• What is wrong with the zip tie? DF built an empire (haha) around a hose clamp.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• The only thing I can think of is that there is the wrong gasket between the main body and base plate.

Some carbs are just beyond fixing, never seem to work right. If you know a carb guy nearby, maybe pick their brain. If not, pitch it for a double pumper.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  vacuum leak? maybe cheat a vacuum line to the manifold (I'm thinking of how to do this, not thinking of a way quite yet.. but it has to be possible)

Is your base gasket blocking the vacuum port for the secondaries?
                  that is indeed very common..

a guru could tell you if that carb needs a certain height off the manifold, and maybe even all cold source of air, or heat rised as well.

remember the sun cycle too..it could be perfectly attacked for the next couple of months. Especially if electric choke.

it is rocket science. Cannot hide that fact.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• After spending countless hours trying to figure the carb out, consulting with people who know far more about this junk than me, trying every known diagnostic technique and nearly calling in a local priest for an exorcism. I threw in the towel. A buddy loaned me a mechanical secondary 650 DP.

AND THE OLD LADY IS SINGING NOW!
                    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; March 2, 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• Sweeeeeeeet!!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• same base gasket?
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

• New gasket. Other carb was a spread bore style Holley. This is a normal square bore.

Comment

• You could have used that Thermoquad I sent you
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ron ward View Post
                              you could have used that thermoquad i sent you
                              sacrilege!!
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Man....if you thought this thing was fairly snotty before....it must be an ANIMAL with the secondary’s open!!!!
                                Sucks you couldn't get the old carb figured out....almost sounds like the casting was incorrectly made or something totally bizarre?

It would be very interesting to see flow bench comparison of the Vortec heads VS the worked stockers.
                                Although, I think the heart shaped combustion chamber on the vortecs has a pretty big impact so flow numbers don't tell the whole story.

More head flow means more RPM potential! Gotta get some gears in this bitch!! Then again....with stock rod bolts....I'm not sure just how hard you should turn this thing? You've got plenty of cam, so 6K-6500rpm should be no problem with good heads?

Maybe you should have jerked the motor for the oil pan replacement, stuck good rod bolts in it and decked the block to zero!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X