No announcement yet.

Turning Wrenches - D100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BigDad, I have always admired that Sweptline of yours.

Jesse, I too am dissapointed that I didn't test the current engine combo, but the dyno is a new installation and I still haven't gotten all the accessories for some engine combos. I really only have a limited window of time to get this thing done, so I couldn't hold off on the install. I'll probably get to chassis dyno it, though.

Beagle, I'm hoping for mileage solidly in the 20's on the freeway. I have a 1971 Plymouth Satellite with a 340 and a 4L60E that gets about 20 highway with a Comp XE268. That is just as good as my stock untuned '68 slant six Dart.

On the truck, I'm going to super-tune the Thermoquad at part throttle for mileage, but tune it for max power at WOT; no doubt a chassis dyno will be involved here. I don't think the cranking compression is that high, but will check once everything is done. For max power, that timing will be pretty close, but I'm probably going to run it at about 32 and use 87-octane. This engine is bored to 3.95-inch; I guess you can call it small bore if 4-inch is the benchmark, but the bore is big compared to the 3.31-inch stroke.
    -dulcich
    Last edited by dulcich; April 4, 2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Love this thread, I have a huge soft spot for "LA" engines.
      I had a sweet eldelbrock str-12 crossram for a 340 I was building, but Dad gave it away after I split from home.
      Still pisses me off.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Was just bolting on the headers. Fit great other than the #3 pipe which was right hard up on the crossmember, which also has the brakeline on it. The headers a Summit cheapies. I had to cut an inch out of that pipe and lay it back towards the collector. Plenty of clearance now, but if you were to ding it for clearance you'd have to close off half the tube and you'd still be too close. Other than that, I'm really happy with the fit of these headers.
        -dulcich

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
          Was just bolting on the headers. Fit great other than the #3 pipe which was right hard up on the crossmember, which also has the brakeline on it. The headers a Summit cheapies. I had to cut an inch out of that pipe and lay it back towards the collector. Plenty of clearance now, but if you were to ding it for clearance you'd have to close off half the tube and you'd still be too close. Other than that, I'm really happy with the fit of these headers.
          -dulcich
          I hope I can say the same about these Kook's headers I got for my Camaro.........

Comment

how'd it do?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              how'd it do?
              Hi Beagle,
              Like I said in an earlier post, I just had a limited time window to work on it; have been away down in New Zealand for the last couple weeks, and just got back this weekend. Now getting down to business working on the truck again. Want to get it running soon, but have to work on a few accessory parts, and that's going to take up some time to do it the way I want it.

I've got a lot of carbs, but wanted to build a new one for the truck. Have a nice Thermoquad 9004 core that I'm rebuilding. Was thinking about building a small primary TQ, but the only one I have is a 9002 from a 79-80 IHC 345.

I also wanted to get rid of the horrible RV2 A/C compressor and switch to a C171 axial. Got that and it's in place, but got to make the lines.

I just picked up a kit today for the Saginaw P/S pump, and want to go through that.

With the Magnum style heads, one of the worst aspects of the swap is that the accessory bolt face of the head projects out much more than an old LA head. The alternator will not clear the head in the stock location. I've got to do a few mods to get alternator in. Using a later model (1980's) 87 amp alt. Unfortunately, there is no way the alt will go back in on the stock A/C bracket pivot and clear the Magnum heads, and therefore there is no way the Alt install will look good. It will be pretty easy to get the alt mounting functional, but it will look hack, and for me that's the most painful part of this engine install.

Need to clean and paint the crank and W/P pulleys. They are soaking in a bucket of soup right now.

So, basically, I've got to mess around with the accessories. I could have banged it all together with the greasy and worn-out old stuff, but want to improve it, make it reliable, and clean-looking. Funny thing is, back in the day hanging all this junk off an engine install would be a couple hours of wrenching.
              -dulcich

Comment

Hey dude,

Hope the kids gave you hell in NZ!

Did you talk to the Maori dudes who have your truck?
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                  Did you talk to the Maori dudes who have your truck?
                  Yeah, had to get the Rangi sorted on the Nissan Safari. Being the observant type, last time I was at the yard I noticed the Boys were pulling and piling roofing panels and timber from some of the pitched roofs built over the sea containers. I thought something might be up and said to Rangi, "I know I owe you heaps of money, Mate, and it looks like this place might be going away. I'll get you sorted, but just don't f--- me on the ute." He told me, "No worries, I'll look after ya." That was good enough for me; figured if you can’t trust a Maori to his word, who can you trust?

Well, turns out they lost the lease they had on the place with Transit NZ, and he hauled the thing over to his house. Awesome place he has, 14 acres with large house and indoor pool. He brought a sea container to his property and put my Safari in it. Spent an afternoon out there with Rangi and his clan. Those fellas can drink! Worked out how much I owed and it was a lot of dough, several years back rent on my container, but I had to keep my end of the bargain and paid the whole deal off.

My buddy Ross came up from Wellington, and we went to retrieve the vehicle. Started right up when I hooked the batteries, but the Boys damaged it when they moved it and forklifted it into the new container. The steering stabilizer was crushed so it had no lock to the left, and a bent steering rod. Of course, the Rego and Warrant of Fitness were expired again. Took off the stabilizer and regained the missing left lock, and then headed off. Pulled into a Beaurepaires tire shop in Takanini for air, and borrowed some big truck tire irons and a large floor jack and bent the steering crossover shaft back to straight. No charge, so that was nice.

Headed up to the North Shore following Ross; going over to drop it at a warehouse at Ross's gaming buddy's industrial paint business. Ross was planning to fly up later from Wellington to pick it up and drive it down to his shop and give it a “Birthday.”
                  Everything seemed to be going well, but on the 1 Motorway in Auckland city I hit traffic and started to lose brake pedal. That was kind of a worry, and I slowed down, lost Ross, and drat - left my cell phone in the rental car back at Rangi's. Pulled up and checked if I was losing fluid, but the reservoir was full, and all the wheels were dry. After driving a while more, the brakes came back. Found Ross pulled up a few miles along, dropped the truck in the warehouse, and went over to his pal Dana's house for a BBQ and beers.
                  -dulcich

Comment

sounds like an internal seal in the master cylinder is not happy. I've had bunches of Toyota LCs (40s), and they seemed prone to doing that (something like 4 of 7 had that problem).
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X