Could This Be The End Of Speed Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could This Be The End Of Speed Channel

News Corp.'s Fox is again weighing starting a national cable sports channel to rival Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN juggernaut but there is no guarantee that such an effort will get off the ground.

Fox has toyed with the idea of creating a national sports network for more than a decade. It already owns 20 regional sports networks, including Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket in Los Angeles. Its Fox Broadcasting Company has long-term deals for professional and college football as well as baseball and NASCAR.

A Fox Sports spokesman declined to comment on the renewed speculation about a national sports channel, but people familiar with the matter said there are no immediate plans and dismissed a report in Bloomberg that said the new channel could be launched as soon as late 2012. Given how lucrative its regional channels are, Fox and News Corp. executives have for the most part viewed a national network as a luxury item, not a necessity.

Though Fox Sports is an established brand, going after ESPN would not be cheap. ESPN and its various spinoff channels have dominated the cable sports space and spend heavily to lock up rights. For example, ESPN is paying an average of almost $2 billion a season for "Monday Night Football."

NBC's new parent company Comcast Corp. is also looking to compete more aggressively against ESPN with its NBC Sports Network. NBC has the rights to the Summer Olympics in London and will use the games to boost awareness for its channel.

Sports teams and leagues would no doubt welcome another competitor to ESPN because it would mean one more bidder for rights, which could lead to even higher prices.

Consumers, however, may not have the same reaction. Cable sports channels are already among the most expensive sources of programming. ESPN, for example, costs cable and satellite operators more than $5 a month per subscriber, according to industry consulting firm SNL Kagan. (USA Network, for comparison, costs just over 60 cents per month per subscriber.) Much of that cost is passed on to the consumer. If another channel emerges and drives bills even higher, there could be renewed calls that high-priced sports channels should be sold as separate packages instead of being bundled into basic cable service.

"At some point there may be a real move for a la carte programming," warned David Carter, executive director of USC's Sports Business Institute.

-- Joe Flint

I'd gladly pay less for Satellite or cable to drop ESPN.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Wouldn't bother me if Speed died. Basically nothing more than NASCAR and dumbed down auto drama shows.
      I'm still learning

Comment

i had to get a expanded sports package to get certain channels, mlb, velocity, fuel, speed, ect ect and im on the verge of dropping them since speed is nothing but nascar and reruns of pimp my ride and fuel tv became a mma channel - ugh
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Speed's been dead for years. Time for Bangshift TV to take over

Comment

Plain and simple I hate FOX, I will not watch it.......

Comment

I don't watch Fox News ... or any news for that matter, except to try to catch the weather once in a while when a Hurricane is heading our way... but Fox carries Family Guy, one of the funniest shows on TV, so it's one of the few stations I do watch.

Comment

Speed is my Go to For F1 in the US. Wind Tunnel with Dave Dispain is good too. Bike Road Racing,Moto GP, went away to ???. The Bathhurst 1000 was flat Bad @$$. The rest is just fluff. Back when ESPN was trying to build itself they went to AutoRacing Fans as thier money sorce,we paid the bills because we wanted Auto,or should I say MOTOR Racing on TV.
                SpeedVision filled the niche when ESPN/ESPN2 cast us aside,now they are moving to prepackage(crap) shows because they are cheaper,the LIVE racing cost too much and we don't have Nielsen boxes so they think we don't watch. The casual race fan has figured out NASCAR is barely racing so they are leaving thier Nielsen boxes on other networks.

Speed went to hell when it lost "Vision"

Comment

I miss watching any off-road desert racing... hard to find that stuff in the forest of shows like "car warriors".
                  Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

hell when was the last time speed showed any WRC events ?
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

What is this "Speed Channel" that you speak of...LOL

Comment

I miss the lost drive in and other shows like that, speed has sucked for a long time.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

nobody gushing about stacy david ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                            nobody gushing about stacy david ?
                            He was on Power Tour last year.
                            I R Bob
                            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

SPEED would be well advised to pick up all the old Diamond P folks and use their old format from the TNN days.

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X