Dad's Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's Truck

On March 21, 2012 I lost the most influential man in my life, my Dad. He had a heart attack that morning at home and they couldn't save him. He was a salesman and drove his trucks forever. The one he had is a 2004 F-150 4X4 super cab. It has 244,000 miles on it. My mom said I can have it and other than the suicide doors on the back being a little bit of a hassle with my kids, I think it would work well as a daily for me. My only fear is that it is worn out and will be a constant financial drain. It has been well maintained and runs and drives good. Any thoughts?
    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Sorry to hear about your dad.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      Sorry to hear about your dad.
      Thanks
      I have some other info I left out.
      The truck has a 3V 5.4.
      My current daily is a 2004 grand Cherokee with 84,500 miles that is paid for. Keeping both is only an option if I factor in a divorce.

Comment

x2 sorry about dad man.

244k is a lot of miles for that 3v 5.4. I get calls once a week for them.
        They're not cheap to replace, a used 160k motor is $1600-up.
        Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just stating the facts...

Comment

Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
          Thanks
          I have some other info I left out.
          The truck has a 3V 5.4.
          My current daily is a 2004 grand Cherokee with 84,500 miles that is paid for. Keeping both is only an option if I factor in a divorce.
          I am sorry about your dad, that roundly sucks.

I honestly hope that the divorce talk is melodrama - seriously, everyone needs a truck and while using it as a DD would be cool; perhaps it'd be better to simply use it when necessary. Selling the 84k Cherokee for a 244k truck would be a poor trade; however, working on your dad's truck as both a hauler and because it was your dad's could be therapeutic
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

244k is a lot for any vehicle. Sorry for your loss. Keep both. The 5.4 is a good engine if maintained well(except spark plugs),
            used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Drew, super sorry to hear about your pop. Like the other guys, I think I am on the "244,000 is a lot of miles" wagon. If the front and and stuff is in good condition and the motor has been maintained, maybe you can get another 50-60 out of it before something major happens? Then again next week the timing chain could break. Ungh.

Tough call because I can certainly appreciate your wanting to keep the truck.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks for the condolences and the input. Yes the divorce talk is a little melodramatic. Emotion definitely leads to keeping the truck, I have some time to think about it as we decided to wait at least six months to make any decisions about anything.

Comment

Well , bummer. Sorry to hear. Losing Dad is a real life changer. you also realize.....Your only 21 yrs behind. (in my case) . In my case dad had a taurus. Didn't want it. Since I don't believe the wife really wanted the 'Bird.....and your limited parking ( since you can't hide it in the back yard ,I'd keep the jeep and pass on the truck. Hey did that little package make it down there . Or did the post office rip me off.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Got it, thanks again.

Comment

My condolences on your loss Drew...went through the same thing last August.

I, too, wound up with my Dad's truck...in my case, a 1990 1-ton ext.-cab Chevy with a 454 and TH400. Gas-chugger(sucking would not properly describe it's thirst for dead dino juice)...but having space to park it and just using it as needed helps too(as does it having a relatively fresh replacement 454).

Tough call, man...but if you really don't need it(and with that many miles on that year of truck), best to pass it on to someone else.

Comment

too much junk follows me home and squats permanently on my property so I have nothing for you on the Ford and it sounds like it was a tool for your dad. I have the ex's dad's F150, paid way too much for it, but that's another story and I still don't regret it.

Our condolences to you and yours, my dad is 81 and I will never be ready to lose him. There's just no preparing for that. I like your plan to not do anything for a bit. I know my head wouldn't be clear for a while. Give the family a hug for us.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                        X