Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new Project Car/ Daily Driver / Track Rat toy that I may buy. ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Project Car/ Daily Driver / Track Rat toy that I may buy. ????????

The red 83 Mustang GT just popped up for sale by a friend for $1500. It has a low mileage carbed roller 5.0, T5, a decent interior, leaky T Tops, and a little rust here and there.

Was thinking of buying it, and adding the 5 lug disk brake parts, Koni struts & shocks, and suspension, the 7.5 3.73 ratio posi rear all from the dereilict donor SVO Mustang that is still at my house due to the owner falling off the face of the earth after I bought and removed the $300 worth of engine/trans for my Pace car, and me not having a way to get a title for it now that its still in my backyard 2 years later.

Also add in the B303 cam and aluminum intake from the $150 core engine I bought to add to the Pace car project,
    all rolling on the wheels and tires bought for $300 from the blue 08 GT, which I just got from my friend Matt, after he put 18" s on it.

Thats a total up front out-of-pocket project cost of $2250, add in my free labor to put it all together, plus all the little costs to complete and update.

Opinions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mustang13; March 31, 2012, 08:54 AM.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

rats , thought you bought a corvette

buyers market out there

Comment

True about the buyers market Jimbo.

Vette's are CHEAP right now!

Comment

Hell I would buy it and swap everything in, except I have Cleveland power if I want to make a Fox move. Looks like a decent car from the pic, the only thing that sucks about it is the T top, but for a street car that can be ok.

Comment

does not look too bad seems to be a rust hole right above the rocker molding infront of the rear wheel though i would look at that carefuly might just be paint chipping
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Is this a poll? If so, Pace Car.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You know Randall, if I had a title for the Pace car I wouldn't even be thinking of this project.

Comment

Ah, okay, I didn't realize that was the issue. Dare I ask what the issues would be from getting one? I just jumped through a bunch of Nevada DMV hoops to get a title for the '69 Firebird I bought in December because Alabama didn't do titles on cars that old. It was a pain but doable (and worth it).

(I'm not a fan of cars that can't be driven on the street, so I get where you are coming from now)
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; March 31, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Gee here in Michigan they make it easy to get a title. You can get a title for a car you scratch built really easy. The 65 GTO came without a title, it hadnt run in at least 30 years, so it was long gone. I took the VIN to the Secretary of State (Our version of DMV) paid $15, and two weeks later got a shiny new title for a severely rusted car. Know anyone in Michigan with some time on their hands? Im not sure how many you can do, you know, if there is a limit or anything, and I have five more to do. I suppose you could sell me the Mustang so I could title it...

Comment

Here in AZ you have a couple of choices, one is do an abandoned title, you fill out the paper work, they try to get in touch with the last registered owner and if no one responds in the time period they set, the car is yours and a new title in your name will be issued.......Second you can do a Bonded Title, where basically you put up a bond encase someone comes forth to claim the car.....There are still hoops to jump through going that way, but not as many as going for the abandoned title..........

Comment

Yeah, the only way I've found in NY state to get a lost title for a car is to use an out of state title research company, most of which charge $500 plus for the service with NO promise of success. I don't want to do the "new identity" VIN switch-a-rue with the Pace car because, well, it'll never be a Pace car again by VIN.

And I agree Randall 100%, a car that lives on a car trailer for transport isn't really that much fun.

Another plan that did hatch in my mind over night, use the red cars identity, V8 and misc. parts all on the Pace car, and part out and sell whats leave of the red car and the junk SVO to recoupe the out of pocket $ spent.

Comment

In TX, they won't let you put an abandoned car back on the street - they won't issue a title for abandoned cars. You can, however, put a storage lien on it and acquire a bonded title that way. 2 years storage at 50bucks a month (reasonable for uncovered storage) is probably more than the car would be sellable for, I would think you could do that?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Maine seems to have waaay lax registering laws, any chance you know someone there that can "buy" the car and "sell" it back to you after they register it, and maybe get a title? May be a way to get something moving. When I was in Alabama picking up the Firebird I heard a story about someone using the lax Alabama registering laws to get a car registered then took it back to Georgia or where ever to get that state's registration.

Here in Nevada, they just ran the VIN through the stolen car registry, said it'd take two or three weeks, and if nothing popped up a title would show up. And it did. I wouldn't switch VIN's either.
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 1, 2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

vin swaps are cool as long as there are NO stolen parts on the car. My dad had a motorcycle - XL 250 - that didn't come with a title, and had a cracked (not sure of the term) part on the engine (where the vin is located). He bought another part from a motorcycle salvage yard, repaired it, then took the motorcycle down to the State Police for a vin inspection. That part came back stolen. It branded the entire motorcycle vins - and the cops basically told him that he needed to surrender the bike. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed (because the cops now had the salvage yard selling stolen parts); but he could not register the bike until he replaced that top plate with the vin.

As for 500 and no success? There's a company out of Las Vegas that charges 180 and they will file for then send you a title from Georgia (IIRC) - another no title state. From there you simply follow the rules for bringing a car in from out of state.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 1, 2012, 07:28 AM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I lost the title on the Monte Carlo. Went down to AAA (worth every penny not to have to go to Cali's DMV.) filled out a form, paid a fee; and I got it a few weeks later.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X